Who wins 1C and 2C

Topper22

Now that we know the odds on favorite for 2D and and we all agree 1D is a toss up. Who will the teams out of D be facing coming semi finals and why? 

My picks are Radford In 2C and 1C is a three way toss up between Galax , GW and Grayson with GW being favorites the way Galax offense is one dimensional this year in a bad scheme for it . 

1 hour ago, Red Rabbit said:

The RED TEAM  will be waiting for a "  G " team in Salem !

I didn't know Essex (who beat King William) wore Red? Seriously, the game with Riverheads and Essex out of Region 1A could be a classic. I know....Riverheads has had their way with them over the years, but this Essex team is among their best in a while and Riverheads is still state title good, but not state title 30 to 35 pts better than everyone else good. Right now, Calpreps has Essex 34, Riverheada 27.

2 hours ago, Topper22 said:

Now that we know the odds on favorite for 2D and and we all agree 1D is a toss up. Who will the teams out of D be facing coming semi finals and why? 

My picks are Radford In 2C and 1C is a three way toss up between Galax , GW and Grayson with GW being favorites the way Galax offense is one dimensional this year in a bad scheme for it . 

Going with Galax in a nailbiter over GW. I've wavered back and forth with them and GW. I think it's a tossup game. There's just something about Galax bringing their A game against GW. I think GW is 3 to 7 points better, but that doesn't mean much. That's not a lot of difference. Calpreps has it 21-12 in favor of Galax right now. 

7 hours ago, Topper22 said:

Grayson has played a weak schedule so far we will know how good they truly are in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

The RED TEAM  will be waiting for a "  G " team in Salem !

You know the sad part about all of the red teams championship wins -is that they will forever have asterisks beside them. Since they are a 2A school disguised as a 1A. Nothing proved that more then them fighting to stay in 1A with absolutely no geographic reason for it.  

Topper, I respectfully disagree with you.....Until the argument/appeal by Riverheads was placesd to stay Class 1 this year, and now I certainly agree.. I still can't really believe it...in that they attempted it. I just can't believe it. I think there would have been some/maybe just a touch of talk about RH being a large Class 1 school with Class 2 numbers or RV walking closely on the boundaries, but nothing more and any talk like that gone in 5-10 years and what would be left was absolute elite history with greatness.

But......when they appealed to play down a couple months ago, it put a really bad taste in other mouths. Just absolute insanity by RH to appeal and talking about an ignorant PR move and reputation killer that will put a perceived asterisk by these titles, well that did it. I truly wonder if the AD or school officials or whoever really thought that through. 

I am sure their kids are solid and most of their fans are also, but I lost all respect for their AD or whoever was behind the decision to appeal. There's just no way a reasonable fan can respect that decision to actually appeal and try to stay Class 1. 

On 10/5/2022 at 11:21 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Topper, I respectfully disagree with you.....Until the argument/appeal by Riverheads was placesd to stay Class 1 this year, and now I certainly agree.. I still can't really believe it...in that they attempted it. I just can't believe it. I think there would have been some/maybe just a touch of talk about RH being a large Class 1 school with Class 2 numbers or RV walking closely on the boundaries, but nothing more and any talk like that gone in 5-10 years and what would be left was absolute elite history with greatness.

But......when they appealed to play down a couple months ago, it put a really bad taste in other mouths. Just absolute insanity by RH to appeal and talking about an ignorant PR move and reputation killer that will put a perceived asterisk by these titles, well that did it. I truly wonder if the AD or school officials or whoever really thought that through. 

I am sure their kids are solid and most of their fans are also, but I lost all respect for their AD or whoever was behind the decision to appeal. There's just no way a reasonable fan can respect that decision to actually appeal and try to stay Class 1. 

So is the board just completely eliminating Appomattox this year? 

9 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

So is the board just completely eliminating Appomattox this year? 

If you haven't done so, watch some of their games on NFHS. They have Pennix and some other speed, but their line play is not very good.

Nowhere near the team they've been the last several years.

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

If you haven't done so, watch some of their games on NFHS. They have Pennix and some other speed, but their line play is not very good.

Nowhere near the team they've been the last several years.

Completely off topic but any truth to Union picking up Science Hill and Twin Springs if so who was dropped burton and TW???

2 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Completely off topic but any truth to Union picking up Science Hill and Twin Springs if so who was dropped burton and TW???

Yes. I think we go to TS and SH comes to us next year.

As far as I know, Burton and TW were dropped.

Looking forward to SH!

Just now, Union_Fan said:

Yes. I think we go to TS and SH comes to us next year.

As far as I know, Burton and TW were dropped.

Looking forward to SH!

I’m surprised SH would travel year one but should be interesting not sure why we’d pick up twin springs though pretty sure they’re gonna have a big drop off after this class graduates 

2 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I’m surprised SH would travel year one but should be interesting not sure why we’d pick up twin springs though pretty sure they’re gonna have a big drop off after this class graduates 

They tried to do SH for the current cycle, but SH wanted both games at home, so that fell apart. That's how we ended up with TW.

As for TS, it's my understanding they wanted it and are very excited to be playing Union. I can only guess that this game is a result of the 2 former PV guys on their staff.

35 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

They tried to do SH for the current cycle, but SH wanted both games at home, so that fell apart. That's how we ended up with TW.

As for TS, it's my understanding they wanted it and are very excited to be playing Union. I can only guess that this game is a result of the 2 former PV guys on their staff.

Yeah gotta brother in law coaching there 

On the “other board”, most posters are handing Radford the 2C crown & state championship. As far as 1C, I agree about GW QB, get him back & utilize the backup QB in another position, he’s a great athlete too. I think they have a legitimate chance all things being considered. 

45 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

On the “other board”, most posters are handing Radford the 2C crown & state championship. As far as 1C, I agree about GW QB, get him back & utilize the backup QB in another position, he’s a great athlete too. I think they have a legitimate chance all things being considered. 

I think Radford is the favorite in C, but I can't speak to what the Eastern side of the state has to crown them champions just yet.

As for GW and Galax, I think both have a legitimate shot at a state title this year.

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Their making mistake.  We've got awesome talent at skilled positions & will be hard to throw on, and we can pass and spread teams out and score, but we are equal on the line of scrimmage with Martinsville, Appomattox, and I give Glenvar a slight edge on the LOS.  Union, Graham, Woodstock, Poquoson, and Luray are better than us on the line of scrimmage. I haven't seen King William or Ridgeview yet.  Raddy is good enough to win a state title, but we aren't good enough on the line of scrimmage to be an easy pick for a state title.  A team like Graham, Union, Central Woodstock, Luray, or Poquoson that runs the ball well will give us problems.  Glenvar always plays its best game against us and we've had problems with them.  The talk in C is Martinsville, Appo, and Raddy of course, but people are counting Glenvar out.  Glenvar is good enough to win C as far as talent across the board.

I think we’re starting to see the separation between Class 1 and Class 2 we’ve all known was coming. That separation between Class 1 and Class 2 right now may be as wide as the separation between Class 2 and Class 4. 

Several area teams have lost a single player to injury and the lack of depth becomes immediately recognizable. 

I also believe C and D were much closer than people think last season with the exception of Galax. Galax has taken a step or two backward this season so those two regions appear to be much closer now. If Galax doesn’t get the offense figured out, they aren’t making the annual trip to Salem. 

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I think we’re starting to see the separation between Class 1 and Class 2 we’ve all known was coming. That separation between Class 1 and Class 2 right now may be as wide as the separation between Class 2 and Class 4. 

Several area teams have lost a single player to injury and the lack of depth becomes immediately recognizable. 

I also believe C and D were much closer than people think last season with the exception of Galax. Galax has taken a step or two backward this season so those two regions appear to be much closer now. If Galax doesn’t get the offense figured out, they aren’t making the annual trip to Salem. 

You are very on point here.  Galax is wasting one of the best receivers in the state last year in 1A in a QB position in which all he is doing is handing the ball off to a running back. A running back I might add ran the ball 43 times  Friday for 280 yards.  Galax is running a power offense out of a spread formation but the line is foot to foot. So what they are trying to accomplish is beyond me. It seems to me they are just making it hard on themselves.  Grayson is running the same offense but as it was intended , with traps, counters, sweeps and short passing routes  mixed with deep shots.   The games I have watched of them the kids are playing their balls off only to have the coaches failing them by making things unerringly hard. 

2 hours ago, Topper22 said:

You are very on point here.  Galax is wasting one of the best receivers in the state last year in 1A in a QB position in which all he is doing is handing the ball off to a running back. A running back I might add ran the ball 43 times  Friday for 280 yards.  Galax is running a power offense out of a spread formation but the line is foot to foot. So what they are trying to accomplish is beyond me. It seems to me they are just making it hard on themselves.  Grayson is running the same offense but as it was intended , with traps, counters, sweeps and short passing routes  mixed with deep shots.   The games I have watched of them the kids are playing their balls off only to have the coaches failing them by making things unerringly hard. 

They put him out wide Friday night with the younger QB for a series or so. They have been working on some different things at practice and time will tell how much of it gets incorporated in games. They only have the two options at QB and as of now I guess they think they're going with the best they have. 

The freshman QB showed Friday night why he hasn’t played. He’s obviously not ready. 

This scenario is exactly why I’ve always said small schools should run an offense that doesn’t rely on the development of QB’s. Small schools are going to have periods where none are available and it derails a whole season.