first round dates and times

Real Sasquatch

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

With all these Thursday games, is the AOA going to have enough referees?

I know they were hoping to have a couple of games on Saturday to relieve some of the burden.  They definitely got that relief but now Thursday gets super tricky as many officials may have not planned for time off work to make those games easy to assign.  

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I know they were hoping to have a couple of games on Saturday to relieve some of the burden.  They definitely got that relief but now Thursday gets super tricky as many officials may have not planned for time off work to make those games easy to assign.  

It’s easy to forget (or not even consider) officials have day jobs. Moving so many games at once like this always causes heartburn for somebody. It makes for a tough situation for some. 

1 hour ago, MT FAN 91 said:

They're now calling for 1" Thursday night and 1"-2" Friday with showers Friday night, hopefully the heavy stuff won't start till after the games Thursday night 

They are also forecasting 20 MPH plus winds for Thursday. May give some teams like Giles an advantage. Any wind conditions like that will not benefit Grayson as much as they throw it. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

It’s easy to forget (or not even consider) officials have day jobs. Moving so many games at once like this always causes heartburn for somebody. It makes for a tough situation for some. 

May lead to the best folks available who work/live closer to game sites for those matchups.  Worked a game at Galax and one at Grayson where a fellow official couldnt leave until finishing a bus route.  Certainly made for a rushed feeling trying to get there with any extra room to spare.

14 hours ago, sixcat said:

With all these Thursday games, is the AOA going to have enough referees?

We're good. If anything, you may see some crews more than once this weekend or some pretty stout pieced together crews with solid experience across the field if they normally do not work together. When I came in, no first or second year officials got playoff games, now it is necessary by the numbers to put them there. That being said, with how lopsided some of these first round matchups should be, not only is it great that we have enough to cover, but we are getting those newer guys some real playoff experience and learning from some of the veterans. 

At the moment, it looks like the AD's moving games to Thursday are going to get this one right. That is, until the forecast changes for the 73rd time this week. 

As of now, the forecast in Galax is projected to be 57* with no rain during the game time window. 

38 minutes ago, sixcat said:

At the moment, it looks like the AD's moving games to Thursday are going to get this one right. That is, until the forecast changes for the 73rd time this week. 

As of now, the forecast in Galax is projected to be 57* with no rain during the game time window. 

Guess it depends on which forecast you look at, weather channel says 58% at 7, 72% at 8 and 85% at 9 Thursday night but I hope the forecast you're looking at is correct 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

But the thing about Thursday is a short week of practice for teams where Saturday gives an extra day. I heard some coaching staffs  weren’t even asked if they preferred Thursday or Saturday, decision was made without consulting them. Maybe that’s normal but it seems like you’d ask the head coach when deciding. 

6 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

But the thing about Thursday is a short week of practice for teams where Saturday gives an extra day. I heard some coaching staffs  weren’t even asked if they preferred Thursday or Saturday, decision was made without consulting them. Maybe that’s normal but it seems like you’d ask the head coach when deciding. 

If we get the amount of rain they're calling for most fields will be a mess on Saturday unless they have turf 

24 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I don't think Galax is concerned with a short practice week considering the opponent. I'm sure that's a concern for other teams and coaches though. 

51 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I don't think Galax is concerned with a short practice week considering the opponent. I'm sure that's a concern for other teams and coaches though. 

Yeah, probably a Thursday game this week is better for most teams than next week with a probable tougher opponent. I just found it odd that some coaches weren’t asked if they had a preference but maybe that’s just standard procedure and a decision left to principals & ADs.