2D First Round: #8 Central @ #1 Graham

SwvaOG

Central is young and similar to Union.  I’d say Graham, but wouldn’t be surprised if this is closer than the experts think.  Going by what Graham fans say, Union’s style isn’t a good matchup for them.  
In the end, expect a 35-14 type score. 

Except for Ridgeview, haven’t Central’s other losses been by one score? Theoretically, they could as easily be 9-1 as 4-6??? Maybe their record isn’t an indicator of their ability??? The game being at Mitchell on a Friday night gives Graham a good hometown advantage. I feel like GMen will come out ready to play Central as tough as they are capable. As long as Graham doesn’t turn it over & have 200+ penalty yardage, I think GMen will probably face Union in round 2 which seems to be the norm lately in the playoffs. 

Would love to see Central play the Palmer Greater Bluefield All-Stars to a close and physical game.  Gmen will sell out to stop the run and Central doesn’t have enough in the air to keep it closer than 14.

40 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Except for Ridgeview, haven’t Central’s other losses been by one score? Theoretically, they could as easily be 9-1 as 4-6??? Maybe their record isn’t an indicator of their ability??? The game being at Mitchell on a Friday night gives Graham a good hometown advantage. I feel like GMen will come out ready to play Central as tough as they are capable. As long as Graham doesn’t turn it over & have 200+ penalty yardage, I think GMen will probably face Union in round 2 which seems to be the norm lately in the playoffs. 

Played Union close but 120 penalty yards for Union to 10 for Central was the main reason it was close stat wise they where dominated 

good chance to see a running clock in this one 

10 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Would love to see Central play the Palmer Greater Bluefield All-Stars to a close and physical game.  Gmen will sell out to stop the run and Central doesn’t have enough in the air to keep it closer than 14.

Don’ think this one will be close.  Graham will be able to name the score.  It’s awesome for Central that they made it in though.  

Graham can throw it when they need to.   Central's run defense is pretty good which is Graham's strongpoint, but Graham is versatile and can quickly go to the air with the long ball or the short passing game.  I think this is a game where Graham does more damage through the air, and you may see Graham with less of the long-sustained running drives, and more of the big plays that go for scores.  

52 minutes ago, Hokie Bound said:

Coach Palmer has something special going on at Graham.

I don’t know how far Graham will go this year but I think the difference between Graham & some other teams is Coach Palmer and his staff have those boys going into every game with a winning mentality. I think a lot of folks figured with the Seniors that Graham lost last year that Graham would struggle to fill the shoes of Turner-Bradshaw, Zach Blevins, Brody Meadows, etc.  The GMen of 2022 have risen to the occasion. 

Coaches have to create a winning culture, Tony Palmer has done that at Graham. He’s got a great mixture of knowledge guys on his staff.  Those boys would run through a brick wall for their coaches. They have them  at it all year long. They lived in the weight room during the off-season. I think the team is also reaping those benefits especially at the LOS.

Even with the loss of last year’s Senior class, the ones left have stepped up , “Winning Culture”. Football is as much a head game & physical game. When a team gets off the bus thinking they are going to lose, they will. If a team believes they will win (whether they do or not) , their chances are greatly improved, lol. 

1 minute ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Carter Lloyd

Does the above imply that all the rest up front are seniors? Isn't the kid that came from Mount View a sophomore this year?  He played defense last year against Appomattox and did well as a freshmen, I think.  Hill, or Holt?  Something like that.

3 minutes ago, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

Does the above imply that all the rest up front are seniors? Isn't the kid that came from Mount View a sophomore this year?  He played defense last year against Appomattox and did well as a freshmen, I think.  Hill, or Holt?  Something like that.

Yeah Omarri Hill. I know the center Alvis, Dolin, Roberts are all seniors. I think Rotenberry comes back.

13 minutes ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Yeah Omarri Hill. I know the center Alvis, Dolin, Roberts are all seniors. I think Rotenberry comes back.

Hill is a Soph., Rodenberry a Junior, and Lloyd a Junior. 

Just now, Gridiron60 said:

I agree. I was speaking of the ones we’re losing.  

Yes, you are correct! Graham is in good hands for the foreseeable future. Alot of young kids are getting playing time.