2D First Round: #5 Union @ #4 Gate City

SwvaOG

My source has told me the game has been moved to Saturday not for weather its to give union time to see if they even going to have enough to even play. Source has said that almost the entire team has the flu now. Including coaching staff good thing we have 25 coaches. It will be decided by late Thurs if Union will forfeit the game due to sickness. Not looking good in the bear den.

11 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

My source has told me the game has been moved to Saturday not for weather its to give union time to see if they even going to have enough to even play. Source has said that almost the entire team has the flu now. Including coaching staff good thing we have 25 coaches. It will be decided by late Thurs if Union will forfeit the game due to sickness. Not looking good in the bear den.

That’s too bad. I don’t like seeing teams have to forfeit. Hate it for Union because if they’re all that sick and can’t play then they lose by forfeit. Hate it for Gate City because know they won’t wanna win for that reason. But it’s not Gate City’s fault. Or Union’s. That just happens. 

This is going be a looooong flu season I’m afraid. 

26 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Yeah I talked to someone there close to the team also and they said it was really bad. Said that they wasn’t able to practice any so if they do get to play, they will have no preparation for it. Was hoping to get another shot at Graham also. 

Just now, UKCAT said:

Yeah I talked to someone there close to the team also and they said it was really bad. Said that they wasn’t able to practice any so if they do get to play, they will have no preparation for it. 

Yeah not looking good. I guess we all just wait until Thurs to see what happens now. My guess only is if and it's a big if. Union has more then 8 starters out game don't get  played.

49 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Yeah not looking good. I guess we all just wait until Thurs to see what happens now. My guess only is if and it's a big if. Union has more then 8 starters out game don't get  played.

If it's the bug I've known most to have including me it passes quick so hopefully they at least have enough to play

Saturday is a ways off, hopefully Union has enough players healthy enough to play. I heard flu season was going to be bad this year & I know lots of schools have had the flu hit already. A friend of mine entire family is battling it right now, both parents & all the kids. It spreads like wildfire for sure. 

Have all the local playoff games been moved to Saturday? Hope not so I might be able to catch more than one. Also hope everyone gets healthy soon. Was looking forward to seeing the union and gate city rematch. If the bears are healthy I believe they’ll leave with the W. 

I doubt that Union would miss a playoff game, unless they were all in the hospital. If they have enough to put 11 on the field on offense and defense, they will be there to play!

On 11/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, BandanaPartyBoyDavis4321 said:

I am being honest here. I wouldn't report it.  Period! Covid isn't leaving. It's here for life.  If you have the flu and/or Covid and you feel like playing, then you are playing.

Why the above? The risk to the kid? If he's too unhealthy, he is NOT playing, but if feels fine, it's no increased risk to him.

Now the controversial but True statement. He is also Not an increased risk to his teammates or the community. We have seen this picture. Quarantine, isolation does not effectively lower than transmission of Covid to the general population unless you are older and already more isolated. The kid with Covid has exposed HUNDREDS by the time the positive result is in. We aren't slowing the Covid thing down. A virus will DO, what a Virus will DO. The kids that the Covid kid is playing with on the field? They were already exposed to Covid by some other student 10 times over that same day in school before the game.

Just my opinion. Society is too soft and it's one thing if overwhelming data is present, but it's not. With lockdowns, which we're a good attempt that I agreed with initially, they haven't worked. Covid DID what Covid was going to do and there was no stopping it other than of course, medications. If we get medication developed that KILLS the virus, then Covid becomes on the ropes and in trouble. 

Agree with the added caveat; the flu, nor it’s shot, doesn’t pose a risk for myocarditis. That’s my primary concern and I fear it’s under reported. 

4 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Agree with the added caveat; the flu, nor it’s shot, doesn’t pose a risk for myocarditis. That’s my primary concern and I fear it’s under reported. 

And in any given year 60 k young adults die from complications of flu because they do not get flu vaccine.  It does help unlike covid. I had covid vaccine then got covid 2 tes afterwards. I get flu vaccine and have not gotten flu since I started getting it.

1 hour ago, ghs73 said:

And in any given year 60 k young adults die from complications of flu because they do not get flu vaccine.  It does help unlike covid. I had covid vaccine then got covid 2 tes afterwards. I get flu vaccine and have not gotten flu since I started getting it.

I’ve read Covid vaccine only helps keep you from getting really sick not from getting it but who the hell knows what’s going on anymore 

3 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I’ve read Covid vaccine only helps keep you from getting really sick not from getting it but who the hell knows what’s going on anymore 

But it was marketed to the masses as a preventative until the masses realized it didn’t prevent a person from getting the virus. They had to backtrack after vilifying people who chose to not be vaccinated but I digress, lol. I take the flu shot every year but I’m not taking any injection Covid related, no thanks! I took it in the beginning because the government told us it prevented Covid. They can keep their boosters, I’m good. 

I do hope the Union players are well enough to play. These opportunities are short for the majority HS football players & every game a special memory at this point for Seniors especially. 

27 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The version of  this years' flu is pretty rough..  It's going through the schools like wildfire like now too.

I wonder if it’s tougher this year because I didn’t hear of anyone getting it last 2 years so maybe it’s hitting harder without the immunities being built up 

4 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I wonder if it’s tougher this year because I didn’t hear of anyone getting it last 2 years so maybe it’s hitting harder without the immunities being built up 

Not sure, but the couple of people I know that have had it had fever for a few days, terrible body aches, bad cough...felt pretty terrible in general.  

Covid shots and booster here. Flu shot too. Covid swept through our police dept for 2 years, the only three that didn’t get  it was 2 other co-workers and myself , all three took the shots . My wife grandkids who live with us all had Covid but the shots made it easier on them. Dumb luck who knows . To each their own , your body your life , do what you want . Union May play but it’s hard to play good when you been sic and Gate City is good 

29 minutes ago, Dawg01 said:

Just got told that the entire team except 70 hall and 10 Anderson are now sick and yes alot of participating at practice yesterday. But that could have led to this recent break out.

Yea heard a lot tried to practice but they were sick so not sure what kind of condition the team will be in by Saturday. Hang in there boys. Go Bears 

21 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I wonder if it’s tougher this year because I didn’t hear of anyone getting it last 2 years so maybe it’s hitting harder without the immunities being built 

Prayers for the young men from Union to get better, and be back on their feet at full strength.