Graham vs Bluefield

KW23

Will it be a good game this year? Or is one team much better than the other?  Im thinking about attending this game this year but as a neutral fan I dont want to go watch a beat down. Thanks

Just now, KW23 said:

Will it be a good game this year? Or is one team much better than the other?  Im thinking about attending this game this year but as a neutral fan I dont want to go watch a beat down. Thanks

It won't be a beatdown this year.

Should be a good game, both teams are strong and returning a lot. Penalties are usually a problem for GMen and that could hurt them. It will be interesting to see how both teams stack up on LOS. Hopefully, down to the wire with the GMen victorious! 🤞🤞

3 hours ago, KW23 said:

Plan to get there early and take in the atmosphere.  Tailgating, 10,000 plus in attendance, excellent venue, part of the Great American Rivalry series and all of the hoopla that goes with that..  and most likely a very good game.  Worth the trip to see, even if it turns out a little lopsided either way.  I would give Graham the early edge, but it seems that in the past, that even when Graham was the favorite, Bluefield managed to pull out the victory.  Bluefield should be very good, despite the loss of their outstanding running back Amir Hairston to a season ending injury at a football camp.  Plenty of returning talent from last season for both teams.

8 hours ago, Graham32 said:

Hard to believe in the entire rivalry Graham has never beaten Bluefield 3 years in a row. Hope they get it done this year. Should be a dandy.

I have no idea who wins.  A good mate from the WV side of the line tells me Graham has never won 3 in a row and there have been times where Graham was favs to win that third game, only for Bluefield to win it.  He said, "this year will be no different."  I told him one possible difference in the variables and history that goes against the normal.  Graham has also never played for 3 state titles in 5 years in its history (winning 2 of them), and Bluefield, WV, has taken far more of a population hit since 1940 compared to Bluefield, VA.  What I'm getting at is....the numbers are closing.  The difference in student population size between Bluefield and Graham 60 years ago has slowly decreased to the present.  So, there are a couple variables in play that have never been present in the history of the series that could make picking Graham more "statistically" rational to win a 3rd game in a row for the first time.  

With that written above, I'm picking?  I don't have a clue.  It's game one.  No way for me to be able to tell.  I will safely pick Giles over Blacksburg.  I know enough about my team and what it returns and Blacksburg and what they return to make that pick.  But, if one is picking Bluefield purely on statistical history in the series, just be aware that a couple variables that go into that statistical history of Graham never having won 2 games have changed, and have never been present in the history of the series.  

The winner of this game will have an undefeated season and state championship. The loser will only have one loss and a state championship.

Graham is always the underdog no matter how good of a team they have. Bluefield will be ready to play after losing the past two years. 

If it wasn't for Bluefield's rb being injured, I would say Bluefield will take it this year. But I will be a homer and pick the G-Men to win in another very close game and beat the Beavers 3 years in a row for the first time ever.

3 hours ago, bgibb said:

The winner of this game will have an undefeated season and state championship. The loser will only have one loss and a state championship.

Graham is always the underdog no matter how good of a team they have. Bluefield will be ready to play after losing the past two years. 

If it wasn't for Bluefield's rb being injured, I would say Bluefield will take it this year. But I will be a homer and pick the G-Men to win in another very close game and beat the Beavers 3 years in a row for the first time ever.

I hope you’re right on all counts. 🤞

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I hope you’re right on all counts. 🤞

Don’t know a thing about Bluefield but he’s right about Graham.  No one around here at least is beating them 

9 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Don’t know a thing about Bluefield but he’s right about Graham.  No one around here at least is beating them 

Union always plays them close. I think Union plays better at Mitchell against Graham. I’m not handing the GMen any win automatically. They’ll have to prove themselves every game. There were some big shoes to fill that graduated. I’m excited to see the Bluefield game. It’s always a fun atmosphere! 

8 hours ago, bgibb said:

ive heard this said a few times but after looking up bluefield they haven't won a state championship since 2017.  In fact last year they finished the year with a losing record 5-6.  I may be in minority but I think graham could win big this year.

23 minutes ago, KW23 said:

ive heard this said a few times but after looking up bluefield they haven't won a state championship since 2017.  In fact last year they finished the year with a losing record 5-6.  I may be in minority but I think graham could win big this year.

I don’t know how big, but I sort of agree with this take. Bluefield always has athletes, especially when compared to most of WV and SWVA, but I think lately most of us probably are deceived by past reputation as basis for overestimating the Beavers. 

I'm sold on Bluefield.  Bluefield started 0-4 last year, then went on a bunch of wins and gave Indepedence a war, an absolute battle on Indy's home field in the playoffs.  Indy won the state title and nobody played them remotely close in the playoffs (other than Bluefield).  Indy took Fairmont Senior completely apart.  Bluefield, by the end of the game 10, was the 2nd best AA team in the state of West Virginia last year, and they were unfortunate enough to have to play Independence early in the playoffs.

Guys, just my opinion, and many Graham fans in my opinion would probably agree.  Don't sleep on Bluefield.  This isn't the only time in history where Graham has been favored by most to win a 3rd game only to be shocked.  I don't know enough about either team to make the call who wins, but 'I am going to make this prediction.  Graham ain't winning big over Bluefield this year.  Bluefield returns to much from what ended the season as a very, very good team.  The loss of Hairston, at least looking at it on the surface, would have me favor Graham, but I have no idea.  As down at Bluefield has been, look at the Ridgeview series the last 2 years.  Ridgeview had 2 very good football teams the past 2 years, and Bluefield still went 2-0.  

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union always plays them close. I think Union plays better at Mitchell against Graham. I’m not handing the GMen any win automatically. They’ll have to prove themselves every game. There were some big shoes to fill that graduated. I’m excited to see the Bluefield game. It’s always a fun atmosphere! 

I’m at Elizabethan now but I’m worried about Union linemen for the season but hopefully will know more in a couple hours 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I'm sold on Bluefield.  Bluefield started 0-4 last year, then went on a bunch of wins and gave Indepedence a war, an absolute battle on Indy's home field in the playoffs.  Indy won the state title and nobody played them remotely close in the playoffs (other than Bluefield).  Indy took Fairmont Senior completely apart.  Bluefield, by the end of the game 10, was the 2nd best AA team in the state of West Virginia last year, and they were unfortunate enough to have to play Independence early in the playoffs.

Guys, just my opinion, and many Graham fans in my opinion would probably agree.  Don't sleep on Bluefield.  This isn't the only time in history where Graham has been favored by most to win a 3rd game only to be shocked.  I don't know enough about either team to make the call who wins, but 'I am going to make this prediction.  Graham ain't winning big over Bluefield this year.  Bluefield returns to much from what ended the season as a very, very good team.  The loss of Hairston, at least looking at it on the surface, would have me favor Graham, but I have no idea.  As down at Bluefield has been, look at the Ridgeview series the last 2 years.  Ridgeview had 2 very good football teams the past 2 years, and Bluefield still went 2-0.  

I’m one of those, admittedly, that gives Bluefield the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn’t be surprised if close, but also wouldn’t be surprised if 2 Td margin. I don’t know if a 10-14 point margin where the G-men dominate the line of scrimmage is “big”, but that is my prediction. Bluefield seemingly always has athleticism that creates the big play. That’s what usually separates them from most. During the losses, I see them pushed around by more physical teams, like Independence and Graham last year, that have just enough speed to break 1-2 big plays themselves. Game 1 last year was indeed close; but watching it, I felt like Graham kept it close themselves and I had no doubts about the better team had they played a series. If they played 5, I’m taking Graham in 4….but it only takes 1.

31 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I’m one of those, admittedly, that gives Bluefield the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn’t be surprised if close, but also wouldn’t be surprised if 2 Td margin. I don’t know if a 10-14 point margin where the G-men dominate the line of scrimmage is “big”, but that is my prediction. Bluefield seemingly always has athleticism that creates the big play. That’s what usually separates them from most. During the losses, I see them pushed around by more physical teams, like Independence and Graham last year, that have just enough speed to break 1-2 big plays themselves. Game 1 last year was indeed close; but watching it, I felt like Graham kept it close themselves and I had no doubts about the better team had they played a series. If they played 5, I’m taking Graham in 4….but it only takes 1.

I agree.  I felt that Graham had the better team last year and controlled the game for the most part,  but Bluefield made some improbable plays that kept them in it.  Bluefield always seems to have a trick or 2 up their sleeve and you can never count them out.  The years that Graham has won, they have had superior line-play and I think this year, Graham has superior line play and has some depth on the line.  As far as athleticism, I believe the teams will match up with each other very well.  Simon is not afraid to do some trick-er-ation and it seems more often then not, that Graham has been burned by it over the years.  I do believe Palmer is 3-4 against Simon as a head coach (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and this is his chance to even things out.  Huge Question Mark for both teams will be the QB position.  I think Graham's line is good enough and their run game will be good enough to not have to throw the ball much.  Not sure if Bluefield will be able to run successfully on what looks to be a stellar D-Line and linebacking corp for Graham.  If Bluefield can throw the ball, they may have some success (however, Graham does have Clements, Hass  and Floyd lurking back there in the secondary).  Gonna take a heck of a team to beat Graham out of the gate, usually the defense is a head of the offense early on and Graham has some studs returning on defense.  

1 hour ago, cityofRaven said:

Fun Beaver/Graham fact - 

Bluefield has never won a state title the same year they lost to Graham.

Graham has won a state title the same year they have lost to Bluefield.

Per our great friends at Four Seasons Football dot com.

I think that has happened twice 1995 and 2018.

On 8/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  I felt that Graham had the better team last year and controlled the game for the most part,  but Bluefield made some improbable plays that kept them in it.  Bluefield always seems to have a trick or 2 up their sleeve and you can never count them out.  The years that Graham has won, they have had superior line-play and I think this year, Graham has superior line play and has some depth on the line.  As far as athleticism, I believe the teams will match up with each other very well.  Simon is not afraid to do some trick-er-ation and it seems more often then not, that Graham has been burned by it over the years.  I do believe Palmer is 3-4 against Simon as a head coach (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) and this is his chance to even things out.  Huge Question Mark for both teams will be the QB position.  I think Graham's line is good enough and their run game will be good enough to not have to throw the ball much.  Not sure if Bluefield will be able to run successfully on what looks to be a stellar D-Line and linebacking corp for Graham.  If Bluefield can throw the ball, they may have some success (however, Graham does have Clements, Hass  and Floyd lurking back there in the secondary).  Gonna take a heck of a team to beat Graham out of the gate, usually the defense is a head of the offense early on and Graham has some studs returning on defense.  

All those kids back there. But Blake Graham at corner will end up the best player in the secondary. Phenomenal athlete. Wait and see.....

3 minutes ago, CPF said:

All those kids back there. But Blake Graham at corner will end up the best player in the secondary. Phenomenal athlete. Wait and see.....

I don't doubt that at all.  I was hoping that Blake would come back out for football this season.  

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I don't doubt that at all.  I was hoping that Blake would come back out for football this season.  

He's back. And when I watched him he was great both sides of the ball.

13 hours ago, CPF said:

He's back. And when I watched him he was great both sides of the ball.

Wow!   Another addition to an already athletic bunch.  Glad to see this.