2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

Watched GC and Virginia High.  VH has had a huge dropoff compared to Virginia High early in the season last year.  Nowhere close to what they was last year.  VH may go 10-0 this year for all I know, but I'm just giving one guy's take from watching.  

GC looks better than last year, not by a whole lot, but better.  I thought GC looked equally as athletic as VH across the board. 

Only my opinions

Got to watch the Narz/Grayson scrimmage today. Grayson is a lot smaller than I remembered but they’re quick and strong. Pretty much done whatever they wanted against Narrows. As for Narrows, you can tell the impact of Crigger not playing. They’re a one man show now with Pruett having to do it all. I still think Narrows can win the Pioneer District and finish 7-3/6-4 with losses to Giles, James Monroe, Honaker and possibly Holston. 

Got to watch the Narz/Grayson scrimmage today. Grayson is a lot smaller than I remembered but they’re quick and strong. Pretty much done whatever they wanted against Narrows. As for Narrows, you can tell the impact of Crigger not playing. They’re a one man show now with Pruett having to do it all. I still think Narrows can win the Pioneer District and finish 7-3/6-4 with losses to Giles, James Monroe, Honaker and possibly Holston. I think Grayson finishes 9-1/8-2 with losses to Bluefield and potentially George Wythe. 

Got to watch the Narz/Grayson scrimmage today. Grayson is a lot smaller than I remembered but they’re quick and strong. Pretty much done whatever they wanted against Narrows. As for Narrows, you can tell the impact of Crigger not playing. They’re a one man show now with Pruett having to do it all. I still think Narrows can win the Pioneer District and finish 7-3/6-4 with losses to Giles, James Monroe, Honaker and possibly Holston. I think Grayson finishes 9-1/8-2 with losses to Bluefield and potentially George Wythe. 

23 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Watched GC and Virginia High.  VH has had a huge dropoff compared to Virginia High early in the season last year.  Nowhere close to what they was last year.  VH may go 10-0 this year for all I know, but I'm just giving one guy's take from watching.  

GC looks better than last year, not by a whole lot, but better.  I thought GC looked equally as athletic as VH across the board. 

Only my opinions

Very close to my thoughts, but I don't think GC is as strong on the line, but definitely have some athletes.

Assuming the starting QB is back next week they may have a good passing attack with him being a dual threat to run.

Will there be as big of a divide between Class 1 and Class 2 as there has been in recent years? I haven’t looked up the ratings/power points formula in recent years since the combined districts, but if there is a divide, is a Class 2 school better off scheduling a Class 1 power? I’m only wondering for seeding purposes, not being battle tested for the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

depends if you can beat them or not

Assuming yes, if the divide is large. I was thinking about Richlands vs Grundy, but also results such as Central over Grundy, and Virginia High over every class 1 school on their schedule last year, but struggled with Class 2 schools.

I'm thinking GC and Union is going to be another special one in the history of GC vs Union/PV/Appy.  No way to tell this early, but I'm guessing GC will have big trouble running on Union off tackle.  GC will try to hit big ones in the air.  UnionFan, I agree on the QB for GC.  I recall he could run it also, and if GC has success against Union on the ground, it likely comes from the QB scrambling or leaving the pocket.  Still way too early to tell, but that's a game I'm not gonna miss if it's on NFHS.

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Very close to my thoughts, but I don't think GC is as strong on the line, but definitely have some athletes.

Assuming the starting QB is back next week they may have a good passing attack with him being a dual threat to run.

Yes, one bright spot for VH and not so bright spot for GC was VH's ability to stop the run, or GC's inability to run off tackle.  The QB (who is also very, very good for the non starter) had some scramble type runs, but just lining up and running off tackle, GC struggled there.  There's no question they can throw it, especially when the starter is back.  VH's only bright spot, or the unit that is the same or slightly better than last year that I saw was the DL for the young Bearcat team.  

6 hours ago, Wvumav said:

Bluefield's defense looked good because Abingdon's offense is, well, offensive.  Putrid is another good word to describe it...clown show....