2023 scrims/jams/bg's

VHSLhelper

40 minutes ago, GMan said:

Bluefield's defense looked good because Abingdon's offense is, well, offensive.  Putrid is another good word to describe it...clown show....

I was wondering if the defense really looked good or if Abingdon just wasn’t that good when I saw that post. Wonder what Bluefield was holding back offensively that they’ve been working on all summer? I’d personally want to try some of it out prior to the biggest game of the regular season but I’m not a coach nor do I pretend to be, lol. I guess we’ll see next week how good the defense is and what they’ve been working on all summer on offense. 

51 minutes ago, GMan said:

Bluefield's defense looked good because Abingdon's offense is, well, offensive.  Putrid is another good word to describe it...clown show....

Can we get some details on the Falcon O?

32 minutes ago, appyvol said:

Pretty sure 2A schools get 2a points even if their opponent is 1A.

I think you are right. It use to be different but now I think it doesnt hurt you to play down but it helps you a lot to play up. 

Basically, there is little to no incentive to schedule even or up, as there used to be, especially with the talent gulf widening. (Except for being battle hardened if able to make the playoffs in the example below.)

I was thinking back to the days when Graham would refuse to play down, and when a 5-5 Appalachia would win a state title often after ousting a 9-1 or 8-2 Cumberland team from the playoffs.

46 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Basically, there is little to no incentive to schedule even or up, as there used to be, especially with the talent gulf widening. (Except for being battle hardened if able to make the playoffs in the example below.)

I was thinking back to the days when Graham would refuse to play down, and when a 5-5 Appalachia would win a state title often after ousting a 9-1 or 8-2 Cumberland team from the playoffs.

The incentive to play up is, as you said, to be ready for the playoffs. The incentive to play down is not losing out on power points. That's why they changed it several years back. Otherwise, unless you're trying to rebuild a program, there's no reason whatsoever to play down.

43 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I like the idea of playing more teams in you class but sometimes there are travel issues that you cant control. There is a major bus driver shortage at the moment. So if you schedule a game in you class but you have to travel 2 plus hours away on a bus but you cant get a bus until they are done with their afternoon rout then that game isnt kicking off til 8 o clock. Which is not good for the kids, fan, or the coaches families getting home after midnight. I no some spring sports have had to resort to the coaching staff driving 10 passenger vans to away games. That option is just not available for football

4 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I was wondering if the defense really looked good or if Abingdon just wasn’t that good when I saw that post. Wonder what Bluefield was holding back offensively that they’ve been working on all summer? I’d personally want to try some of it out prior to the biggest game of the regular season but I’m not a coach nor do I pretend to be, lol. I guess we’ll see next week how good the defense is and what they’ve been working on all summer on offense. 

Bluefield's offensive upgrades or thoughts. With an athletic and mobile QB, but not an elite, polished, or experienced passer, it's probably a given their offense will focus on getting the QB out in space with many short pass/safe pass and run options. Graham's secondary, especially the corners might lead the team in tackles for the Graham/Bluefield game as a defensive unit.

The Beavers will throw the rare deep ball to "safe spaces," meaning, to the sidelines. I wouldn't suspect many downfield/ in the middle of the field passes beyond 7 yds for Bluefield. The above kind of holds true for any non experienced or unpolished passing qb who is athletic.

Just my guess on where Bluefield focused it's offense this summer and early season in prep for Graham. It may work or it may  not. Time will tell. Graham's corners are athletic. Should be a good one up there.

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

Can we get some details on the Falcon O?

Last year I was puzzled as to why their offense was so limited.  In the RV game they simply ran the QB 70% of the time.  Now, they had a powerful offensive line so they could get by with that.  However, I was amazed they had little diversity in the run game and basically no pass offense.  Honestly, it is inexcusable for a solid 3A program to not have a better offensive playbook. 

I think the truth is that the Falcons coach just isn't very good at using or developing talent.  He was brought in less for his credentials and more for the fact that he just wasn't Darren Reed.  He inherited a very solid Junior and Senior class for his first 2 years which made his job very easy early on.  But, just like with any new coach, you cannot judge them on their first years.  If they are still successful once they have cycled through with their own players then they can claim to be a success.  The numbers are there and Abingdon's strength program is very good, the coach just needs to learn how to cultivate the players.

18 hours ago, Elder statesman said:

I think the truth is that the Falcons coach just isn't very good at using or developing talent.  He was brought in less for his credentials and more for the fact that he just wasn't Darren Reed.  He inherited a very solid Junior and Senior class for his first 2 years which made his job very easy early on.  But, just like with any new coach, you cannot judge them on their first years.  If they are still successful once they have cycled through with their own players then they can claim to be a success.  The numbers are there and Abingdon's strength program is very good, the coach just needs to learn how to cultivate the players.

You hit the nail on the head, that '21 and '22 class was brought up by a great group of dads that had them playing a high level offense from the time they were in 3rd grade. They used to go to the Big Blue Bash in Richlands every November and put a whooping on Graham, Richlands and even the northeast TN teams. Literally anyone could have coached that team by the time they were juniors and seniors. They were a well oiled machine full of skill players that just needed a little more size and they would have won it all. The success of those teams might lead folks to believe Abingdon has built something in football, but they haven't. They are still a track and baseball and golf school.  Take Honaker off the team and they would struggle to win a game. He was the entire offense last season.