Turf approved for all 3 Tazewell County Schools.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Turf fields were approved at the school board meeting last night.  Turf at RHS will be replaced.  Turf and a regulation track for THS and a Turf field for GHS beside the High School.

Does that mean that Taz Co quits funding City of Bluefield?

Turf fields were approved at the school board meeting last night.  Turf at RHS will be replaced.  Turf and a regulation track for THS and a Turf field for GHS beside the High School.

Head scratcher for me? If Graham plays home games at Mitchell (which they do) and they are talking about building their own stadium, then why on earth would they Turf the field at the HS?  Is the plan to build or upgrade the stadium at the HS, if they build their own facility to play home games?

Play one game a year at Mitchell. After that there would be plenty of seating and parking for the rest of their home games with the exception of the Union game. For that game the excess Union fans could bring their own chairs to put around the field. The 25 Graham fans should still have plenty of seating available on the home side. 

18 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Play one game a year at Mitchell. After that there would be plenty of seating and parking for the rest of their home games with the exception of the Union game. For that game the excess Union fans could bring their own chairs to put around the field. The 25 Graham fans should still have plenty of seating available on the home side. 

I agree with this.  Play the Bluefield game at Mitchell each year and the rest at Grahams new stadium ( if that is ever built).    Work out some sort of deal with Bluefield High School regarding the gate each year.  Graham could sit on the visitors side for that game, like they used to do for so many years.

51 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Head scratcher for me? If Graham plays home games at Mitchell (which they do) and they are talking about building their own stadium, then why on earth would they Turf the field at the HS?  Is the plan to build or upgrade the stadium at the HS, if they build their own facility to play home games?

There is no stadium currently at Graham High School, just a practice field.  They would have to build a new stadium.  In the past, there was a plan to build a new stadium behind Graham Middle School, with some sort of an agreement to finance it through the town of Bluefield. VA. Maybe they have a similar plan at GHS to get a stadium built.

11 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

There is no stadium currently at Graham High School, just a practice field.  They would have to build a new stadium.  In the past, there was a plan to build a new stadium behind Graham Middle School, with some sort of an agreement to finance it through the town of Bluefield. VA. Maybe they have a similar plan at GHS to get a stadium built.

Where do the Gmen practice? Is it just a field at their High School with no bleachers?

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Where do the Gmen practice? Is it just a field at their High School with no bleachers?

Yes, Graham practices on the field beside the high school. No bleachers there.

I agree with this.  Play the Bluefield game at Mitchell each year and the rest at Grahams new stadium ( if that is ever built).    Work out some sort of deal with Bluefield High School regarding the gate each year.  Graham could sit on the visitors side for that game, like they used to do for so many years.

Just let Bluefield be the home team every year. The stadium rent is covered in their lease.

Is their practice field turf or grass 

24 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Just let Bluefield be the home team every year. The stadium rent is covered in their lease.

Graham brings too many people to that one game.  Split the gate or play at the new stadium every other year.  Bring your folding chairs, can't pass up that kind of revenue.

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

So, it would seem that this would point to no consolidation plans for the near/mid term future.

I don't think that would happen anytime soon.  If there is any consolidation, it mayl be with the elementary and primary schools.  I had heard at one point that there could possibly be 1 elementary school (k-7) in Bluefield, 1 in Tazewell and 1 in Richlands housed in the current High Schools.  1 High School in each town (8-12) housed in each current middle school.  Personally, I think that would be more likely then going to 2 High Schools.  Bus routes wouldn't be too bad for most kids.

Would It be possible for Graham to get stands built on each side of the practice field at the high school then turn the other field that’s beside the high school into a park lot? I mean might not be ideal but just a thought. 

11 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

Would It be possible for Graham to get stands built on each side of the practice field at the high school then turn the other field that’s beside the high school into a park lot? I mean might not be ideal but just a thought. 

I heard they were considering turning the grassy areas out front into parking if they built a stadium. The turf field would be centered between the two current fields so that a stadium could be built plus a track. Now, all that could be nixed  and they’re just turfing the practice field or may have never been considered & just hearsay. 

10 minutes ago, Graham32 said:

I would imagine that they would have to tear down the fence between the 2 fields to make room for an eventual grand-stand on the school side of the field and have enough room for visitors stands. If that happens, it is a good indication that they are at least considering a stadium there in the future.  To put in new turf exactly where the practice field is now, may not leave sufficient room for a grandstand / press box, appropriate lighting, etc... An aluminum grand-stand similar to what they have at Christiansburg would be awesome.  I would also think that they would keep what is left of the other field (most of it should be left) for practice areas for the band / soccer / little league, etc...  I think the best option for parking would be in the two large grassy areas in front of the school, as Gridiron mentioned,  if and when a stadium were to ever be built.

12 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham brings too many people to that one game.  Split the gate or play at the new stadium every other year.  Bring your folding chairs, can't pass up that kind of revenue.

They already split the gate. Have for years. Just keep that provision in the contract.