Longest Playoff Streaks in Class 1 and Class 2

Hokie Bound

1 hour ago, Hokie Bound said:

This might take some research but does anyone know which schools have the longest consecutive playoff appearances in Class 1 and Class 2 in SW Virginia. Being bumped down or up a class would still count. Thanks! 

If Union and P. Valley are counted as the same, I believe they go back to 1991ish, don't quote me though. 

I through 2021 out. Just take that off the table. P. Valley might have missed the postseason after 1991 through 2010 once, but I can't recall it happening.  If PV/Union aren't counted as the same, then there's some research involved. Off the top of my head, G. Wythe may be the leader going back to 2005ish if PV/Union is considered different. Until a year ago, Richlands would go way back, long before 2005, maybe I yo th 1990s, but they missed out last year. Graham had a miss around 2007ish, and take away that one, and I think you have to go back to the 1980s as their last playoff miss.

3 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If Union and P. Valley are counted as the same, I believe they go back to 1991ish, don't quote me though. 

I through 2021 out. Just take that off the table. P. Valley might have missed the postseason after 1991 through 2010 once, but I can't recall it happening.  If PV/Union aren't counted as the same, then there's some research involved. Off the top of my head, G. Wythe may be the leader going back to 2005ish if PV/Union is considered different. Until a year ago, Richlands would go way back, long before 2005, maybe I yo th 1990s, but they missed out last year. Graham had a miss around 2007ish, and take away that one, and I think you have to go back to the 1980s as their last playoff miss.

Class 1 I’d say Galax.

9 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

Class 1 I’d say Galax.

A quick look at Coalfield Sports shows Galax last miss was 2009. Galax had some rough years from. 2003-4 through 2009. G. Wythe last miss was 2006, but it's weird. It looks like they were 6-4 in 2006, but somehow didn't make the playoffs. Interestingly, G. Wythe was 9-1 in 2004, but didn't make the playoffs? I wonder what happened there.

Based on what I glanced at, Graham had a couple of misses in the late 2000s, but has the longest 2A streak tied with Union in our coverage area. Graham missed in 2010, and hasn't missed since. Union started football in 2011 which is when Grahams streak started.  If Union and PV are considered the same, then I think Union/PV goes back to 1991 which is by far the longest. 

In 1A, it's G. Wythe 2006 for the coverage area. I glanced at fourseasons. Someone would need to take a serious look to be sure.

9 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

A quick look at Coalfield Sports shows Galax last miss was 2009. Galax had some rough years from. 2003-4 through 2009. G. Wythe last miss was 2006, but it's weird. It looks like they were 6-4 in 2006, but somehow didn't make the playoffs. Interestingly, G. Wythe was 9-1 in 2004, but didn't make the playoffs? I wonder what happened there.

Glenvar was 9-1 back in 05 I believe and didn’t make it either. Back then if you wasn’t the district champion then you wasn’t going to the post season. 

52 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Glenvar was 9-1 back in 05 I believe and didn’t make it either. Back then if you wasn’t the district champion then you wasn’t going to the post season. 

2004, G. Wythe 9-1, was only scored on in 3 games. Had 7 shutouts. Lost a nailbiter to Lebanon, no playoffs for GW. Giles beat Lebanon in the playoffs by a TD that year, only to get cold cocked by Powell Valley a week later. 

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

If you're counting PV with Union you have to count Appy too.  Both had some bad years before consolidation but not sure if there was a season both missed playoffs

In 2004, four teams from Region C Division 2 made the playoffs. The winners of three districts received an automatic bid with the fourth bid going to the top "at-large" team:  Giles [8-2] (Three Rivers Champ); Lebanon [9-1] (Hogo Champ); Grayson Co [5-5] (Mountain Empire Champ); Floyd Co [9-1] (Three Rivers Runner-Up)

George Wythe [9-1] (Hogo Runner-Up) was outpointed by Floyd Co for the final spot.

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

In 2004, four teams from Region C Division 2 made the playoffs. The winners of three districts received an automatic bid with the fourth bid going to the top "at-large" team:  Giles [8-2] (Three Rivers Champ); Lebanon [9-1] (Hogo Champ); Grayson Co [5-5] (Mountain Empire Champ); Floyd Co [9-1] (Three Rivers Runner-Up)

George Wythe [9-1] (Hogo Runner-Up) was outpointed by Floyd Co for the final spot.

Back in those days, the MED should have skipped the playoffs and allowed more deserving teams in. 

7 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

13 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Based on what I glanced at, Graham had a couple of misses in the late 2000s, but has the longest 2A streak tied with Union in our coverage area. Graham missed in 2010, and hasn't missed since. Union started football in 2011 which is when Grahams streak started.  If Union and PV are considered the same, then I think Union/PV goes back to 1991 which is by far the longest. 

In 1A, it's G. Wythe 2006 for the coverage area. I glanced at fourseasons. Someone would need to take a serious look to be sure.

Gotta consider Appalachia too. Appalachia missed from 08-10. 

Powell Valley had a playoff streak from 1992-2010. 

From 08-10, though, PV had gone so far downhill that their playoff appearances were just merely appearances. 5-5 in each of those seasons and they lost in the first round each season.

8 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

don't everybody make the playoff's now!!

Too many teams make it.  I still think 6 is the sweet spot.  Top 2 get a bye in week one.  8 teams is too much.  But, something had to be done regarding improving the system.  You can see above, G. Wythe in 2004 is the perfect example. A 9-1 regular season record and 7 shutouts, only scored on in 3 games.  Examples like this are when it's pretty clear something had to be done, but I think they went too far.  6 teams in the playoffs would have been ideal. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Too many teams make it.  I still think 6 is the sweet spot.  Top 2 get a bye in week one.  8 teams is too much.  But, something had to be done regarding improving the system.  You can see above, G. Wythe in 2004 is the perfect example. A 9-1 regular season record and 7 shutouts, only scored on in 3 games.  Examples like this are when it's pretty clear something had to be done, but I think they went too far.  6 teams in the playoffs would have been ideal. 

There was a premium on winning district back then though....now everyone gets one so nobody gets their feeling hurt

On 9/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

2004, G. Wythe 9-1, was only scored on in 3 games. Had 7 shutouts. Lost a nailbiter to Lebanon, no playoffs for GW. Giles beat Lebanon in the playoffs by a TD that year, only to get cold cocked by Powell Valley a week later. 

I remember those days when very good football got left out of the playoffs. The VHSL has made it a lot easier to find your way into the playoffs. Most first round games are major mismatches now.

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Also remember years were Honaker or Haysi would get screwed too after going 9-1 and not making it because someone like Thomas Walker would go 10-0 playing cupcakes and get beat at home by 50 in first round 

On 9/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

Exactly this.

That team was one of the best we ever had over here, to be honest.....Just didn't take care of business in the district unfortunately, and you pretty much had to in 1C, Div 2 then. 

On 9/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Who lost the state final to Manassas Park in a nail biter. 

Giles did not appreciate a late PV score and exacted some revenge what, a year or two later?