Honaker vs Rye Cove

Gridiron60

I've seen both.  Both are good.  Honaker will move the ball in the air and with the QB's feet.  For Honaker, 2 keys.  Can't have 1st and 20 or 3rd and 17 due to a holding call, so limit offensive penalties that kills drives, and number 2......have to get some stops on the ground with Rye Cove's running game.  Don't have to be perfect, just make them punt 4-5 times out of 9 or so possessions.  If Honaker does that, they win big, and I think Honaker wins by 3-4 touchdowns.  What's a problem for Honaker?  If the Cove starts getting 6 yard chunks on the ground all game and kills clock, and then Honaker turnsover on 4 possessions or had another 3 of them with a holding call creating long yardage, the game gets interesting.  I think Honaker wins big, 21-28 points.  Only my take.  Honaker is very good.  Rye Cove and PH are also good, but I think Honaker is on another level this year.

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I've seen both.  Both are good.  Honaker will move the ball in the air and with the QB's feet.  For Honaker, 2 keys.  Can't have 1st and 20 or 3rd and 17 due to a holding call, so limit offensive penalties that kills drives, and number 2......have to get some stops on the ground with Rye Cove's running game.  Don't have to be perfect, just make them punt 4-5 times out of 9 or so possessions.  If Honaker does that, they win big, and I think Honaker wins by 3-4 touchdowns.  What's a problem for Honaker?  If the Cove starts getting 6 yard chunks on the ground all game and kills clock, and then Honaker turnsover on 4 possessions or had another 3 of them with a holding call creating long yardage, the game gets interesting.  I think Honaker wins big, 21-28 points.  Only my take.  Honaker is very good.  Rye Cove and PH are also good, but I think Honaker is on another level this year.

I heard rye cove has a massive freshman?

He must have some pretty good connections too. I noticed Trent Seaborn interacting on one of his tweets. Trent is the #1 QB in the country in the class of 2027 and from what I understand started for the Alabama 7A state champs as an 8th grader. 

9 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I think this is a preview to the 1A Region D Championship game, and the loser of this one will bounce back and beat the other for the region championship.

Unfortunately as much as I would love to see rye cove win I don’t think honaker will struggle v much against them. Honaker is probably the equivalent to Graham in 1d perspective and rye cove is about like tazewell 

Rye cove is obviously much improved from just a couple years ago. Collier obviously has that program humming.

That being said, Honaker is the class of 1D at this point, and should have no problem taking care of business. 

Honaker 56

Rye Cove 14

6 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Unless PH was holding players back in the Burton jamboree Rye Cove was far better than any team there 

Most likely they were to a point. Moat teams don't play their starters the full time in jamboree and scrimmages. I also doubt they showed their entire playbook. I wish people would stop taking benefit games, scrimmages, and Jamborees so seriously. They have little baring on the regular season. 

Rye Coves best shot is to take the air out of the ball and have a couple 10+ play drives and score on those drives. I think Honaker is the top of 1D from an athletic stand point. They got an underrated QB and good skill players, one of the best running back in 1D if not the best, and an O line that is athletic but not small. However when it starts to get cold in November are they going to have the same success throwing the ball around? I think they beat Rye Cove and PH in the regular season but when they meet in the playoffs and its 40 degrees outside that is when the ground and pound teams take over. 

9 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Unless PH was holding players back in the Burton jamboree Rye Cove was far better than any team there 

PHs best lineman was out in the scrimmage.  RC had a 2 way starting lineman and MLB/RB out also.  Both teams kept it pretty vanilla. 

3 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Rye Coves best shot is to take the air out of the ball and have a couple 10+ play drives and score on those drives. I think Honaker is the top of 1D from an athletic stand point. They got an underrated QB and good skill players, one of the best running back in 1D if not the best, and an O line that is athletic but not small. However when it starts to get cold in November are they going to have the same success throwing the ball around? I think they beat Rye Cove and PH in the regular season but when they meet in the playoffs and its 40 degrees outside that is when the ground and pound teams take over. 

I don’t know if they will due to preference, but I’m confident if Honaker decides to run the ball, they can match up favorably with anyone. I’d be comfortable in both the RB and QB running out of shotgun or lining up the RB in I formation or Wildcat and daring teams to stop them.

39 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I don’t know if they will due to preference, but I’m confident if Honaker decides to run the ball, they can match up favorably with anyone. I’d be comfortable in both the RB and QB running out of shotgun or lining up the RB in I formation or Wildcat and daring teams to stop them.

I know they are more than capable of running the and winning a game. The RB is no joke and the QB has some speed the question is will they. They have bout into the Air Raid and there is nothing wrong with that. I can tell you right now Tiller is not going to get in the I and he would be stupid to do so because that would take valuable practice time away from doing what they do. 

My question is can a team that throws the ball around a lot win a state championship at this level? Ive been around this area for 9 years and I havnt seen it happen. Even the 2018 Graham squad was a run first offensive even though they had the a dude behind center that could throw it. Look at Richlands under Mance. They were unbeatable in 7 on 7 but had one championship to show for it. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it cant maybe they will be the first team to pull it off. Until that happens I would put my money on the run first team. 

7 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Most likely they were to a point. Moat teams don't play their starters the full time in jamboree and scrimmages. I also doubt they showed their entire playbook. I wish people would stop taking benefit games, scrimmages, and Jamborees so seriously. They have little baring on the regular season. 

Wasn't taking it serious but what else can you go buy early in the season

1 hour ago, Jags52 said:

I know they are more than capable of running the and winning a game. The RB is no joke and the QB has some speed the question is will they. They have bout into the Air Raid and there is nothing wrong with that. I can tell you right now Tiller is not going to get in the I and he would be stupid to do so because that would take valuable practice time away from doing what they do. 

My question is can a team that throws the ball around a lot win a state championship at this level? Ive been around this area for 9 years and I havnt seen it happen. Even the 2018 Graham squad was a run first offensive even though they had the a dude behind center that could throw it. Look at Richlands under Mance. They were unbeatable in 7 on 7 but had one championship to show for it. Just because it hasnt happened doesnt mean it cant maybe they will be the first team to pull it off. Until that happens I would put my money on the run first team. 

I agree with you. I think the ability to and willingness to run it when needed will be the ultimate difference between 1D, and a state title appearance and/or victory. I wonder if they may be practicing some already, at least the Wildcat seeing direct snaps to the RB (no clue). It’s a totally different set of circumstances, but Richlands 2010 had and displayed the ability to run from the I when needed; however was affected in the state title game by a number of factors. I cite the Brookeville game, and beating an eventual state champion Gate City in game 1 after switching to the I in the second half.

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

I think a team that throws it can win it. I may be in minority opinion.  I think the sample size is too small to tell. Meaning......how many offenses in VA at the Class 1 or 2 levels have a pass first offense? It's just so uncommon and so rare that it's hard to say. Central, Poqouson, Clarke County, Appo, Riverheads, Draft, Union (heavy run offenses). Other than Appo above, those offenses are also borderline (don't throw it over 4 times a game-Uniin has changed this year though). Graham mixes it up more as well as Appo (kind of) and Radford. The King William team that won it through it way more that year than usual.

My take, looking at Graham, K.William, Appo with those titles and what makes them different? Run first, but not limited to the run. They could/can put it in the air and do it pretty well when they want. The others haven't been able to do it well enough to win a title. Got to go back to Giles in 2A to find a team that didn't throw it much.

28 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I think a team that throws it can win it. I may be in minority opinion.  I think the sample size is too small to tell. Meaning......how many offenses in VA at the Class 1 or 2 levels have a pass first offense? It's just so uncommon and so rare that it's hard to say. Central, Poqouson, Clarke County, Appo, Riverheads, Draft, Union (heavy run offenses). Other than Appo above, those offenses are also borderline (don't throw it over 4 times a game-Uniin has changed this year though). Graham mixes it up more as well as Appo (kind of) and Radford. The King William team that won it through it way more that year than usual.

My take, looking at Graham, K.William, Appo with those titles and what makes them different? Run first, but not limited to the run. They could/can put it in the air and do it pretty well when they want. The others haven't been able to do it well enough to win a title. Got to go back to Giles in 2A to find a team that didn't throw it much.

I think the ability to diversify and do both is key. I personally prefer run-first, but agree pass first can as well. My skepticism, probably shared by Jags52, but don’t want to speak for him, is can pass-only or “pass dependent” win it all? Either way, I’m rooting for the Tigers or any SWVA team to bring it home.

Two well-coached fundamentally sound football teams meet up in this one. Rye Cove will probably like to eat the clock and keep Honaker's explosive offense on the sideline. I think Honaker has too many athletes and pulls away but wouldn't be surprised if Rye Cove makes a game of it.