3. Honaker Tigers - Hogoheegee District - Class 1

4. Gate City Blue Devils - Mountain 7 District - Class 2

5. Union Bears - Mountain 7 District - Class 2

1.  Graham

2. Union

3. Radford

4. Pulaski County

5. Honaker 

Honestly comparing Union and Graham’s overall play the first three weeks, I’d put Union slightly above Graham. Next week will tell the tale. I’m not downing GMen. They obviously have all the pieces if they can get the puzzle put together but right now, Union has a really good chance walking out of Mitchell with a win. 

Calpreps Predicts Graham 21, Union 12.  This projection was done Before this weekends game.  Probably will not have an updated projection until Tuesday night due to the weather delays across Virginia and West Virginia with some games still not decided.  For example, Bluefield doesn't finish with Greenbrier East until Monday night.

Said this in week one though.  By week four in Bluefield, I think we may have the best Class 2 teams in Virginia playing.  Not the two best in Region D or the West, but the two best in the state.  Union with the athletic and mobile QB and some reasonable targets at WR along with that great defense has the ability to win a Virginia Class 2 State Title this year.  So does Graham by the way.  The best 4 teams in the state of Virginia in Class 2 are ALL in the west in my opinion.  I truly believe that.  I think Graham, Union, Appo, and Radford are ALL better than those in the East.  Disclaimer- that doesn't mean Radford beats Glenvar in the playoffs though.  Radford will find a way to hurt themselves.  That's a given.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:02 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Calpreps Predicts Graham 21, Union 12.  This projection was done Before this weekends game.  Probably will not have an updated projection until Tuesday night due to the weather delays across Virginia and West Virginia with some games still not decided.  For example, Bluefield doesn't finish with Greenbrier East until Monday night.

Said this in week one though.  By week four in Bluefield, I think we may have the best Class 2 teams in Virginia playing.  Not the two best in Region D or the West, but the two best in the state.  Union with the athletic and mobile QB and some reasonable targets at WR along with that great defense has the ability to win a Virginia Class 2 State Title this year.  So does Graham by the way.  The best 4 teams in the state of Virginia in Class 2 are ALL in the west in my opinion.  I truly believe that.  I think Graham, Union, Appo, and Radford are ALL better than those in the East.  Disclaimer- that doesn't mean Radford beats Glenvar in the playoffs though.  Radford will find a way to hurt themselves.  That's a given.

Hey Bandana, remember when they jumped on me for saying that Riverheads was the third or fourth best team in 2D last year?  Lol.  I agree with you although I think RV losing Hackney puts them at #3 behind Graham and Union and the fact that game is at BSG.  That magical "home field advantage" wink-wink is hard to overcome in a tight game.  

The 2D region is well represented by those three teams (I don't include Radford in SWVA).  Need a solid #4 and #5 to step up this year.  It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Graham. 

58 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Hey Bandana, remember when they jumped on me for saying that Riverheads was the third or fourth best team in 2D last year?  Lol.  I agree with you although I think RV losing Hackney puts them at #3 behind Graham and Union and the fact that game is at BSG.  That magical "home field advantage" wink-wink is hard to overcome in a tight game.  

The 2D region is well represented by those three teams (I don't include Radford in SWVA).  Need a solid #4 and #5 to step up this year.  It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Graham. 

Good points man. I will say this without being too offensive. The SWD should have a team that can at least make a game of it with Graham or have a chance, and be just as good as Ridgeview and Union, and from a talent perspective for the 2023 season, that team is Tazewell imo. There's obviously more to being a good team than talent alone. I watched Tazewell and Riverheads. I was shocked.....truthfully shocked (not hyperbole) at the talent Tazewell had across the board including the line of scrimmage. 

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good points man. I will say this without being too offensive. The SWD should have a team that can at least make a game of it with Graham or have a chance, and be just as good as Ridgeview and Union, and from a talent perspective for the 2023 season, that team is Tazewell imo. There's obviously more to being a good team than talent alone. I watched Tazewell and Riverheads. I was shocked.....truthfully shocked (not hyperbole) at the talent Tazewell had across the board including the line of scrimmage. 

They've always had talent.  When I played them they were always the biggest team we'd play all year....just reloaded 6'3", 290 OL year after year along with big LBs and DEs.  From seeing them in the playoffs last year and watching some online...they don't take pride in their defense.  If the offense breaks a play, they get down...bad body language and almost not one play where all 11 pursued to the ball.  To be fair, a lot of defenses are like that now, though.  Poor pursuit to the ball, poor tackling and pursuit angles.

If they can get a spark in them on the defensive side of the ball, they would be a problem. I think they are like RV...just a run of good athletes year-in, year-out....with "okay" coaching but RV has a better DC and their OL is a bit better.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Graham. 

2004-2016: It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Richlands.

2017-Present: It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Graham.

9 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

2004-2016: It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Richlands.

2017-Present: It is getting ridiculous that the SWD can't produce a team to challenge Graham.

This. Only one team is allowed to win at a time lol

A quick look at the SWD and M7 since 2017.  I use that year as that is when Abingdon joined.

• 2015  Richlands   Union                      NOTE:  Ridgeview's First Season
  • 2016  Richlands  Union
  • 2017  Graham     Union                       NOTE: Abingdon's First Season
  • 2018  Graham     Abingdon
  • 2019  Graham     Ridgeview/Union
  • 2020  COVID       COVID
  • 2021  Graham     Abingdon
  • 2022  Graham     Ridgeview

So, several stories:  We've moved on from the Richlands/Union power balance of the mid 2010's.  The replacement of Richlands with Graham.  The rise of Ridgeview as a serious M7 contender and counter balance to Union.  Abingdon's inclusion added a legitimate third team in the M7 resulting in (2) ships in the last 5 years.  Interesting to note that Central hasn't won a M7 football 'ship but has fielded several good teams that did damage in the playoffs.   Also, the winner of this year's Union/Ridgeview game tips the power balance in the M7 in terms of 'ships since 2017.  Oh, and Graham wins another SWD title.  Lol

It is a shame we lost the COVID year as that was a perfect balanced Region where any of four teams could have won it (Graham, Ridgeview, Union and Central). 

2 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

True man, SWD needs some balance up in there.  One thing about it though, Richlands in those years and Graham in their years/present have kind of not just been/were dominant in their district, they were dominant on a state level.  Richlands year in and year out in their period was top one-two, top 3 seemingly in Virginia about every year minus a year or two, and Graham the same, top 1-2-3 in the state seems like every year, so it kind of didn't matter what district Richlands or Graham were playing in, as they would have dominated Almost all of them.

8 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

True man, SWD needs some balance up in there.  One thing about it though, Richlands in those years and Graham in their years/present have kind of not just been/were dominant in their district, they were dominant on a state level.  Richlands year in and year out in their period was top one-two, top 3 seemingly in Virginia about every year minus a year or two, and Graham the same, top 1-2-3 in the state seems like every year, so it kind of didn't matter what district Richlands or Graham were playing in, as they would have dominated Almost all of them.

Agreed.  I would argue RV was a top 2/3 team last year.  Union has had a team or two that might have made a long run if not for Graham/Richlands/Ridgeview.  I just like balance.  I want to see closer games in the districts and different teams from time to time. 

I'll say that on the transfer front, Union and Graham are much better positioned than Ridgeview.  Union can pull from Lee (and does) and Burton and Central rather easily.  Graham can pull Bluefield, Tazewell, Bland and some other WV places rather easily.  Ridgeview is much more isolated only "touching" one school boundary with less than a 30 minute commute (Central).  It touches Grundy and Eastside's boundaries but those are really long hauls. Point of the story is that sometimes a team is one really good transfer away from being the Region champion.   

5 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Agreed.  I would argue RV was a top 2/3 team last year.  Union has had a team or two that might have made a long run if not for Graham/Richlands/Ridgeview.  I just like balance.  I want to see closer games in the districts and different teams from time to time.  

SwvaOG, remember the 80s with old SWD.  That was balance.  Tazewell, Richlands, Graham, Abingdon, Gate City, even Marion with old Puckett at fullback and Lebanon with Eric Buchanan and that 10.1ish 100 meter speed, the Perkins brothers at Grundy.  That was some balance.  I can't remember all the teams in the old SWD, but there was some good balance there from what I recall compared to today.

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

SwvaOG, remember the 80s with old SWD.  That was balance.  Tazewell, Richlands, Graham, Abingdon, Gate City, even Marion with old Puckett at fullback and Lebanon with Eric Buchanan and that 10.1ish 100 meter speed, the Perkins brothers at Grundy.  That was some balance.  I can't remember all the teams in the old SWD, but there was some good balance there from what I recall compared to today.

Yep, there were a couple years where it was 11 teams, Lol.  Then it broke, appropriately so, into the Highlands and the SWD.  There were some really good teams that couldn't qualify for the playoffs back then...7-3 and 8-2 teams that didn't make it. 

36 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I'll say that on the transfer front, Union and Graham are much better positioned than Ridgeview.  Union can pull from Lee (and does) and Burton and Central rather easily.  Graham can pull Bluefield, Tazewell, Bland and some other WV places rather easily.  Ridgeview is much more isolated only "touching" one school boundary with less than a 30 minute commute (Central).  It touches Grundy and Eastside's boundaries but those are really long hauls. Point of the story is that sometimes a team is one really good transfer away from being the Region champion.   

Union has gotten a few players from Lee but other than Polier none of them have been difference makers unless someone argues for Satterfield with the 1 run to beat Graham and we lose 2-3 kids to transfer every year also 

I remember the old SWD at its end, and that’s what I was thinking about when remembering what seemed like balance. 

In many ways, consolidation (while necessary for other reasons) seems to have hurt the smaller schools athletically. My memory and not knowing the details are foggy, but it always seemed that when divided by classes the talent was often concentrated in some areas or if not, the one with lesser talent was competing in a smaller division (PV and Appalachia). 
In Dickenson County in particular, while both good programs (Clintwood and Haysi) it always seemed to me that either one or the other was loaded. 
In other words, 2-3 athletes you get now by combining resources does not offset the classification rise, especially since longer travel and time sacrifices are an obstacle for some.

As SWVAOG points out, location is vital now. Through transfers you add 2-3 athletes without greatly increasing enrollment and classification. Some schools are just in a sweet spot. I hope it doesn’t happen anytime soon, but if Tazewell County ever consolidates it would have a much tougher time competing with larger schools than Graham does now or Richlands did.

39 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Union has gotten a few players from Lee but other than Polier none of them have been difference makers unless someone argues for Satterfield with the 1 run to beat Graham and we lose 2-3 kids to transfer every year also 

I’d argue Keith Chandler is a difference maker who came from Lee. #5 Lowery is pretty solid for the Bears too. Another Lee guy. 

51 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

I’d argue Keith Chandler is a difference maker who came from Lee. #5 Lowery is pretty solid for the Bears too. Another Lee guy. 

Can't speak on Lowery because I don't know anything about him or his family, but Chandler's whole family is from BSG/Appy. His dad went to PV.

Not exactly a Lee transfer.

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Yep, there were a couple years where it was 11 teams, Lol.  Then it broke, appropriately so, into the Highlands and the SWD.  There were some really good teams that couldn't qualify for the playoffs back then...7-3 and 8-2 teams that didn't make it. 

You are OG if you remember that. LOL The SWD teams went through an absolute gauntlet every season. Graham, Tazewell, Richlands, Grundy, Gate City, VA High, John Battle, Abingdon, PH, and Marion were the 10 throughout the '70s. Lebanon become the 11th in the early '80s when it moved up from Single A, and the Pioneers have continued to bounce between classifications and districts ever since then. 

This post is not intended to discuss recruiting practices by any school.

A successful program is the best recruiter. If a school can have a good run with homegrown talent and win a state title, parents/players from neighboring schools will want to be a part of it.  Once Richlands began its run in 2004 and won State in 2006, the talent began rolling in for the next decade. Graham and Tazewell had no chance to compete, as they were losing kids to the Blues (Lockhart, Gray, Booker...)

Mance's retirement coincided with an insane amount of talent at Graham starting around 2016 and, of course, led a state title in 2018. And once again, parents/players from neighboring schools...

20 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I look at that as not two kids but 4 starting positions not counting special teams.  Additionally, they allowed other kids to "slide down" the positional chart and strengthen it.  For example, Polier dispatched the #1 LB and #1RB on the team.  Well, that #1 LB slid down to the #2 spot and so forth and so on.  It is a cumulative trickle effect for improvement.  Nothing wrong with it....just needs to be acknowledged that it is a big benefit.  If Polier isn't at Union, RV probably wins that game in 2019.  If Satterfield isn't at Union, they probably don't beat Graham.  Those are pretty fair statements.