Who has the best young talent in Swva?

TnT+h

19 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Might’ve moved everyone up to varsity but just a guess 

Probably don’t have the numbers to be competitive.  They lost 9-10 holdbacks to the Middle School. These schools just don’t have the numbers to overcome that and still field competitive Middle, JV and varsity squads.  Just don’t have the numbers. 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Probably don’t have the numbers to be competitive.  They lost 9-10 holdbacks to the Middle School. These schools just don’t have the numbers to overcome that and still field competitive Middle, JV and varsity squads.  Just don’t have the numbers. 

Normally, I would be completely opposed to hold backs. But because of what was done to the education system the last few years, it’s not a bad idea.  I still don’t like it for athletic purposes.  I’m a bit surprised the school board allowed it.  It wasn’t done when I went to Clintwood in the 90’s. Not sure, but I don’t think Haysi did it either. 

23 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Normally, I would be completely opposed to hold backs. But because of what was done to the education system the last few years, it’s not a bad idea.  I still don’t like it for athletic purposes.  I’m a bit surprised the school board allowed it.  It wasn’t done when I went to Clintwood in the 90’s. Not sure, but I don’t think Haysi did it either. 

One of my kids was a 100% academic COVID hold back.  Historically straight -A student with no discipline issues and that 2020/21 year tore her up! Held her back and she went right back to A student.  I would've advised most people do that during that two year window.  

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

One of my kids was a 100% academic COVID hold back.  Historically straight -A student with no discipline issues and that 2020/21 year tore her up! Held her back and she went right back to A student.  I would've advised most people do that during that two year window.  

My nephew makes very good grades and the Covid year kid couldn’t pass a class online.  Too many distractions at home I guess.

On 9/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, Gridiron60 said:

From last night:

Bluefield, Middle School handled Graham, Middle School quite convincingly while Graham JV beat Tazewell’s JV in an equally convincing fashion. 

BMS is loaded this year...bodes well for the Beaver future...

On 9/22/2023 at 2:36 PM, SwvaOG said:

That was a model year for anyone to hold their kid back.  I wish I had made the decision to hold my current senior back had I known things would continue like they had.

I think it hard to look at which jv middle school team is the best because some middle school teams keep all the 8th grade holdbacks.  Where some jv teams play mainly 8th graders, and for Central case right now the over 6 freshman starting on one side of the ball or the other on varsity so they can't play jv at all.  That alone makes it real hard to know who could be the best jv team or middle school team around.

Graham is the best MS team I've ever seen in person with its impressive size, skill, speed, and depth. Of course, having another Bradshaw doesn't hurt. As a side note, the team had numbers on their helmets instead of the G-Star, which looks very similar to the Commanders' lids. Anyway, the future continues to look bright for the G-Men.

34 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Graham is the best MS team I've ever seen in person with its impressive size, skill, speed, and depth. Of course, having another Bradshaw doesn't hurt. As a side note, the team had numbers on their helmets instead of the G-Star, which looks very similar to the Commanders' lids. Anyway, the future continues to look bright for the G-Men.

Liam, however good Graham's is, then you will want to see Bluefield's.  From what I told, Bluefield's Middle School took Graham apart a week or 2 ago.  I don't know if this was 7th or 8th grade, etc, but Bluefield supposedly gave the GMEN middle schoolers their first loss in junior high in a while. But, don't quote me on that.  I didn't see the game, and the info I got is from a Bluefield Beaver diehard fan I still play racquetball with occasionally. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Liam, however good Graham's is, then you will want to see Bluefield's.  From what I told, Bluefield's Middle School took Graham apart a week or 2 ago.  I don't know if this was 7th or 8th grade, etc, but Bluefield supposedly gave the GMEN middle schoolers their first loss in junior high in a while. But, don't quote me on that.  I didn't see the game, and the info I got is from a Bluefield Beaver diehard fan I still play racquetball with occasionally. 

Bluefield MS has talent. Graham had a couple of dropped passes in the end zone but Bluefield won handily. I’m not sure how many on either team are hold backs but both played pretty well even though Graham lost. It will be interesting the next few years in the Bluefields! 

2 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Graham Middle has blown out every team other than Bluefield (loss 30-8) & a win over Tazewell (16-14)