Who has the best young talent in Swva?

TnT+h

7 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

Ridgeview’s entire middle school team are supposed to be freshman/sophomores so I reckon they’re pretty good. Their JV not so much 

Yea, RV middle school has Cannon Hills little Bro and a bunch of studs. The leagues below them are stacked as well. You can expect players form the middle school jump right in to Varsity play more than likely their freshman year. RV should be good for a few years for sure.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, generallyspeaking said:

Ridgeview’s entire middle school team are supposed to be freshman/sophomores so I reckon they’re pretty good. Their JV not so much 

Its true.  But the hold backs are pretty much all skill guys, not a lot of OL or size.  A couple of taller WR types, a running threat QB, FB and one kid that can turn into a burner... slot type.  Should be pretty good defensively but need some OL/DL. 

On 9/16/2023 at 1:23 AM, Unchained said:

Union's middle school and JV bunch are beating the brakes off folks. I hear that Eastside is in great shape as well.

They play RV’s Middle School team today.  Should be a good one.

21 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

They play RV’s Middle School team today.  Should be a good one.

Well, it wasn't and neither was the JV RV/Union match up.  Lol.  RV Middle School won 30+ to 0 and Union's JV team got revenge by winning 30+ to 0.  🤷‍♂️

Union's JV looked like it will be feeding the varsity squad with a lot of good athletes next.  Ridgeview won't see significant contributions from that 8th grade class for another 2 years.  I think the advantage goes to Union next year. 

35 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, it wasn't and neither was the JV RV/Union match up.  Lol.  RV Middle School won 30+ to 0 and Union's JV team got revenge by winning 30+ to 0.  🤷‍♂️

Union's JV looked like it will be feeding the varsity squad with a lot of good athletes next.  Ridgeview won't see significant contributions from that 8th grade class for another 2 years.  I think the advantage goes to Union next year. 

Hard to go by those scores and predict future seasons.  Some teams will have 8th and 9th graders playing 8th grade and freshman and sophomore’s playing JV and I’ve heard of some juniors playing for some JV teams.

RV has created an issue in that the majority of the should-be 9th grade athletes (8-10) held back last year and are 8th graders this year.  It creates a gap the year before them (why the JV team isn't that good) and it suppresses playing time for the class behind it (7th graders and true 8th graders not coming out).  It is usually done with the skill position players....the glory boys as I call them.  Lol.  It is more rare to see the OL/DL kids do it.  

Times have changed...not sure for the better.  I don't remember one kid on my middle school team that was a sports related hold-back.  We held back two of ours...one due to the COVID year and the other for maturity/academic performance reasons.  I don't regret those decisions as it seemed to work out for both of them.  But some or these kids are up to 18-20 months older than kids in their class.  

13 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

RV has created an issue in that the majority of the should-be 9th grade athletes (8-10) held back last year and are 8th graders this year.  It creates a gap the year before them (why the JV team isn't that good) and it suppresses playing time for the class behind it (7th graders and true 8th graders not coming out).  It is usually done with the skill position players....the glory boys as I call them.  Lol.  It is more rare to see the OL/DL kids do it.  

Times have changed...not sure for the better.  I don't remember one kid on my middle school team that was a sports related hold-back.  We held back two of ours...one due to the COVID year and the other for maturity/academic performance reasons.  I don't regret those decisions as it seemed to work out for both of them.  But some or these kids are up to 18-20 months older than kids in their class.  

I know of one kid that’s 14 & in the 7th grade while most are still 12 & will turn 13 by next August. It’s kind of crazy to me.