Richlands

Blue Tornado

1 hour ago, CPF said:

Didn't he play at Richlands? It's a natural fit if he wants it.

I know what Wicks did do.  He had one of the hardest hits ever delivered by another human at the High School level.  The lick was a legal hit and a fair hit, but it was so vicious I felt "dirty" watching it.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=Shane+Wicks+hit&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS1076US1076&oq=Shane+Wicks+hit&aqs=chrome..69i57.2750j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f45f5567,vid:eI0-v93Q7Fw,st:0

Problem at Richlands is money. We started to see it rear its ugly head around the time that Mance was almost ready to leave and he would salvage a season or two out of it before he left. When Thad Wells came in, the higher ups wanted him out so bad it hurt. So, when he came across an opportunity to leave, he took it. I don't blame him if all the facts are correct, writing plays for a college program, D-1 at that, who wouldn't?

Then you get the debacle that has him "quitting" or "getting fired", on whichever side of the story that you believe, followed by the principals and everything after the fact. Then the ones that they brought up are fearful for their jobs so much so now that they have become yes men to whatever the school district wants. They are not going to fire Tarter. He has way too much tenure in the school and way too much tenure on that football staff to be let go for nothing on the football side of things. He would have to want to step down before they will take it out from under him, so yes, some of the blame can be put on Tarter for sticking around KNOWNING that he doesn't know the offensive and defensive side of the ball enough to be a head coach. However, if the school is not going to allow him to bring those folks in that can help, what can he do?

It is a true mess in the county and school, it truly is. I seen it coming with the way that villainized Thad Wells, even I fell into it without knowing all the facts, but as they say in Letterkenny, bad gas travels fast in a small town. But, this group, this is the poorest team I have seen in high school football, not just Richlands, in years. They are big, they have the talent, they just don't want to show it. However, the last thing you need is the coach going on the radio and blaming the kids instead of himself or his coaching staff on a loss. You want to lose more kids to Honaker, that is how you do it. Between the debacles with girls basketball, football, baseball field, bands, groups not getting funding promised... The whole high school should be ashamed. The good old boys club just ain't hacking it no more. Time to clean house, both at the high school, the town, and everything and start fresh.

3 hours ago, CzarYakov said:

Problem at Richlands is money. We started to see it rear its ugly head around the time that Mance was almost ready to leave and he would salvage a season or two out of it before he left. When Thad Wells came in, the higher ups wanted him out so bad it hurt. So, when he came across an opportunity to leave, he took it. I don't blame him if all the facts are correct, writing plays for a college program, D-1 at that, who wouldn't?

Then you get the debacle that has him "quitting" or "getting fired", on whichever side of the story that you believe, followed by the principals and everything after the fact. Then the ones that they brought up are fearful for their jobs so much so now that they have become yes men to whatever the school district wants. They are not going to fire Tarter. He has way too much tenure in the school and way too much tenure on that football staff to be let go for nothing on the football side of things. He would have to want to step down before they will take it out from under him, so yes, some of the blame can be put on Tarter for sticking around KNOWNING that he doesn't know the offensive and defensive side of the ball enough to be a head coach. However, if the school is not going to allow him to bring those folks in that can help, what can he do?

It is a true mess in the county and school, it truly is. I seen it coming with the way that villainized Thad Wells, even I fell into it without knowing all the facts, but as they say in Letterkenny, bad gas travels fast in a small town. But, this group, this is the poorest team I have seen in high school football, not just Richlands, in years. They are big, they have the talent, they just don't want to show it. However, the last thing you need is the coach going on the radio and blaming the kids instead of himself or his coaching staff on a loss. You want to lose more kids to Honaker, that is how you do it. Between the debacles with girls basketball, football, baseball field, bands, groups not getting funding promised... The whole high school should be ashamed. The good old boys club just ain't hacking it no more. Time to clean house, both at the high school, the town, and everything and start fresh.

You obviously know more details than I, so I’m certain your points are valid. To chime in, I would add that in my opinion these things have gone further back than recent events of the last 4-5 years, in several sports. A great deal was obscured by success by a good group of athletes and coaches. I mentioned the year’s coaching experience on the football staff earlier, but add to it other sports with revolving doors. Basketball (girls and boys), baseball, and softball to a lesser degree, seems to have had multiple coaches within 2-3 year periods. Some of those have had more far reaching effects than initially realized. Imagine greater stability at the top with many sports that were formerly successful while having more of the student athletes as a byproduct. The Fuller brothers alone would have contributed greatly to the success of all 3 sports, as the Lowe kids, Trivettes, etc. will certainly now at their new destinations. There has been some talk of the feeder programs being to blame, and while not perfect, I have witnessed several very caring coaches and parents doing an admirable job trying to grow and develop players. Based upon little league results, I would say the talent and results have been better than average. Whatever has happened, or is happening after that, I haven’t a clue other than the picture your post is painting. 

On 9/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The gentlemen SwvaOG would be the perfect hire and I'm dead serous on that.  You know how many of us fans get on message boards and we sometimes give posts that seems like we could actually be the coach or do a good job when 99% of the time it would go the other way and we wouldn't do well.  Well, SwvaOG is in the 1% that would do well.  I know his brother and know him some, vaguely.  I know that he absolutely knows football, and not just knows it, knows it a higher level that a gigantic chunk of other HS Coaches in Virginia.  You also have someone that has lived abroad/away from here, and is knowledgeable of modern day offenses that would look way different than 99% of those in Southwest Virginia, and is qualified trust me, and is a former alum.  You would see Richlands offense look a whole lot different.  Additionally, if he were to get his brother to help out on the defensive side of the ball, Richlands would be in good shape and there would be a turn around.  Only my opinions.  My point is....there are people in the Richlands area still....or at least somewhat close the area that absolutely know what they are doing and are more than capable.  I'm not saying that as any kind of knock on the current staff or coach either (I know Tarter, he's a class act, gentlemen, great man).  I am saying this if Tarter were to retire, there are people in the area that are more than capable. 

Thank you, Sir, for those kind words.  I'm smart enough to know that I would need a lot more experience before jumping into the fray and I'm smart enough to know to surround myself with smart/talented and hungry people.  I study it routinely.  It is something I've thought about quite a bit but I'm not sure I'm well suited to deal with BS politics and small town personal agendas...just ain't the guy that will handle that very well.  When I hear 'no' or "we can't" my first response is always going to be "why" or "why, not"?  But, I'll say this, in the right spot with the right AD/community support, with a group of peers that share mutual respect and will work hard, I'd love to.  It is on my life's path/career path for sure.  I would only promise that I wouldn't be outworked by my competition. 

Side note...this actually came close to happening at another school a couple of years ago but things fell apart before the season started. 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, Tru Blue72 said:

Wicks would be a good coach no doubt, but it would have to pass the political powers to be, and McGhee would probably have to sign off on it. So I doubt it would work.

I'd like to see him get a shot. The AD/Principal need to either be enablers or get out of the way.  

On 9/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, Tru Blue72 said:

Wicks would be a good coach no doubt, but it would have to pass the political powers to be, and McGhee would probably have to sign off on it. So I doubt it would work.

Are there coaches already on staff that would be eligible for the head job? Wouldn’t they look within before hiring outside?

12 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

What about Compton? That ship already sailed? He was at Bluefield for a minute but I've lost track. 

If you're referring to Mike Compton, he has been at UVA-Wise for the past eight years or so. His current position is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach.

Just now, Liam McPoyle said:

If you're referring to Mike Compton, he has been at UVA-Wise for the past eight years or so. His current position is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach.

I don't think he's going anywhere unless he got an opportunity at a higher level of play school like a D1 or FCS type school.  I heard he loved it down there.  

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

but I'm not sure I'm well suited to deal with BS politics and small town personal agendas...just ain't the guy that will handle that very well.

You should probably avoid Rural Retreat, unless, of course, you can uphold the "Coach Rhea Standard."  

1 hour ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

Didn't know that about Compton. Good for him. I believe he had a son play a few years back at Richlands maybe but can't remember his age if he's still in school? Wish they could get it going at uva- wise. 

His son is on the coaching staff at Richlands now

On 9/28/2023 at 11:42 PM, Blue Tornado said:

His son is on the coaching staff at Richlands now

If I'm not mistaking his son got two flags Friday for arguing with the officials and will be suspended for a game.  Lack of discipline runs rampant on this team.  There is no structure from the top down.  Assistant coaches should never be on the field protesting a call, to me that is the HC's responsibility.  People have been wondering why all the flags for personal penalties, well, here's your sign, coaches undesciplined, players will follow.  HC said after game that he was giving the players a day off but would be cooking pancakes, eggs, and ham to entice the players to get into the weight room, (are you serious???) Come on man, you're the coach, demand that your players get in the weight room, and tell them, no weight training, no game play, BE THE COACH, not their buddy.  Yes, I'm venting, been a blues fan for many years, and in my opinion, this is the worst coachhing staff I've ever seen at RHS.  If I'm wrong, I apoligize, but a rose is a rose even if it's called by another name and no matter how much perfume you spray on a pile of poop, it doesn't take away the stink.  

6 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

If I'm not mistaking his son got two flags Friday for arguing with the officials and will be suspended for a game.  Lack of discipline runs rampant on this team.  There is no structure from the top down.  Assistant coaches should never be on the field protesting a call, to me that is the HC's responsibility.  People have been wondering why all the flags for personal penalties, well, here's your sign, coaches undesciplined, players will follow.  HC said after game that he was giving the players a day off but would be cooking pancakes, eggs, and ham to entice the players to get into the weight room, (are you serious???) Come on man, you're the coach, demand that your players get in the weight room, and tell them, no weight training, no game play, BE THE COACH, not their buddy.  Yes, I'm venting, been a blues fan for many years, and in my opinion, this is the worst coachhing staff I've ever seen at RHS.  If I'm wrong, I apoligize, but a rose is a rose even if it's called by another name and no matter how much perfume you spray on a pile of poop, it doesn't take away the stink.  

Times have changed man. You can't go demanding anything of these kids anymore, they either want to do it or they don't. You can't 'punish' kids anymore otherwise they'll just quit and if you've looked on the sidelines lately, Richlands football doesn't have 70 kids dressed anymore. 

It's not all on the coaching staff.

47 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

Times have changed man. You can't go demanding anything of these kids anymore, they either want to do it or they don't. You can't 'punish' kids anymore otherwise they'll just quit and if you've looked on the sidelines lately, Richlands football doesn't have 70 kids dressed anymore. 

Dude is right. Kids, parents, and society have changed. If your program is established and been on a roll as of late, its easier to get kids out. If you have been down in the dumps, attendance falls, critics get louder, and being hurt turns into "injuries". 

On 9/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, Blue Tornado said:

Are there coaches already on staff that would be eligible for the head job? Wouldn’t they look within before hiring outside?

Is there anyone there you'd really want at this point?

21 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I do agree with you to a certain point, times have changed.  I have worked with a lot of youth throughout my 70 years and I find that they are very good at adapting to structure and rules.  If you let them know up front that this is the rules we will go by, and then enforce those rules with kindness, living by them yourself, they will adapt to the structure you have laid out.  I have had a few rebell to a certain extent, but after explaining the reason for the rules, they got on board with the program pretty good.  I'm not suggesting dictatorship from the coaches or the parents, but society itself has slipped into lawlessness to a certain degree, and leading any kind of program can not be succcessfully done without structure and following the guidlines of that structure.  Not to ramble on, and it's just my opinion, but most (if not all young people) would rather live by the guidelines or rules, rather than live heter skerter in a lawless society.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:04 AM, Tru Blue72 said:

I think he only got one flag at the beginning of the game.

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good for Compton. That tells me somebody has some intensity, wants to win, and has a pulse. 

He got one personal foul at the beginning of the game and at the end of the game two players were ejected, but he was not. There was some confusion about whether or not he got ejected, I believe.