Ridgeview @ Union

CriticalNoise

I believe the game will come down to if Union can keep O’Quinn from gashing them for 15-20 yard runs. Union has great team speed on defense with the ability to adapt to different situations. 

Should be a good time. Assuming the forecast remains the same and the rain stays away, it’ll be football weather for the first time this season. 

RV has added a wrinkle with moving Scanlon to TE.  They unwisely showed this against Richlands for some inexplicable reason (they should have kept that under wraps)> He is a big target that can catch the ball and is physical.  I feel that he needs 6-8 targets on play action fakes (RV doesn't do those though) and TE screens. This is a mismatch for any Union defender if handled right.  The only other mismatch, if used properly, can be the slot (Baker #10) against zone coverage.  I don't think the DB have or have shown good lock-in coverage other than sitting back in a zone and picking deep passes. Make these kids display coverage skills.  If RV can isolate the slot on a DB particularly the S, that's an advantage.  I'd be dragging #10 all the way across the formation and doing misdirection routs (pig-outs, etc.) The other wildcard for RV is O'Quinn as a runner but I think he won't be able to edge Union like he wants to do.  They need to call at least 4-5 QB draws to keep the D honest. 

So....in summary for RV:

• Get Scanlon (#8, TE) 6-8 touches on TE screens and "post-up" routes.  Try him at least 1-2 down the seam.
  • Don't over target the slot (Union will be ready) but attack defensive spaces and make those DBs have to actually cover in space.  Use mis-direction routes and drag him across the middle on some mesh routes.  I'm also convinced, if RV's line can give them time, that the Union DBs can be had by a good two vert route or 2-move route (post corner particularly). Mix up the routes for the kid.  I like him a lot on a slot fade or a corner route.
  • O'Quin has to run 4-5 QB draws to keep things honest.  I would absolutely draw up a bootleg and give him the run-pass option with the TE dragging across the formation into the bootleg side.  Listen.....this still destroys NFL defenses....it will work against high school.
  • Running game needs to be varied.....use delayed draws and some two back sets.  Give Union something to think about because they haven't seen it on tape. But, other than the QB breaking contain....it will be tough sledding for the RBs. This is the game where they will miss Hackney.

Unless turnovers, busted/big plays or penalties really come into play.  I think Union wins this one. 

A lot of hype for this game, just because the importance for Power points. Union is a little more battle tested than RV, but still should be a great match-up. O'Quinn will test the limits of the defense being able to scramble and throw in the run, but RV defense is a little suspect the past 2 weeks allowing people to move the ball decently.

Certainly the line disadvantage hurts RV. RV line has shown glimpses of being able to block, but a lot more of giving up the block early. RV has got to stop trying to run up the middle so frequently..they waste so many plays trying that from a observation standpoint. Maybe it’s to set up another play somewhere down the line but it’s frustrating to watch. 
 Union is so battle tested now it’s hard to imagine they take this game lightly especially since what it means for points and standing. Very solid team but they have weaknesses as well. This will be a who shows up game, and who maintains composure by not creating self-defeating penalties and mistakes. 

15 minutes ago, rdh2443 said:

Certainly the line disadvantage hurts RV. RV line has shown glimpses of being able to block, but a lot more of giving up the block early. RV has got to stop trying to run up the middle so frequently..they waste so many plays trying that from a observation standpoint. Maybe it’s to set up another play somewhere down the line but it’s frustrating to watch. 
 Union is so battle tested now it’s hard to imagine they take this game lightly especially since what it means for points and standing. Very solid team but they have weaknesses as well. This will be a who shows up game, and who maintains composure by not creating self-defeating penalties and mistakes. 

I tracked their tendencies last year and they ran the ball on 1st down 87% of the time and up the middle on first down 69% of the time.  The average for 1st down runs between the tackles was 2.7 YPC.  Now, on the 1st down runs that were around the edge, they averaged 5.7 YPC.  They gained an average of 9.7 yards on first down throws to INCLUDE INCOMPLETIONS!  But they just refused to do it.  And this was with a starting WR corp that was 6'1", 6'2" and 6'3" and two of those kids playing college ball now.  Their play calling and lack of self analysis it maddening!

RV wants to run with power but isn't committed or coached to do it.  To be successful, you have to know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses.    

28 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Well congratulations Ridgeview cause nobody is beating Union at unsportsmanlike penalties we’ve excelled at this for years 

Rural Retreat will gladly do battle, unless something has changed over there.  I remember watching them a couple of years ago, and it seemed like when they made a tackle, there was someone often just getting punched in the face.  And when Rural Retreat had the ball, when the opponent tackled them, the opponent was often just punched in the face for making the tackle.  I don't know if the former coach is still there or not, but that was as bad as the old Peterstown High, WV.

RV is 6-0 but has a grand total of 10 rider points off of those 6 wins. For the record that is the lowest total in all of 2D. Richlands is 0-6 and has 26 rider points. Strength of schedule is going to come back to bite the Wolfpack in the butt this week. I havnt seen RV play at all but I have seen Union and Union is so much better than anyone RV has played this year. I’m gonna say RV is not ready for this level of competition and union rolls.

33 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I tracked their tendencies last year and they ran the ball on 1st down 87% of the time and up the middle on first down 69% of the time.  The average for 1st down runs between the tackles was 2.7 YPC.  Now, on the 1st down runs that were around the edge, they averaged 5.7 YPC.  They gained an average of 9.7 yards on first down throws to INCLUDE INCOMPLETIONS!  But they just refused to do it.  And this was with a starting WR corp that was 6'1", 6'2" and 6'3" and two of those kids playing college ball now.  Their play calling and lack of self analysis it maddening!

RV wants to run with power but isn't committed or coached to do it.  To be successful, you have to know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses.    

You are so on point..your insight is so valuable 

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Did you watch the RV/VHS game?  RV is good for a couple of these a game. 

No didn’t see that game lol!!!  In all honesty Union isn’t as bad as they were a couple years ago with penalties but still bad enough 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Guys let’s not get too excited. RV is gonna come to play and they can test Union in unique ways. I think it’s a one possession, last team with ball wins game. 

It’s gonna be a tough game hopefully unions tougher schedule helps them out a bit 

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

RV is 6-0 but has a grand total of 10 rider points off of those 6 wins. For the record that is the lowest total in all of 2D. Richlands is 0-6 and has 26 rider points. Strength of schedule is going to come back to bite the Wolfpack in the butt this week. I havnt seen RV play at all but I have seen Union and Union is so much better than anyone RV has played this year. I’m gonna say RV is not ready for this level of competition and union rolls.

When do they start releasing the power points or did I miss them 

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Rural Retreat will gladly do battle, unless something has changed over there.  I remember watching them a couple of years ago, and it seemed like when they made a tackle, there was someone often just getting punched in the face.  And when Rural Retreat had the ball, when the opponent tackled them, the opponent was often just punched in the face for making the tackle.  I don't know if the former coach is still there or not, but that was as bad as the old Peterstown High, WV.

Unions penalties are usually something stupid like late hits or mouthing off.  Should’ve been penalized last night on a long TD when someone did their Deion impersonation with the ref right there 

5 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

When do they start releasing the power points or did I miss them 

I’ve got a spreadsheet just for sh*ts and giggles I know the rider points are right I’m not sure how they classify these out of state teams