Ridgeview @ Union

CriticalNoise

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Riggs stadium is a special place. Attended many a game there and Bullitt Park growing up. I think the atmospheres at both places were so good because both towns supported their teams and schools unconditionally.

Combining the 2 schools, fanbases and traditions are what makes The Park's atmosphere even better today than it was with just PV alone.

I would not mind an occasional game at Riggs, but with the money they've put into Bullitt the last few years, I don't know if that will happen much, if at all.

Yeah not gonna happen 

In 2014 Union played Sullivan North at Riggs. 

Funny story about the name Riggs Stadium.

My parents and a few of my relatives moved from Big Stone to Fort Walton Beach, Florida. There’s 2 high schools there: Choctawhatchee (aka Choctaw) and Fort Walton Beach. Fort Walton Beach mascot is the Vikings. The football stadium is named Steve Riggs Football Stadium. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Lord, good thing Ridgeview is a new stadium.  I could only imagine if the games were played at Ralph Cummins stadium and not over at Sandlick. Lol.

I loved going to games at Clintwood only been to Haysi once I believe 

12 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Lord, good thing Ridgeview is a new stadium.  I could only imagine if the games were played at Ralph Cummins stadium and not over at Sandlick. Lol.

There would be an uproar from the Haysi area if that were to happen. That’s why they pushed so hard to build the stadium when the new school was built. I do miss Ralph Cummins stadium though.  I’m glad they decided to do something with it instead of it just sitting rotting. 

4 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

There would be an uproar from the Haysi area if that were to happen. That’s why they pushed so hard to build the stadium when the new school was built. I do miss Ralph Cummins stadium though.  I’m glad they decided to do something with it instead of it just sitting rotting. 

I never watched a high school game at either, watched some little league, but I do see the appeal and "charm" of Cummins stadium.  I'm sure the Haysi fans will boil over this but I just didn't see that in the Tigers' field and stadium although I do love how most of the old stadiums had the stands/fans so close to the field.   

I have seen games at every active stadium in Southwest Virginia at one time or another in my 40 years of fandom. My memories range from the horrible to fantastic. There was a quaintness to Cummins Stadium and the Popcorn was next level! Haysi was kind of dumpy and had terrible sightlines. The cream of the crop as far as facilities are Virginia High, Mitchell Stadium, Richlands and Ridgeview. The coziness of Bullitt Park and Legion Field where you literally sit within feet of the bench is what stadiums should be! Riggs was great too as far as atmosphere!  

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

I have seen games at every active stadium in Southwest Virginia at one time or another in my 40 years of fandom. My memories range from the horrible to fantastic. There was a quaintness to Cummins Stadium and the Popcorn was next level! Haysi was kind of dumpy and had terrible sightlines. The cream of the crop as far as facilities are Virginia High, Mitchell Stadium, Richlands and Ridgeview. The coziness of Bullitt Park and Legion Field where you literally sit within feet of the bench is what stadiums should be! Riggs was great too as far as atmosphere!  

Ridgeview would be next level if they had reversed the homestand (currently stares directly into the sun) and moved the stadium closer to the field.  

An underrated aspect of RIchlands is that the visiting team has to do that long walk from the back side of the middle school and across the street and they (when times were good) got to take in a packed and vocal home stands with 3-5K people in it hollerin'.  I thought that was awesome.  My freshman year there, IIRC, we entered the field by walking under and and through the home side.  That was pretty cool because you were in with the crowd.  Abingdon does this now but doesn't have the same effect it did back then. 

I enjoyed playing at fields that were close to the stands or allowed fans down right on the field.....like Lebanon, Tazewell....I like playing at VHS as well.  

1 minute ago, SwvaOG said:

An underrated aspect of RIchlands is that the visiting team has to do that long walk from the back side of the middle school and across the street and they (when times were good) got to take in a packed and vocal home stands with 3-5K people in it hollerin'.  I thought that was awesome.  My freshman year there, IIRC, we entered the field by walking under and and through the home side.  That was pretty cool because you were in with the crowd.  Abingdon does this now but doesn't have the same effect it did back then. 

Another underrated aspect is if you are a visiting fan from Orange County, circa 1992, you have to walk into the stadium from behind the home stands and are forced to duck snowballs whizzing by your head.  😛

54 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Ridgeview would be next level if they had reversed the homestand (currently stares directly into the sun) and moved the stadium closer to the field.  

I enjoyed playing at fields that were close to the stands or allowed fans down right on the field.....like Lebanon, Tazewell....I like playing at VHS as well.  

You are correct about Ridgeview. Plus they should have put the track where the practice fields are.  

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

You are correct about Ridgeview. Plus they should have put the track where the practice fields are.  

Yeah it’s not as bad as central but the fans are pretty far away from the field 

And by the way,  union 34 -6   these kids from Rose ridge, whether  from  haysi, deadwood, or Nora, need to keep their heads in the game... quit listening  to mommy and daddy  hollering  from  bleachers.  I've  heard  enough  .

11 minutes ago, Vol Hater said:

I'm going out on a limb here but I just have this feeling that Ridgeviews going to surprise the bears Friday night Wolfpack 30 Union 24.

I can tell you now that you are completely wrong because there is no way Union gets a 3 point field goal! 

27 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I can tell you now that you are completely wrong because there is no way Union gets a 3 point field goal! 

Three 2pt conversions would be only way or miss 4 extra points the more likely scenario 

1 hour ago, cwood78 said:

And by the way,  union 34 -6   these kids from Rose ridge, whether  from  haysi, deadwood, or Nora, need to keep their heads in the game... quit listening  to mommy and daddy  hollering  from  bleachers.  I've  heard  enough  .

He hath risen! cwood78, where have you been man?  It's been like 2 or 3 years since I've seen you post. I always enjoyed to takes on the Ridge. I think the Bears win, but I think it's a lot closer than 34-6. Could be wrong though.