Ridgeview @ Union

CriticalNoise

On 10/2/2023 at 9:59 PM, BearsFan88 said:

In 2014 Union played Sullivan North at Riggs. 

Funny story about the name Riggs Stadium.

My parents and a few of my relatives moved from Big Stone to Fort Walton Beach, Florida. There’s 2 high schools there: Choctawhatchee (aka Choctaw) and Fort Walton Beach. Fort Walton Beach mascot is the Vikings. The football stadium is named Steve Riggs Football Stadium. 

My dad graduated from Fort Walton Beach HS. Small world lol. 

If Chandler healthy I can see this game getting out of hand.  The kid just different fast, strong, low center of gravity, and he likes contact Idk if anyone on this side of Richmond can stop him alone.  Now add Anderson, Bostic, Huff, and the other Anderson its just a hard offense to stop all the way around.  

I believe defensively, The Wolfpack haven't seen one this tough yet.  They appear to have finally evolved and do much better in space.  I still believe Chandler would be better suited inside but he does well where he's at.  The Bears haven't saw a QB like O'Quinn yet either so it should be interesting.

2 hours ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

I believe defensively, The Wolfpack haven't seen one this tough yet.  They appear to have finally evolved and do much better in space.  I still believe Chandler would be better suited inside but he does well where he's at.  The Bears haven't saw a QB like O'Quinn yet either so it should be interesting.

When RV wins this game it is because they out-athlete Union at key positions. It was true in 2018 (Adkins, Sproles, Sexton, etc.) and it was true in 2022 (Beavers, Hill, O'Quinn, Counts).  If talent is even or favors Union, Union wins and I don't expect this year to be different.  Until something changes you can almost always count on Union OL > RV's. But RV always plays Union tough and usually fields a scrappy defense and I think Grant is a good DC, with his strength being the front seven.  Unless something has changed, the DBs aren't coached up very well and Union can exploit that......if they get tired of running the ball. 

Fun fact for U. Thru 6 games Unions defense has pitched 3 shutouts and has only allowed 48 total points, that's average of 8 points a game. Now 27 of them were to Science Hill, Graham 14 and Twin Springs scored 7 on the 2nd and 3rd string. Take away from this what you want but that's pretty dang impressive. Ridgeview will have a hard time scoring on the bears imo. If they score more then 21 the pack will win if not going to be a long ride back.....

6 minutes ago, Vol Hater said:

Fun fact for U. Thru 6 games Unions defense has pitched 3 shutouts and has only allowed 48 total points, that's average of 8 points a game. Now 27 of them were to Science Hill, Graham 14 and Twin Springs scored 7 on the 2nd and 3rd string. Take away from this what you want but that's pretty dang impressive. Ridgeview will have a hard time scoring on the bears imo. If they score more then 21 the pack will win if not going to be a long ride back.....

The defense is the strength of this team for sure and might be as good as the 17 team.  Still unsure about offense especially if Chandler isn’t at full health, they just look out of sync without him.

1 minute ago, Duke2015 said:

The defense is the strength of this team for sure and might be as good as the 17 team.  Still unsure about offense especially if Chandler isn’t at full health, they just look out of sync without him.

I know it was only twin springs and no disrespect here. But  union looked pretty good with out him last week. If my memory serves me correct Chandler only played 1 play on offense last week.

Just now, Vol Hater said:

I know it was only twin springs and no disrespect here. But  union looked pretty good with out him last week. If my memory serves me correct Chandler only played 1 play on offense last week.

I didn’t think he played at all honestly but TS played hard and yeah Union could’ve put up 70

11 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Advantage of having speed and athleticism for Union at the skilled positions is that they don't necessarily need or have to go on those 10 and 12 play 7 yds per play running drives that leads to points. They can have a 3 and out, or the next drive facing 2nd and 19, and then the big play/the athlete scores from 70 yds.  That's the difference in Union this year compared to years past in my opinion. 

The greater the ability to score from anywhere on the field with athletes in a hurry leads to more cushion/more error is allowed/don't have to be perfect with the long sustained down the field running game. Even more turnovers are tolerable. 

4 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

I didn’t think he played at all honestly but TS played hard and yeah Union could’ve put up 70

Exactly hoping that showed the rest of them if they key on Keith. Then the rest of them can make them pay.....

Chandler didn’t appear to be too happy on the sideline about not getting much PT last week, lol. Not that he was being any type of way, but you could tell he felt he was ready to get out there and go. Probably a smart decision to rest him and have him fresh this week. I look for a big night from him. 

1 hour ago, appyvol said:

I'd love a game at Riggs every two years or so, but I'm biased. 

Me too but was told by a very reliable source that about 20 people complained from bsg about the game played there vs SN and put a stop to it.  Even though it was one of the biggest crowds Union has ever had.

56 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Me too but was told by a very reliable source that about 20 people complained from bsg about the game played there vs SN and put a stop to it.  Even though it was one of the biggest crowds Union has ever 

Imagine that I bet I know who.....probably same ones who complain about it being too loud......

20 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Me too but was told by a very reliable source that about 20 people complained from bsg about the game played there vs SN and put a stop to it.  Even though it was one of the biggest crowds Union has ever had.

Shame on the whiney bunch from BSG that complained. Once every 3 years for a home game? That ain't asking much. Once or twice a year? Yep, too much, but good Lord, what's the harm in 1 game in 36 months at Riggs? The crowd would be big because of the "throwback," to Appy. Some would come out of their way that may not normally go just to have that experience of history. It's a win win for Union High regarding money making and it keeps the Appy bunch happy.  Just my opinion though.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I’m one of the people who isn’t a fan of Riggs but I can promise you I have zero influence and have never complained to anyone in any authority about playing in Appy or the horn FWIW. 

Nah wasn’t accusing you lol!!!  If that’s what you meant