Hurley and TV combining football teams next season??

SWVAgridiron

Why not just combine Hurley, Twin Valley AND Grundy? Why have TV or Hurley kids drive past Grundy to practice together? All 3 will be consolidated soon anyway, go ahead and put the football programs together.

Imo it should have been done before this season, that way they could have went ahead and made a 2A SWD schedule 

28 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Why not just combine Hurley, Twin Valley AND Grundy? Why have TV or Hurley kids drive past Grundy to practice together? All 3 will be consolidated soon anyway, go ahead and put the football programs together.

Imo it should have been done before this season, that way they could have went ahead and made a 2A SWD schedule 

Riverhead will hate having Grundy in 2A for wrestling.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:12 AM, 1inStripes said:

Considering what Grundy once held in school enrollment Im not sure they they couldnt just move all of them to Grundy until the new facility is built.

-Well other than people being hardheaded.

You should come to Hurley, go to the head of Elk Creek or Guesses Fork and ride a Bus to Poplar Gap, then tell us all what a great trip you had.

10 hours ago, honestjohn said:

You should come to Hurley, go to the head of Elk Creek or Guesses Fork and ride a Bus to Poplar Gap, then tell us all what a great trip you had.

I don't think consolidation is the issue. I think it's where they want to put the school. That money was given to Hurley High, and they are putting the school on the far end of Grundy. 

10 hours ago, honestjohn said:

I used to make that drive daily. Took me almost an hour some days. I hate to think how long it would take a bus to make it.

2 hours ago, TS Fan said:

I used to make that drive daily. Took me almost an hour some days. I hate to think how long it would take a bus to make it.

With the Roads we have in Buchanan County it is probably an hour and half on a Bus, but the powers that be are only worried about getting Grundy a new School.

18 hours ago, honestjohn said:

My guess is they are putting it where land is accessible and where its convenient to as much of the county population as possible.  Thats just a guess as I dont know Buchanon County that well.  That being said there are kids who ride the bus for an hour and a half going to Rye Cove and its 68 years old for the current school building.  Why is it where its at?  Its where the land was already owned by the school system and the largest part of the population was at the time.  In hindsight moving it to Duffield would have been much better for drive time for what became the school enrollment.

45 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

My guess is they are putting it where land is accessible and where its convenient to as much of the county population as possible.  Thats just a guess as I dont know Buchanon County that well.  That being said there are kids who ride the bus for an hour and a half going to Rye Cove and its 68 years old for the current school building.  Why is it where its at?  Its where the land was already owned by the school system and the largest part of the population was at the time.  In hindsight moving it to Duffield would have been much better for drive time for what became the school enrollment.

This is exactly the reason. Buchanan County has spent millions developing flat land (nonexistent outside of surface mine reclamation sites, like the one that has been developed) to create more modern facilities and drive the county into a more modern era.

God forbid they used some foresight and selected this to be built close to the CFX connectors, not in a flood plain(also tough to do in Buchanan County) and what is developing as the "new" town.

I remember when Whitewood and Garden consolidated and at the time, you would have thought we were on the verge of war. Turns out the kids adjusted just fine, and the throngs of petty adults eventually accepted the fact that Buchanan County's population continues to dwindle, coal isn't making a comeback, and while community schools are a sense of pride, they must concede to the fact that one newer and full school is better than 2 or 3 half full schools that bleed the county year in and year out. 

I think this ends up happening just based on numbers. I'm curious as to when this decision would have to be made, if Hurley combines with TV, then everyone on Hurley's schedule will be looking for an additional game, and that takes time to work out. 

1 hour ago, appyvol said:

I think this ends up happening just based on numbers. I'm curious as to when this decision would have to be made, if Hurley combines with TV, then everyone on Hurley's schedule will be looking for an additional game, and that takes time to work out. 

This solution rests in the expert services of a Double Diamond Amway Distributor.

Don't get me wrong I would like to see every school have a football team wheather it's 8 man or 11 man football.  Even though Council doesn't have a football team it probably save students alot of travel time getting to and from school and if you consolidate schools that's going to increase travel time to and from schools.  

This was posted on Facebook last night:

Update on the New School from Branch (the architect/build and design company) and the School Board meeting. First, the timeline! Branch expects to have final plans ready in December. In March /April of 2024, they expect to break ground on the road and site work. August of 2024 final design and full construction starts. Summer of 2026 School opens its doors! This update was mainly on some of the sports facilities. The football stadium will be between 5000 and 7500 capacity. Ridgeview is 5000. The favored option appeared to be 6500 capacity. The Gym has a few options. One will hold over 2000 for basketball and 1680 for a 4 mat wrestling tournament.  The second was a sunken gym that split basketball courts. A third option of 3 basketball courts with all bleachers out was also proposed and branch will give a projected cost. The field house had three options, the accepted option will have both a home and visitor locker room with showers.

Also some early renderings shown. Search for Tass Robertson on Facebook to see them. 

@TS Fan pretty sure Riverheads has looked forward to facing Grundy on the mat so them moving to Class 2 wont change that. Hell I think we did a quad with them RR and someone a couple of years ago in SWVA. Not many teams seek out competition like that so nobody in G'ville is looking to avoid one of the best wrestling programs in the history of VA wrestling. Tons of respect for them and what they have built but nobody is scared either.