New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

20 minutes ago, Centraljunkie said:

If what I am hearing is true. A current Head Coach is coming to Richlands if a Teaching job is available. If my information is true…Next years Richlands and Ridgeview game will be fun.

Indeed.

I think Davis focuses on the defense and outsources the offense.  I personally think DC is a tougher gig than OC as you can, to a degree, rely on athletes on offense more than D.  I'm a bit more bullish on the turn-around time...noticeable improvement next year (+3/4 wins) and playoff team in two years (winning 6-7 games). 

2 hours ago, Centraljunkie said:

A Current HC could be stepping down to come join Richlands Staff..I thought it was understood seeing how we are talking about Ronnie Davis  having the Job

I'm just an old guy who loves football and this board, so you may have to be more direct with me because sometimes my understanding just leaves the scene and my brain goes into limp mode. Those are what I call my sometimer moments, sometimes I'm all here and sometimes I'm somewhere else.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

I think Davis focuses on the defense and outsources the offense.  I personally think DC is a tougher gig than OC as you can, to a degree, rely on athletes on offense more than D.  I'm a bit more bullish on the turn-around time...noticeable improvement next year (+3/4 wins) and playoff team in two years (winning 6-7 games). 

I hope you're right about the turn-around, but that can only happen if Davis gets those talented hall walkers to come out for football, and that may in itself take a while, no one just wants to be a practice dummy or a bench warmer as has been the case for a couple of years.

1 hour ago, Centraljunkie said:

If I am the O’quinn kid I might look at Real-estate near Ernie Hicks. His Freshman year was his best year

A couple of causes for that.  He had a dedicated QB coach his Freshman year and they worked with him a lot.  If you looked under the hood at the numbers, he had a great screen package that turned easy throws into long gains.  Most importantly he had the following WR lineup: 6'1" (2x All State WR; playing college ball as WR); 6'3" (playing college ball as DB); 6'3" (recruited to play college ball as TE).  All three could run, jump and catch.  The deep ball was a HUGE part of their passing game.  There was a lot of yardage and TDs that were average throws/poor throws that ended up as great catches.  Those WRs graduated last year and the current coaching staff hasn't done a great job of adjusting the scheme to the new crop of WRs. 

So, he lost his QB coach and OC after his freshman year, after his sophomore year he lost his stud WR corps (one of the best this region has ever seen) and this past year he suffered an injury.  So, he doesn't have a screen game, poor scheme adaptation for this current WR corps (more slot types) and his deep ball threats are all gone.  

He won't leave, he is embedded in that school but it has cost his recruitment.   

3 hours ago, Centraljunkie said:

If I am the O’quinn kid I might look at Real-estate near Ernie Hicks. His Freshman year was his best year

Well that would be a conundrum if the Reece kid came from Lebanon, who’s the backup QB, lol? 

19 hours ago, Centraljunkie said:

A Current HC could be stepping down to come join Richlands Staff..I thought it was understood seeing how we are talking about Ronnie Davis  having the Job

I'm just an old guy who loves football and this board, so you may have to be more direct with me because sometimees my understanding just leaves the scene and my brain goes into limp mode. Those are what I call my sometimer moments, sometimes I'm all here and sometimes I'm somewhere else.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't favor the transfer deal, but at this stage Richlands needs all the talent they can pick up.  As student numbers show, Richlands should have a bevy of talent compared to other area schools, their just not playing.  IMO the coachinf staff needs to make it a point to visit all the classes especially the phys. ed at both the high school and middle school to find potintial players and let them know if they come out and have talent, they will get to play, no matter their life situation.  It's hard for a player to come to every practice, work their butt off to prove they are good enough, and then end up sitting on the bench because of the parents social status.  Many will say that hasn't happened, but many will man up and tell you that this has been the situation sense Mance left, and maybe some of it even occured during his last few years.  Play Talent not prestige! Play Talent not daddy ball!! Play Talent not Buddy Ball!!!

19 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I don't favor the transfer deal, but at this stage Richlands needs all the talent they can pick up.  As student numbers show, Richlands should have a bevy of talent compared to other area schools, their just not playing.  IMO the coachinf staff needs to make it a point to visit all the classes especially the phys. ed at both the high school and middle school to find potintial players and let them know if they come out and have talent, they will get to play, no matter their life situation.  It's hard for a player to come to every practice, work their butt off to prove they are good enough, and then end up sitting on the bench because of the parents social status.  Many will say that hasn't happened, but many will man up and tell you that this has been the situation sense Mance left, and maybe some of it even occured during his last few years.  Play Talent not prestige! Play Talent not daddy ball!! Play Talent not Buddy Ball!!!

The last part of your post is a violation is SWVA protocols.  Daddy ball and social status are what’s most important.  Lol

On 12/13/2023 at 9:03 AM, TnT+h said:

Jags52, you sound like you have coached before- maybe you should call them up and ask to be the DC- you know a lot about them

Haha I know a little bit of ball but I will pass on that job. Too much outside influence for my liking

Ok just from my experience, people that can differentiate between schemes and personal usually understand football and what is going on- wish those the best. Who is s going to help will be just as important 

1 hour ago, TnT+h said:

Ok just from my experience, people that can differentiate between schemes and personal usually understand football and what is going on- wish those the best. Who is s going to help will be just as important 

This is where Ronnie Davis has a leg up, in my opinion. I’m sure he has knowledge on his own, and it helps being a part of two of the strongest coaching staffs in the area throughout his career. 
I know we like to poke fun of Union’s backpack crew, but what we sometimes overlook are the volunteers doing the other tasks (water, food, IT, trainers, equipment, etc.) so that the main staff can concentrate on coaching and teaching football.

4 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

This is where Ronnie Davis has a leg up, in my opinion. I’m sure he has knowledge on his own, and it helps being a part of two of the strongest coaching staffs in the area throughout his career. 
I know we like to poke fun of Union’s backpack crew, but what we sometimes overlook are the volunteers doing the other tasks (water, food, IT, trainers, equipment, etc.) so that the main staff can concentrate on coaching and teaching football.

We make fun of it ourselves, but like the tasks you mentioned, somebody has to do it. There is no shortage of volunteers in Appy/BSG to help out with the football program. THAT is a blessing!

I'm sticking with the theory of the backpack's containing a platinum playstation controller to play on that tv on the sidelines. lol  It takes a village, and they are lucky to have as much help for all the behind the scenes from August through the season's end on a yearly basis.  A lot of those individuals help in other sports throughout the year as well in some fashion.  

32 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Blue Crew, reduced in size since Covid but still a force. All of the field stuff is taken care of.

Turner also has several assistants who have been around awhile that take on a lot of duties so he doesn't have to. He's got quite the support system behind him and it shows on the field. 

The community support is also pretty impressive. 

2 hours ago, TnT+h said:

I agree with you. If you have hire a head coach that know the game inside and out but you dont have people around them that can help your program is dead in the water. The best head coaches in my opinion are not only able to coach kids but are able to coach their coaches. If you have 5 or 6 assistant coaches that are good people and can buy into what the head coach is teaching then you have a good staff. You dont need a high profile staff even though that would help. You needs guys that are willing to learn and will buy in to one philosophy.  The great coaches are able to get the best out of their staff so their staff can get the best out of the their kids. 

Also having volunteers that will work for backpacks or other sway is helpful so the guys in charge of coaching the kids dont have to worry about laundry, water, filming, med kits, travel bags, extra equipment, ect is really nice too

58 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I agree with you. If you have hire a head coach that know the game inside and out but you dont have people around them that can help your program is dead in the water. The best head coaches in my opinion are not only able to coach kids but are able to coach their coaches. If you have 5 or 6 assistant coaches that are good people and can buy into what the head coach is teaching then you have a good staff. You dont need a high profile staff even though that would help. You needs guys that are willing to learn and will buy in to one philosophy.  The great coaches are able to get the best out of their staff so their staff can get the best out of the their kids. 

Also having volunteers that will work for backpacks or other sway is helpful so the guys in charge of coaching the kids dont have to worry about laundry, water, filming, med kits, travel bags, extra equipment, ect is really nice too

That has been part of the problem. assistant coaches not buying into the HC experience and trying to go their own way, as if to say, "I'll show everyone I am better than the HC."  Doesn't work that way.  Tarter knows football, but some of those around him thought they knew more, so it was a mess. Just my opinion, with a little bit of insider information.

2 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

That has been part of the problem. assistant coaches not buying into the HC experience and trying to go their own way, as if to say, "I'll show everyone I am better than the HC."  Doesn't work that way.  Tarter knows football, but some of those around him thought they knew more, so it was a mess. Just my opinion, with a little bit of insider information.

That is one of the problems you run into when you have an "experienced" staff or a staff that has guys that want to move up. Too many chiefs not enough Indians