Gate City vs Graham

Gridiron60

Gate City didn’t here by being a bad team. They’ve improved over the past couple years. Graham’s coaches I’m sure will have them focused on Gate City & not looking ahead. I think the key for Graham is keep doing what they’ve been doing. They seem playoff ready even with a ton of guys out. Younger guys have really been stepping it up. It’s like they’ve shifted gears into a new level compared to earlier in the season. I look for GC to throw everything at the GMen in the playbook and they’ll come to play hard. I hope when the clock hits 00:00, GMen are ahead! 

Friday @7pm

I got the Gmen 42-13. Calpreps favors Graham 35-7. Opponents may have underestimated how good/how different/how much of a game changer Clements is. He's completely elevated the Graham offense and team with his healthy presence. Defenses have real dilemmas. 

Houseright is special at GC. He completely maximizes their talent to its potential and I think this is his 3rd year now? He's already completely flipped the script at GC. I know....they aren't elite/usual old Gate City good, but GC had become one of the worst Class 2 programs in the state. They are now pulling off 7 and 3s and that's a giant turnaround in my book. GC now has great talent in the pipeline. Can they take that next step in 2024 or 25 and be a legit region or state title contender? Time will tell, but GC is trending up and fairly fast. But, they are about to hit a bump next weekend. Graham is too much in all phases. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I got the Gmen 42-13. Calpreps favors Graham 35-7. Opponents may have underestimated how good/how different/how much of a game changer Clements is. He's completely elevated the Graham offense and team with his healthy presence. Defenses have real dilemmas. 

Houseright is special at GC. He completely maximizes their talent to its potential and I think this is his 3rd year now? He's already completely flipped the script at GC. I know....they aren't elite/usual old Gate City good, but GC had become one of the worst Class 2 programs in the state. They are now pulling off 7 and 3s and that's a giant turnaround in my book. GC now has great talent in the pipeline. Can they take that next step in 2024 or 25 and be a legit region or state title contender? Time will tell, but GC is trending up and fairly fast. But, they are about to hit a bump next weekend. Graham is too much in all phases. 

Glad gate city is improving but yeah they’re bout to get curb stomped 

These two teams played on Saturday last year in regional semis. Someone said, Turner is playing on Saturdays to get his kids used to it. Good idea, really!l  Does visiting team get to pick? I read that somewhere. Anyone know why Gate City/Graham would be Friday night instead of Saturday? I would think Gate City would rather play Saturday than travel on Friday after school. 

31 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

These two teams played on Saturday last year in regional semis. Someone said, Turner is playing on Saturdays to get his kids used to it. Good idea, really!l  Does visiting team get to pick? I read that somewhere. Anyone know why Gate City/Graham would be Friday night instead of Saturday? I would think Gate City would rather play Saturday than travel on Friday after school. 

I was told Turner was playing Saturday to get the kids in a routine.  Someone posted on here before that the visiting team only got a say if it was a certain distance to travel 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

42-7 type of game. 

I agree.

Clements will get 150 before halftime and will be pulled.  GC doesn't have the speed to match Graham's speed.  Over by halftime.

Can't key on Clements either, Edwards & Co. will make you pay.  Having a healthy Clements makes Graham much more dangerous 

34 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.

Clements will get 150 before halftime and will be pulled.  GC doesn't have the speed to match Graham's speed.  Over by halftime.

Can't key on Clements either, Edwards & Co. will make you pay.  Having a healthy Clements makes Graham much more dangerous 

Edwards deserves some accolades for the season thus far; No knock on Clements , he obviously brings Graham’s offense to a different level and makes the GMen much harder to beat but he’s missed 1/2 the season. Edwards on both sides of the ball has been a force to reckon with in my opinion every game. He and the Floyd kid are super fun to watch as is Clements. 

The Roberts kid at QB has improved a great deal compared to the beginning of the season. 

The Fix kid is going to be a fun one to watch develop too! 

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

42-7 type of game. 

The long road out of football purgatory has many twists and turns and this game will be a solid win by Graham, but Gate City is clawing back one inch at a time and in a game like this they need yards instead of inches and yards will be hard to come by for the Devils. Graham will win by a lot! 

The speed that Graham has getting to the ball on defense seems to have improved as the season has progressed.  They just seem to be swarming on every play lately.    Their achilles has been the offensive line all season, I think, but I suppose you can expect that with youth.  The eye test early on made me think they would manhandle opposing lines, but I didn't factor in that youth.  They have improved, but as I have mentioned before, not sure it's enough, especially as the playoffs go on.  Teams with older, more experienced kids on the line have an advantage.  Graham can match athletes with anybody around and will most likely have the best athlete on the field (maybe 2 or 3) against anybody they play.  However, ball games are won on the Line of scrimmage.  We'll see soon enough if Graham's line is up to the task.

20 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The speed that Graham has getting to the ball on defense seems to have improved as the season has progressed.  They just seem to be swarming on every play lately.    Their achilles has been the offensive line all season, I think, but I suppose you can expect that with youth.  The eye test early on made me think they would manhandle opposing lines, but I didn't factor in that youth.  They have improved, but as I have mentioned before, not sure it's enough, especially as the playoffs go on.  Teams with older, more experienced kids on the line have an advantage.  Graham can match athletes with anybody around and will most likely have the best athlete on the field (maybe 2 or 3) against anybody they play.  However, ball games are won on the Line of scrimmage.  We'll see soon enough if Graham's line is up to the task.

If I’m not mistaken, GMen only have two Seniors starting on offense & defense or at least against Lee that seemed the case. More younger ones have had to step up due to injuries and other circumstances. There were probably at least eight injured against Lee on the sidelines. Not sure how many starters are out but I’d guess at least 1/2 dozen. They have a lot of youth out there especially on the O-Line. The one area I’m most pleased with is special teams. They’ve really improved this season compared to past seasons. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

If I’m not mistaken, GMen only have two Seniors starting on offense & defense or at least against Lee that seemed the case. More younger ones have had to step up due to injuries and other circumstances. There were probably at least eight injured against Lee on the sidelines. Not sure how many starters are out but I’d guess at least 1/2 dozen. They have a lot of youth out there especially on the O-Line. The one area I’m most pleased with is special teams. They’ve really improved this season compared to past seasons. 

True, special teams have looked very good.  I would just let Nash kick it deep, into the endzone or have it fielded deep in the opponents territory.  Graham has the special teams players to make plays, a few mistakes here and there, but they have been consistent in that area.  I really like to watch the freshman Campbel Fix on those special teams and Gage Palmer on defense.  Those guys get after it, for freshmen.  The rest of the team needs to take notes on the energy that Fix brings to the game and they need to watch the great technique that Palmer uses when he tackles.

10 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

True, special teams have looked very good.  I would just let Nash kick it deep, into the endzone or have it fielded deep in the opponents territory.  Graham has the special teams players to make plays, a few mistakes here and there, but they have been consistent in that area.  I really like to watch the freshman Campbel Fix on those special teams and Gage Palmer on defense.  Those guys get after it, for freshmen.  The rest of the team needs to take notes on the energy that Fix brings to the game and they need to watch the great technique that Palmer uses when he tackles.

I agree, Fix kid especially is getting after it. He’s exciting to watch. I’ll admit after Pulaski game when Palmer had to start in absence of Hass, I was concerned. He is getting better each time he’s out there. Really not giving receivers much cushion at all.  Another one stepping up to a different level since about mid-season is Omari Hill. He’s just shifted into another gear lately. Very impressive! A lot of them on defense are really getting after it though. 

39 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I agree, Fix kid especially is getting after it. He’s exciting to watch. I’ll admit after Pulaski game when Palmer had to start in absence of Hass, I was concerned. He is getting better each time he’s out there. Really not giving receivers much cushion at all.  Another one stepping up to a different level since about mid-season is Omari Hill. He’s just shifted into another gear lately. Very impressive! A lot of them on defense are really getting after it though. 

Best part about it is majority of our defense is coming back next year 😈

4 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Don’t get too excited tho, Union returns almost everyone too lol

That is exciting though! We’re going to see some great football next year in 2D! Hopefully all the teams will be competitive & it will be a dogfight in the SWD & M7, then region! The better we all are, well, the better we all are! 

Team speed is no doubt in favor of the G-men but if GC can contain the run game then they've got as good a chance as any  to be in the game late.  I think G-men are a little better up front than GC and could be the real difference in the game especially defensively.  

I believe G-men pull away late 28-7

Gate City has a chance if they get in their 2 TE set and milk the clock. I know they got an athletic QB and they like to throw it around but if they start the game with a few short drives this one could get ugly.

I don't see GC matching up well with Graham anywhere unless something has changed since the Union.

Misdirection and/or heavy sets might work for a while, but I don't see GC being able to keep it up consistently. Maybe along with some quick passes, they could some have success, but I still see this being all Graham.

39 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Over/Under 10 penalties, 100 penalty yards for the G-men. Any takers. 

Under! I will take both teams at 175 though! Gonna be a rainy night in Bluefield looks like!