Game atmosphere today....

JDHoss

As some of you know, I live in south Florida and take in a ton of games (28 this season) due to games on Thursdays and Fridays because of shared stadiums and referee shortages. This year, I saw 32 different teams, and while all but 5 of those teams would solidly thump or mercy rule Graham and Union, there are NONE of those teams who play with the passion those kids played with today, and there is NO place down there that is in the same universe in terms of game atmosphere as what I saw today. I wish I had a video of it to show those people. 

19 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

As some of you know, I live in south Florida and take in a ton of games (28 this season) due to games on Thursdays and Fridays because of shared stadiums and referee shortages. This year, I saw 32 different teams, and while all but 5 of those teams would solidly thump or mercy rule Graham and Union, there are NONE of these teams who played with the passion those kids played with today, and there is NO place down there that is in the same universe in terms of game atmosphere as what I saw today. I wish I had a video of it to show those people. 

There's no place like Bullitt Park! I like ragging the Union folks about the train horn but it's all in fun. I was rather impressed by Graham contingency. We're usually a quiet bunch but I think Bullitt Park atmosphere inspired the GMen faithful to get a little bit rowdy! I agree, both teams played with passion & have their all! 

9 hours ago, JDHoss said:

As some of you know, I live in south Florida and take in a ton of games (28 this season) due to games on Thursdays and Fridays because of shared stadiums and referee shortages. This year, I saw 32 different teams, and while all but 5 of those teams would solidly thump or mercy rule Graham and Union, there are NONE of those teams who play with the passion those kids played with today, and there is NO place down there that is in the same universe in terms of game atmosphere as what I saw today. I wish I had a video of it to show those people. 

Graham vs Union yesterday was hands down one of the best football games I’ve been to. The momentum swings and roller coaster of emotions all game long was unbelievable. 

55 minutes ago, RichRich said:

They should play in Appy.  Bullit park isn't producing champions anymore.  

Appalachia hasn’t produced a champion in any manner since 1997. 

Union won a 2D title on the road in 2021 and at home in 2017. Those aren’t championships? 

would be a nice tribute to the to the other half of the contributing community, but what do you do about seating?  no way you sit together (soccer).  considering the old man in yellow flying the 2-finger salute for whatever reason yesterday, it would/could be just as bad if not worse.   bullitt park is a special place, but considering the history, it's not been as special to Union as it was to PV or even App for that matter.  I don't think Union's issue of getting out of the region will be solved by switching venues.  That gap is wider than 4 miles between stadiums,  and shows no sign of slowing down until WV expands to encompass Graham.  They're consistent as any program ever was.  Their play is nearing what PV and App did in the 90's like it or not.  If they can pull it off again this season, then it's dang close.

Having been to 2 games and a bluegrass event there this year.  Bullet park is where Union should be, but the next major investment will probably be in turf.  I love the grass field but also know the expenses may force their hand sooner than later.  

11 hours ago, appyvol said:

I'm from Appy, and I think they should play a game at Riggs every year.

But the playoff atmosphere at the park is top notch. 

Agree and it doesn’t have to be once a year but at least once every 3 years so the Appalachia kids can play 1 game in their home town.  Do it vs a team like twin springs who won’t have 2k fans Those 2 battled quite a bit in the 80s and 90s

On 11/26/2023 at 2:02 PM, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

would be a nice tribute to the to the other half of the contributing community, but what do you do about seating?  no way you sit together (soccer).  considering the old man in yellow flying the 2-finger salute for whatever reason yesterday, it would/could be just as bad if not worse.   bullitt park is a special place, but considering the history, it's not been as special to Union as it was to PV or even App for that matter.  I don't think Union's issue of getting out of the region will be solved by switching venues.  That gap is wider than 4 miles between stadiums,  and shows no sign of slowing down until WV expands to encompass Graham.  They're consistent as any program ever was.  Their play is nearing what PV and App did in the 90's like it or not.  If they can pull it off again this season, then it's dang close.

Did they get rid of the visitors bleachers cause they were there 3 years ago when my niece played soccer.  

On 11/26/2023 at 12:12 PM, RichRich said:

They should play in Appy.  Bullit park isn't producing champions anymore.  

That would be a logistical nightmare! No parking, no seating, restrooms, concessions, no grass hardly. if you want to play at Riggs sponsor a jamboree there during the preseason and call it even!

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

That would be a logistical nightmare! No parking, no seating, restrooms, concessions, no grass hardly. if you want to play at Riggs sponsor a jamboree there during the preseason and call it even!

The jamboree idea is a good one. All the impediments you mentioned most likely wouldn't hinder a jamboree. Those are never packed out. With the improvements to the Park, I don't see a Riggs varsity game taking place again. I think that ship has sailed.

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

The jamboree idea is a good one. All the impediments you mentioned most likely wouldn't hinder a jamboree. Those are never packed out. With the improvements to the Park, I don't see a Riggs varsity game taking place again. I think that ship has sailed.

If you want to honor Powell Valley and Appalachia do some throw back uniforms, the kids and especially the parents and grandparents would love it and so would the uniform supplier. 

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

If you want to honor Powell Valley and Appalachia do some throw back uniforms, the kids and especially the parents and grandparents would love it and so would the uniform supplier. 

Now that’s a dope idea. As much as I’d always have an excuse to skip the Appalachia throwback night, the sky blue and red night would be awesome. The Union colors are closer to Appalachia anyway, the blue is way darker. Orange is pretty neutral compared to gold or red but the blue shade def closer to that dingy blue Appalachia had lol.

But you would have to leave out certain numbers, all the numbers retired from Appalachia and the numbers retired from PV. 

6 hours ago, SXSW said:

The field has grass now since they don’t practice there anymore 

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No more rocks and busted bottles and the strips they use in police chases? Well hell there goes the home field advantage. 

We can fix that problem with one keg party