All State Released

Gridiron60

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Agree with the above except leaving off a Div 1 kid (one of only a few in Class 2) in Marion's Coe. There's no way there are 4 better defensive ends in Virginia's Class 2 than Coe.  

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Agree with the above except leaving off a Div 1 kid (one of only a few in Class 2) in Marion's Coe. There's no way there are 4 better defensive ends in Virginia's Class 2 than Coe.  

Did he make 1st team All-Region? I can’t recall without looking it up. If he didn’t , then he couldn’t be considered for All-State. I agree, he should have gotten recognition. 

Edit: He was 1st Team Defense for All-Region 

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It’s because they mainly pick players off the teams who go deep in playoffs with a few exceptions 

28 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Duke nailed it.   Its really hard to to make those teams without being on a team capable of making a deep playoff run.

I understand that, or the fact that mostly the teams with deeper playoff runs get picked.  I think this should also probably be the case 95% of the time, but this is that 5% where you have kid who is a D1 Commit.  When the talent is so obvious, that should trump a deep playoff run in these 1 to 5% of cases.  Coe is committed to a team that was ranked in the top 25 in the country for a part of the season.  If the All State Team only selects All Region kids, then the Region also made a mistake if Coe wasnt first team Defensive End.  I watched Graham, Union, Tazewell, Ridgeview, Gate City.  They are all awesome teams, but none of them has a Defensive End as good as Coe.  I do understand the WHY....related to why he didn't make All State because no deep playoff run/Marion being a weaker team, but I just wish they would occasionally make an exception for the WHY when you have a D1 kid. Just my opinion though.  I'm sure others may have a different take.

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I understand that, or the fact that mostly the teams with deeper playoff runs get picked.  I think this should also probably be the case 95% of the time, but this is that 5% where you have kid who is a D1 Commit.  When the talent is so obvious, that should trump a deep playoff run in these 1 to 5% of cases.  Coe is committed to a team that was ranked in the top 25 in the country for a part of the season.  If the All State Team only selects All Region kids, then the Region also made a mistake if Coe wasnt first team Defensive End.  I watched Graham, Union, Tazewell, Ridgeview, Gate City.  They are all awesome teams, but none of them has a Defensive End as good as Coe.  I do understand the WHY....related to why he didn't make All State because no deep playoff run/Marion being a weaker team, but I just wish they would occasionally make an exception for the WHY when you have a D1 kid. Just my opinion though.  I'm sure others may have a different take.

Coaches from the top 2 teams in the regions are the ones who vote on the all state team. Do you think that Palmer or Turner are going to leave one of their own kids off to get a kid from Marion on there? 

1 minute ago, EH31 said:

Coaches from the top 2 teams in the regions are the ones who vote on the all state team. Do you think that Palmer or Turner are going to leave one of their own kids off to get a kid from Marion on there? 

Good point. My honest answer is.....Nope.  Just watching that kid play, man what a freakin beast.  The way that kid exploded off the ball with not just speed, but god awful upper body and leg strength was crazy impressive (in my opinion) for a Class 2 Defensive End.  

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Good point. My honest answer is.....Nope.  Just watching that kid play, man what a freakin beast.  The way that kid exploded off the ball with not just speed, but god awful upper body and leg strength was crazy impressive (in my opinion) for a Class 2 Defensive End.  

Awards should go to the best talent like you said but I guess it’s like professional sports where it’s a popularity test 

true, if he goes the transfer portal and plays at chilhowie, he dominates d1 and possibly helps them to a playoff spot and getting maybe one extra game.  He was solid and probably deserving of more recognition.  I didn't get to watch many of their games to see what he did against Graham and Tazewell but what were their other games where he faced some good opponents and held his own?  

24 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

true, if he goes the transfer portal and plays at chilhowie, he dominates d1 and possibly helps them to a playoff spot and getting maybe one extra game.  He was solid and probably deserving of more recognition.  I didn't get to watch many of their games to see what he did against Graham and Tazewell but what were their other games where he faced some good opponents and held his own?  

He may get all state but he doesn’t get an offer from Air Force. Ginn helped him a lot with his recruiting. The main reason he didn’t have better stats is because teams did run at him. That includes Tazewell and Graham and when they did it didn’t go well

On 12/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I agree Coe deserved it. Its a flawed system. 

It is overly influenced by a handful of teams and it is waaaay too biased toward winning teams.  There was a kid on one of the VHSL teams that was completely embarrassed in a playoff game this year but his team went far in the playoffs. 

In the past I've seen really good defensive players get snubbed because they didn't have the stats due to OC's avoiding them.  Happens every year.   I'd love to see how the OCs and DCs vote....take the "Rah, rah" HC out of the equation.  The coordinators know which kids scare them and drive gameplans. 

^^^^^happens way too much. Certain kids receive a whole lot of hype but when you go back and watch the film it speaks for itself. Film doesn't lie. When you can't take on a half way decent kid 1v1 much less get obliterated and you are still seen as the second coming of Reggie White because of who you are its a problem. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

It is overly influenced by a handful of teams and it is waaaay too biased toward winning teams.  There was a kid on one of the VHSL teams that was completely embarrassed in a playoff game this year but his team went far in the playoffs. 

In the past I've seen really good defensive players get snubbed because they didn't have the stats due to OC's avoiding them.  Happens every year.   I'd love to see how the OCs and DCs vote....take the "Rah, rah" HC out of the equation.  The coordinators know which kids scare them and drive gameplans. 

I have a feeling I know who you’re talking about but if I’m correct, that one game was really the only terrible game the kid played. I’m not sure if the player deserved all state but I think all region for sure. 

The main reason the kids that win get on the all region and state teams are because only the teams that make it that far get to go to those meeting. All district has all the coaches there. All region only have the coaches of the teams that made the playoffs then when you get to all state only the region champion and runner up get to vote on it. So of course Union and Graham had the most guys on that team because both head coaches were in the room actually fighting for those kids to get on the team. I player on a team that didn’t make it that far better have made a damn good impression against the teams that get to be there. But at the same time if you had every coach attending that had a 1st team all region kids that meeting would take 8 hours

I can’t give many concrete examples, but I do know that potential is more important than production when it comes to recruiting. I know, especially with linemen, the biggest kids get looks because you can’t teach size. I know several years I have witnessed the best lineman on the teams I have watched and/or played with we’re not the biggest nor got the attention. I also remember a particular year on the Blues when a particular player was awarded postseason accolades for defensive play based upon size and speed, even though he was only used sparingly, missing games, and was well behind one of his teammates in tackles. Just my two cents, not discounting the other examples.

34 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I also remember a particular year on the Blues when a particular player was awarded postseason accolades for defensive play based upon size and speed, even though he was only used sparingly, missing games, and was well behind one of his teammates in tackles. Just my two cents, not discounting the other examples.

Politics? Social status? 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Politics? Social status? 

Just measurables such as size and speed. I believe the accolades on offense was earned. Defense was a different story. The individual did indeed have a good college career compared to his peers, but the DPOY in my opinion should have gone to the more consistent teammate. I don’t have access to the statistics, so I couldn’t verify numbers for comparison, but certainly games played and snaps on defense.