WVSSAC goes to 4 classifications in 5 additional sports.

Real Sasquatch

IN addition to basketball, football, cheer, softball, volleyball, baseball and volleyball will all have 4 classifications.  Below is a link to the final competition model (classifications).

(copy and paste into your browser)

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://wvmetronews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Final-Copy-of-WVSSAC-Competition-Models-2023-Version-3.pdf

South Carolina just enacted a rule for the upcoming season, schools are free to recruit and students can transfer out-of-season without penalty. However, any school receiving a student living outside the district boundaries must count that 1 student as 3 students for ADM purposes, whether that student plays a sport or not.

https://www.postandcourier.com/aikenstandard/sports/localsports/s-c-high-school-league-realignment-picture-taking-shape/article_8d688c58-9a9f-11ee-9505-3b38bde4e661.html

If VHSL were to adopt this unique system, LCA would most likely be Class 6. 

2 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

How watered down do you want it? 

I guess "State Champions" sounds better than "We were best out of 30 teams"

4 is good. Nothing more. There happy? 

49 minutes ago, sixcat said:

It looks like 25 schools in AAAA, 30 schools in AAA, 29 schools in AA and 41 schools in A.

https://wvmetronews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Final-Copy-of-WVSSAC-Competition-Models-2023-Version-3.pdf

Seems quite watered down to me.

A bit compared to VA which probably has 50+ schools in each class. 

6 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

A bit compared to VA which probably has 50+ schools in each class. 

Virginia is watered down in my opinion. We should have at most, 5 classifications. Virginia has 317 schools playing football versus 125 in West Virginia. With only 125 schools, 4 classifications seems quite odd to me but then again, so does 6 classification with 317 schools so, what do I know?

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Virginia is watered down in my opinion. We should have at most, 5 classifications. Virginia has 317 schools playing football versus 125 in West Virginia. With only 125 schools, 4 classifications seems quite odd to me but then again, so does 6 classification with 317 schools so, what do I know?

I think what we both know it all comes down to one thing, the almighty dollar! It’s the same reason the VA football playoff system is watered down, $$$$! 

Imo VHSL should cut to 5 classes(maybe 4) and expand the playoff participants for the top 2 classes. There are a ton of schools in that enrollment range that are basically the same size, no need for different classes between schools with 1,200 students and 1,800 for example, and set a hard # for 1A.  

Competition would be better and the VHSL wouldn't lose any $

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I think the thing that waters it down is allowing so many teams in the playoffs.  I'm ok with 6 classificaitons, 5 may be better, but having so many teams in the playoffs waters it down imo.

3 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think the thing that waters it down is allowing so many teams in the playoffs.  I'm ok with 6 classificaitons, 5 may be better, but having so many teams in the playoffs waters it down imo.

I think the playoff situation is certainly a contributing factor but it's more than that.

Region 6A only has 11 schools while Region 6B has 19. Region 5B only has 10 schools. Class 5 only has 48 schools while Class 6 has 60. VHSL breaks down regions within Class 5 and Class 6 to pacify those schools that balk at having to travel 20 miles for a regional contest. It has nothing to do with balance and everything to do with those large schools expecting everyone to cater to them. If VHSL had a backbone and made a 5 Class system, broken down with even distribution of Regions, a lot of ths knucklehead stuff that takes place within the playoff format would solve itself. Schools like Freedom-Woodbridge would complain about having to travel 40 miles to Briar Woods for a regional battle but they will get over it. Now factor in Freedom-Woodbridge is 6B with 1,600 students and Briar Woods is 5D with 1,400 students, it makes even less sense. 

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

I think the playoff situation is certainly a contributing factor but it's more than that.

Region 6A only has 11 schools while Region 6B has 19. Region 5B only has 10 schools. Class 5 only has 48 schools while Class 6 has 60. VHSL breaks down regions within Class 5 and Class 6 to pacify those schools that balk at having to travel 20 miles for a regional contest. It has nothing to do with balance and everything to do with those large schools expecting everyone to cater to them. If VHSL had a backbone and made a 5 Class system, broken down with even distribution of Regions, a lot of ths knucklehead stuff that takes place within the playoff format would solve itself. Schools like Freedom-Woodbridge would complain about having to travel 40 miles to Briar Woods for a regional battle but they will get over it. Now factor in Freedom-Woodbridge is 6B with 1,600 students and Briar Woods is 5D with 1,400 students, it makes even less sense. 

I thought it was established here years ago that sense and the VH$L shouldn’t be in the same sentence! Lol

Going to 4 classes in WV is not about the number of schools. It’s about the difference in enrollment especially when it comes to rural and urban areas. Take AAA for instance. It’s not fair for a school to go against another that has 1000 or more kids than they do. They’re trying to make the enrollments closer. The new classifications are far from perfect but hopefully they’ll get there eventually.