Ready for Football

Gridiron60

On 3/8/2024 at 7:33 PM, cityofRaven said:

Soccer may the worst waste of resources on the planet.

I had no regard at all for soccer. And then I went and watched a match one evening because nothing else was going on. I had a death grip on the seat by the end of the match and was astonished with the stamina of the players. It's just different. Not my favorite by any means, but still fun. 

45 minutes ago, Rev833 said:

I had no regard at all for soccer. And then I went and watched a match one evening because nothing else was going on. I had a death grip on the seat by the end of the match and was astonished with the stamina of the players. It's just different. Not my favorite by any means, but still fun. 

Soccer is a sport you have to experience in person to really appreciate it. 

I’d encourage anyone to make the trip to Charlotte to watch a MLS match. Tickets are affordable and the atmosphere is worth the trip alone.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

I’d encourage anyone to make the trip to Charlotte to watch a MLS match. Tickets are affordable and the atmosphere is worth the trip alone.

All of this. 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

If you enjoy it great...but I wouldn't watch if if was in my back yard and no way in hell am i going to Charlotte unless I HAVE to go

Just watch hockey, which, quite honestly, is a better sport than most other options.  Just as physical as football, hand-eye coordination of baseball and soccer.  Much faster pace.  Waaaaayyyy less arrogance and entitled attitudes. 

My family has a lot of midwestern roots.  I played on a street hockey league in Texas for a couple of years while I was in the Army stationed at Fort Hood......a whole new level of being in shape....and I was a plodding defensemen with average change of direction for that league.  Those forwards are world class athletes.  

I remember the other defensemen I played with was a tanker and had a glass eye.  He would smack dudes in the boards and was always checking with me to make sure his eye didn't come out.  Lol.  Good times!

I would legitimately rather go watch grass grow in Antartica than watch a hockey game lol. I've tried to watch in the past. I've been to a handfull of Canes games. I just can't get into it. It's clearly a me thing since so many of my friends and people I've met love it. 

I can't watch soccer at all....on TV or live whether grade school, high school, or pro. I can't stand it. But every 4 years, the World Cup comes around and I hear voices and have delusions of grandeur and try to watch every single match and I absolutely love it. Pure schizophrenia and I can't put my finger on it, but that's how it is.  After the World Cup, thinking I'm now into soccer, I tune in every 4 years to a Pro Soccer game soon after the World Cup is watched and I watch for 2 minutes, then turn the channel until the next 4 years come around for the World Cup. Am I a soccer fan? I have no idea how to answer it.

On 3/11/2024 at 11:02 AM, EH31 said:

Hockey is the same agenda... you must go to a game in person.... it is a LOT better than watching on TV.  Baseball is the same... watching a MLB or minor league game in person is better than TV.

20 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Just watch hockey, which, quite honestly, is a better sport than most other options.  Just as physical as football, hand-eye coordination of baseball and soccer.  Much faster pace.  Waaaaayyyy less arrogance and entitled attitudes. 

My family has a lot of midwestern roots.  I played on a street hockey league in Texas for a couple of years while I was in the Army stationed at Fort Hood......a whole new level of being in shape....and I was a plodding defensemen with average change of direction for that league.  Those forwards are world class athletes.  

I remember the other defensemen I played with was a tanker and had a glass eye.  He would smack dudes in the boards and was always checking with me to make sure his eye didn't come out.  Lol.  Good times!

I've been a hockey fan since 1994.  I decided when I started watching, I would pull for the newest team.  So, that's why I am a San Jose Sharks fan.  I didn't get to catch a Sharks game live this year on one of their rare trips to the East Coast, unfortunately.

I wasn't aware there were sports besides football. Mind blown! 🤯 I will have to look into those! 😁

Thinking about football memories. I don't know if there's a worse one than Union/Appo 2017. That one still hurts. There's too many ecstatic ones to list, but as far as unbelievable goes...2013 Richlands/Union, 2016 Dan River/Union, 1989 "The Catch" Lunenburg/PV.

As for weird memories, I'll never forget playing Clintwood my JV year and my pants being black from a nasty, smelly, funky water seeping out of the ground near the endzone. We thought we were playing in someone's cesspool.🤮