Offseason changes

sixcat

On 5/5/2024 at 6:46 PM, Weatherman said:

So what schools in Southwest Virginia give extra money to coaches who win?

Grayson County pays Stephen James an administrator salary of roughly $85,000 (my bad-it's apparently much higher now-see for yourself by clicking the link) to coach football while the county-wide teacher salaries are among the absolute lowest in the state. 

https://govsalaries.com/james-stephen-boyd-167626032

Does that count?

This last couple  of  years teams the Super touted as being the best to come thru GC.  Very sub par to clueless on offense.   As far as the money goes  wasnt one of the reasons GC petitoned to play down was financial hardship?  Paying your coach 90 plus and installing a  turf field?   Most A/AA  schools wish they had type of harship?

10 hours ago, sixcat said:

Grayson County pays Stephen James an administrator salary of roughly $85,000 (my bad-it's apparently much higher now-see for yourself by clicking the link) to coach football while the county-wide teacher salaries are among the absolute lowest in the state. 

https://govsalaries.com/james-stephen-boyd-167626032

Does that count?

Surely, he serves in some sort of administrative role, like A.D. or Vice Principal.

49 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Surely, he serves in some sort of administrative role, like A.D. or Vice Principal.

William Anders is AD at Grayson. Temple Musser and Jerrad Blevins are the high school principal and assistant principal. I know the principals at the middle school and two elementary schools personally. He’s not one of them. 

According to the school website, James has no other role outside of football and weight lifting. Check it out for yourself. 

https://gchs.grayson.k12.va.us/en-US/staff

1 hour ago, Hokie Bound said:

Its really sad if that is just for teaching and coaching. Got to be more to it than that hopefully. Those are Nick Saban type numbers. 

Does teaching a weight lifting class actually qualify as teaching? I'm sure other qualified teachers in the school system making half his salary would like a word. 

Stop it, all teachers are valuable! But most are gone at 330 and he and his coaches are there until 7 three nights a week and 12 or 1 am the other two. While also playing daddy, guidance counselor, bus driver, cook , custodian , field manager and many other duties - coaches earn there money!

1 hour ago, TnT+h said:

most are gone at 330

Hardly any are gone by 3:30. Parent/teacher conferences, bus duty, USDA after school food programs for underprivileged kids, after school make-up testing, SOL BS, etc. etc. etc. 

I don't think anybody is disparaging teachers. Teachers in Grayson County are making half the salary of the football coach and he has no responsibilities outside of football. Teachers have dozens of responsibilities on top of the ones in the classroom. You know, like, parent, guidance counselor, bus driver, cook, playground manager, and many other duties. Teachers deserve more money!  If Grayson County can afford to pay the football coach $93k, they can afford to raise teacher pay so not to be among the lowest in the state. 

I come from a family of teachers so yes all teachers deserve more for sure! But in Virginia it is paid by county, so unless you are one of the Tofu eating faires that make the decisions on money ..... shut up or move to another county!

When does the James hire at GC start looking like a bad one? They win more than they did previously, but they’re not paying him that much to go 8-2 and go out in the second round. I think if they were going to win it all, last year was the year. This year’s team likely won’t be as good as last year’s, and as it turned out, last year’s team wasn’t great.

Do they win more than they did previously? They were playing in Class 2 under the previous coaching staff. Drop any D2 team down to Class 1. How much more successful would they be? A team like Tazewell would contend for a state championship. 

In my opinion, GC is a mediocre Class 2 program competing in Class 1. But that's just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Do they win more than they did previously? They were playing in Class 2 under the previous coaching staff. In my opinion, they are a mediocre Class 2 program competing in Class 1. But that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I guess they’re more consistent. There were some two and three win seasons under the last staff, and now they have back to back 8-0 starts, but little to no postseason success. I know that the opinions of the people in GC that are very important are still thrilled to have him, but as an outsider, I think it hasn’t gone that great for them, and I don’t think it’s getting better soon. How much longer do you think he has to turn things around in the playoffs?

38 minutes ago, MMcMahon26 said:

Yeah, I guess they’re more consistent. There were some two and three win seasons under the last staff, and now they have back to back 8-0 starts, but little to no postseason success. I know that the opinions of the people in GC that are very important are still thrilled to have him, but as an outsider, I think it hasn’t gone that great for them, and I don’t think it’s getting better soon. How much longer do you think he has to turn things around in the playoffs?

I would counter "more consistent" with "it's easier to be consistent playing Class 1 competition as a Class 2 sized school" but that's neither here nor there. Full disclosure, I graduated from Grayson in the 90's. Most of my family members did as well, including a current D1 athlete competing in the ACC.

I have no insight into James' relationship with administration in GC. I do know the superintendent a little. He's.......quite something. I'll leave it at that. Word around town is, he's looking to retire within the next 5 or so years. I can't imaging future administrators are going to want to keep a football coach around at that salary that doesn't keep pace with the rival program down the street. 

13 minutes ago, KW23 said:

Does GC return a lot?  Or did they graduate most of the team?

Return a couple of good players but graduate most of the team. I don't see them being as good as they have been in the past two seasons. It's hard to imagine them being a .500 team. 

Sixcat per a couple of assistants

the head coach is weightlifting coach by title only.....his assistant who followed him from PC (Anders?)  is actually providing the instruction, not sure what HC is doing?

On 5/9/2024 at 12:54 PM, sixcat said:

Do they win more than they did previously? They were playing in Class 2 under the previous coaching staff. Drop any D2 team down to Class 1. How much more successful would they be? A team like Tazewell would contend for a state championship. 

In my opinion, GC is a mediocre Class 2 program competing in Class 1. But that's just my opinion.

Should've been in the Three Rivers District since 1994.

3 minutes ago, Pickett said:

Would definitely agree up to @ 2008  when GC enrollment began to nosedive.  The MED since that time has been pretty solid all around  

I don't think anyone is disparaging the MED. It's more an issue with GC petitioning to play down several times over the past 30 years. Future enrollment will likely justify them being in Class 1 but they squarely fall within Class 2 parameters right now and petitioned VHSL to play down in Class 1. When the New River District dissolved, the Three Rivers District should have been the AA district and the MED the A district but again, GC fought to remain in the MED so they could play smaller schools.

As for the nosedive in Grayson County enrollment, county leaders have made misstep after misstep in county management dating back to the 90's. It's not a coincidence that the county population is getting significantly older and speaks with a northern accent. As more and more transplants retire to Grayson County, locals with families needing employment will continue to be priced out (see Avery County, NC). Local families will continue to relocate and GC school enrollment will continue to shrink. 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:28 PM, sixcat said:

Title says it all. Let’s hear those offseason changes around the region. I’ll get us started.

Tony Palmer has apparently hired the Bluefield University DC and Snake appears to be in his way out.  

Per a buddy of mine...from the School Board meeting last night.....Randy Sparks is listed as the Athletic Director for Graham in the fall.  Devontae Royal (from Bluefield University) is listed as a volunteer.  Snake Palmer is listed as assistant coach along with Mike Horton, Cliff Bradshaw and Rex Bradshaw.   The other volunteers look to be pretty much the same as last season.   Tazewell's coaches look to be nearly the same as last season.  Richlands assistants were listed as Terry Barret, Eric Phipps, Jordan Seals and Brannon Breeding and Bobby Adkins as a volunteer - so at least the RHS folks can see that some of the pieces for the football staff are coming together. I'm sure some more assistants may be named later as that information becomes available.