Last ten years

OldLeb51

The best of the last 10 years and one of the best of all-time IMO is the 1997 Bluefield Beavers. They went 14-0 and cruised to the state title. Second on the list IMO would the 2001 Graham G-Men. It's a real shame those kids couldn't cap off that great season with a state title. The 1996 Bluefield team was very strong as well, but was hit hard with key injures that season...

• 19 years later...

41 minutes ago, RichRich said:

Any updates on who yall think from those yrs untill now?

If we’re doing strictly coverage area here are my picks in order. Keep in mind, I’m only 29 so I’m sure there’s better teams I never got to see. I’m basing this off of the teams I can remember from 2003 until now.

1.  06 Richlands 

2. ‘18 Graham

3. ‘10 Gate City

4.  05 Giles 

All (I think) the teams that have won a VHSL title 2004-present 

'05 Giles

'06 Richlands

'10 Gate City

'11 Clintwood

'12 George Wythe

'13 Giles

'15 Galax

'18 Graham

'22 Graham

Some of the more talented teams that could've/should've won a title. 

'05 Richlands

'06 JI Burton

'10 Richlands

'11 George Wythe

'11 Galax

'12 Honaker

'14 Gate City

'14 Richlands

'15 Richlands

'15 Union

'17 Union

'19 Galax

EDIT: Added Union '15

59 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

All (I think) the teams that have won a VHSL title 2004-present 

'05 Giles

'06 Richlands

'10 Gate City

'11 Clintwood

'12 George Wythe

'13 Giles

'15 Galax

'18 Graham

'22 Graham

Some of the more talented teams that could've/should've won a title. 

'05 Richlands

'06 JI Burton

'10 Richlands

'11 George Wythe

'11 Galax

'12 Honaker

'14 Gate City

'14 Richlands

'15 Richlands

'17 Union

'19 Galax

2015 Union beat Richlands and also made state final four. I think both had a real shot. 

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

2015 Union beat Richlands and also made state final four. I think both had a real shot. 

Good point. I originally considered Union '15 and left them off because of the blowout to Clarke Co.. However, I hadn't taken into account that they beat Richlands, so I've added them. 

2004 Bluefield is the best team. Further back in time would be 1970 Gate City and 1965 Bluefield. 1993 Pulaski County was great even thought they lost the championship game. 1998 Powell Valley was pretty tough too. Went and watched them play at Giles.

The 1992 Pulaski team was loaded. Pulaski lost All-American Eric Webb to a season ending injury in the state semifinal in 1993 and weren't the same team without him. Webb stared at Middle Tennessee State. Sadly, Webb passed away earlier this year. 

Pulaski beat Thomas Dale 35-20 in 1992. Thomas Dale had Ken Oxendine at RB.

Annandale beat Pulaski in the 1993 state finals 14-7.

Just now, sixcat said:

The 1992 Pulaski team was loaded. Pulaski lost All-American Eric Webb to a season ending injury in the state semifinal in 1993 and weren't the same team without him. Webb stared at Middle Tennessee State. Sadly, Webb passed away earlier this year. 

Pulaski beat Thomas Dale 35-20 in 1992. Thomas Dale had Ken Oxendine at RB.

Annandale beat Pulaski in the 1993 state finals 14-7.

93 Pulaski was ranked for most of the season in USA Today Top 25. Webb's loss hurt bigtime and with him, they likely repeat.

31 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

2004 Bluefield is the best team. Further back in time would be 1970 Gate City and 1965 Bluefield. 1993 Pulaski County was great even thought they lost the championship game. 1998 Powell Valley was pretty tough too. Went and watched them play at Giles.

Bluefield of 84ish I think, Cortez Martin, Hugh Smalls (close friend of mine and former racquetball buddy) and your brother, kicking the winner on Pulaski. That Bluefield state title team wasn't chump change. Fun stories for Bluefield and some Graham fans that may know this below.....

I'm also good friends with former Pulaski and ETSU QB "Dandy' Randy Meredith who was the starting QB on that 80s PC team that lost in the game with the Field Goal by B.Researchers brother. 

Funfact for Bluefield fans and BR.  Randy (now an orthopedic surgeon) told me he suffered a late hit on the Bluefield sidelines and he was enraged at the hit and that he came up swinging, and he needed a target from Bluefield, someone to hit. He said he saw a player for Bluefield wearing the old "Spaz type" sportsgoggles and Randy (the PC QB) started throwing punches. I don't know if basketball great Chuck Denham played football, but when Randy told me this, Chuck Denham was the first guy I thought of because Chuck (also a distant friend of mine) was one of the first and few guys that perfected the sports goggles look way back in the day in our coverage area.

15 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

93 Pulaski was ranked for most of the season in USA Today Top 25. Webb's loss hurt bigtime and with him, they likely repeat.

Webb broke his jaw in several places making a tackle on defense against Thomas Dale. His jaw required multiple surgeries. It was nasty. Offense was where they missed Webb most in the state finals though. He was a absolute load in the Joel Hicks Wing T at 6'-2" and 230 pounds.