Lee @ Gate City

fb-fan24263

I didn't realize I would generate so much intrigue in the football world.  Sorry but Im not a school employee, I am no body else on here, just me.  As for as an IP address, what is an IP address and how to I change it.

10 hours ago, GC JOKER said:

The only thing I`m sure about is if he don't quit we wont have enough players next year to play a full game.

With few exceptions, show me a team with less than 10 seniors and I'll show you a team with a losing record. Championship level teams field about 20 kids in each class. The 2017 Devils have, what, 6 freshmen? That means, by 2020, GC will field a team that has 6 players that have played all 3 years prior to their senior year, and that's IF they stick around. I think we can safely assume the 2018 team is more likely to be winless than .500. There is a little hope for 2019 on the strength of a strong class of kids that performed well in middle school (Gibson, Calhoun, Salee, etc.). Follow that with the aforementioned 2020 class and you're talking about GC going something like 5 - 35 between 2017 & 2020 - & that's being optimistic about the 2019 team that will have to overcome Akers' incompetence. 

If Akers manned up, admitted the job was too big for him, and quit today GC football is still looking at an uphill climb for multiple years. That's not even addressing our AD doing everything possible to kick sand in the face of our feeder programs. 

All because Brent Roberts \ Bill Quillen have a grudge against Bill Houseright  and didn't want Jeremy to have the job. I think it's time GC folks start confronting these two goons about these issues through the remainder of football season and basketball season.

3 hours ago, Grapeape said:

With few exceptions, show me a team with less than 10 seniors and I'll show you a team with a losing record. Championship level teams field about 20 kids in each class. The 2017 Devils have, what, 6 freshmen? That means, by 2020, GC will field a team that has 6 players that have played all 3 years prior to their senior year, and that's IF they stick around. I think we can safely assume the 2018 team is more likely to be winless than .500. There is a little hope for 2019 on the strength of a strong class of kids that performed well in middle school (Gibson, Calhoun, Salee, etc.). Follow that with the aforementioned 2020 class and you're talking about GC going something like 5 - 35 between 2017 & 2020 - & that's being optimistic about the 2019 team that will have to overcome Akers' incompetence. 

If Akers manned up, admitted the job was too big for him, and quit today GC football is still looking at an uphill climb for multiple years. That's not even addressing our AD doing everything possible to kick sand in the face of our feeder programs. 

All because Brent Roberts \ Bill Quillen have a grudge against Bill Houseright  and didn't want Jeremy to have the job. I think it's time GC folks start confronting these two goons about these issues through the remainder of football season and basketball season.

I’ve seen quite a few very good teams with less than 10 seniors. Problem I’ve noticed over the years are teams heavily laden with seniors. They tend to become complacent while younger teams usually stay hungry. Many coaches use years when they don’t have many seniors or senior contributors to play the youngest players they can to build a core to last a couple years...especially at key positions. Many times the kids they play at key positions aren’t necessarily the best they have, but the ones with the most upside who will be around longest...and they play the kids that lose out on these positions in less vital positions where they can still make an impact. IMO, that’s the best strategy to deal with a team with few seniors because it makes the initial rebuilding take a year, but last 2-3 years. In the 2-3 years you have it rolling, then you groom players to reload once the core players graduate. That means investing time observing the feeder programs, 8th graders, and JV in an effort to envision the best combination of future players...and requires some cooperation from the coaches of those teams to once in a while work with specific players in specific positions in an effort to have them as ready as possible to compete at the position the varsity coach intends to try them at once they hit the varsity level. During all of this, fans have to be patient and let the coach make the moves he feels he needs to make in an effort to rebuild into a strong contending team. A wise old coach once told me, “It’s not how many you lose at the end of the year, it’s who you lose.” I believe in that 110%.

I anticipate GC having approximately 23 players dressed out to play Friday night. This would have to be the smallest GC team by numbers since the 60s (Another of the wrong kind of record for Akers!). I wish my old buddy Fred was still around to ask, though I'd also hate for him to see what has become of the program he loved. 

May be a bettter game than most expect ...  I heard we'll be playing several players tonight that has had limited time on the field this year.  Lots of our next years team will be playing tonight.... Either way I hope for no injuries for either team tonight.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I'm going to pick Lee 77, Gate City 7 just because Grapeape picked that ridiculous score over in the Ridgeview/Battle thread.

I have jumped ship on GC until basketball season. The bigger and more often the loss, the quicker the cancer named Akers will be removed. Both GC and Ridgeview will get blown out tonight and it doesn't bother me at all.

5 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I have jumped ship on GC until basketball season. The bigger and more often the loss, the quicker the cancer named Akers will be removed. Both GC and Ridgeview will get blown out tonight and it doesn't bother me at all.

Akers not going anywhere. 

In Akers's first year as head coach without Bill Houseright's staff he has set records for:

*consecutive losses

*largest all time halftime deficit

*smallest team (# of players) in modern era (1970+)

Responsible for the one of the two worst teams in school history,

Failure to develop / execute a S&C program combined with his practice philosophy (Such as going full pads on Thursdays) has resulted in an unprecedented # of player injuries...

An example of strategy:

Akers has a three word cadence, let's say it's Down, Set, Go...

If the play is a pass, the snap count is ALWAYS on Down. If the play is a run to the right the snap count is ALWAYS on Set. If the play is a run to the left, the snap count is ALWAYS on Go.

How long do you think it takes defenders to figure that out?

We dressed 27 kids tonight, and had 11 in street clothes on the sideline. (Not counting Webb who had knee surgery today). Plus, we lost Calhoun to an injury early in this game. Amazing. 

Smallest, good weather GC crowd I have ever seen at home.