Best Non Play-off Team Staying Home

warrior4uva

Abingdon and Chilhowie, but both are gonna have to beef up their schedules. I know there are a lot of rivalries that these two teams want to keep but they're going to have to look at the big picture. Good luck to both in the future.

[ QUOTE ]

Both Abingdon and Chilhowie would have gotten blown out in the first round so it may be best that they missed the playoffs altogether...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to make anyone upset but this is a stupid statement...neither team got "blownout" during the regular season and if your refering to Chilhowie having to play Giles I would bet money that they would put up a better fight than any D3 Region IV team...after all Giles beat Blacksburg and Blacksburg beat Graham 55-7...I would have to say no one in D3 Region IV is in their class either.

Abingdon (would have been a good end to a great season)

Lee (would stand a better chance of beating PV than honaker)

Haysi (got beat down by lee but would be a better matchup against clintwood than appy)

you are forgetting about richlands. they are a very good team and so is ghs. yea we got blown out the first 3 games but they improved over the year and are playing pretty good ball. we did win against rhs and yes lost to abingdon. main thing is we improved. may not go far in the playoffs but after the way we started will be a good start for next season. all that being said if ghs gets past marion and rhs past patrick county that will be a very good game and a close one. but first have to take care of first game.

[ QUOTE ]

Both Abingdon and Chilhowie would have gotten blown out in the first round so it may be best that they missed the playoffs altogether...

[/ QUOTE ] I think Abingdon and Chilhowie both deserved to be in the playoffs, and I believe they would have represented their districts well. Many thought Graham would blow out Abingdon, and look what happened. Both Abingdon and Chilhowie had respectable records, and it's a shame they aren't being allowed to play because of this ridiculous playoff system. And don't jump all over me for saying the system in Va. is ridiculous, you have almost all agreed at some point.

that is true, it may not be the best system but it is what we have and untill someone comes up with a fool proof one it is what we go with. i think that no matter what system you use someone will get left out at some point unless you let everyone in the playoffs.because as long as you have points to determine position you will have teams that will play down in division to hopefully get the points from teams they beat when those teams win.now i am not sure if you get the same amount of points for defeating a single a team as you do with a double a team or not. if so then maybe that is where part of the flaw is. give fewer points for winning over a lower team and more if you win over a larger school like over a aaa school. and before anyone says anything this is not aimed at any school.

For just playing a game you earn 4 points if your opponent is from Group A, 8 if AA and 12 if AAA and one point for every win the opponent has. If you win the game you get another 12 points plus another point for every win the opponent has.

Example 1 : you beat a 5-5 Group A team, so you get 4 + 5 + 12 + 5, or 26 points

from http://www.angelfire.com/va/vhsl/FAQ.html

so you get one point for every win no matter is a aa or aaa

maybe need to change that part and give more points for win by same size or larger school. might help some in the ratings i dont know but might

Since you get the points up front just for playing a certain size school, I think it's good like it is. The rider points come for the level of the competition. For example, a D1 school can play a D3 and get the bonus just for taking the field...if they lose, they still get a point for each team the other team beats...and if they beat em, they get 2 points per win. This system is better than the previous one, and really, I think this year it put in the best teams outside of a district champ or 2. (But IMO, I think every district champ should be in...and if a team can't win their district and then they fall short on points, they had a chance and have no right to complain) But, at least now the seeding is by points.

Yes siree,Twin Springs Pound, You chillie dogs need to beef it up play Honaker, PV, JI Burton GC. Maybe the VHSL will help you in the next year RR meetings. I hear Graham Tazewell Grundy are going single A maybe you boys could pick one or two of those teams up next time> to be the best you have got to play the best. Your Comments HOGO OBV?

i guess what i am saying is when you have a aa team that plays a teams other than district teams and win they should not get as many points for those wins as some team that plays all aa or larger schools. might promote schools to look for teams in same division that way. then if you lose on points would be a little more fair.maybe i am looking at it wrong and more than likely i am but i think when someone plays a smaller school points should be a lot different than for playing same size or larger schools.

100% agreed...although when asking someone about the weak schedule I was informed they had problems finding any takers...allegedly contacted all TRD and MED schools with no takers...they even have to travel twice to Pound for every one home game...they do scrimmage Honaker and Abingdon....used to scrimmage Floyd and Giles you would think they could come to a agreement on playing for atleast a couple of years.

That's exactly how it is set up...for each "A" you get so many points for just showing up. That compensates teams for playing bigger schools if they are small...and in a way penalizes bigger schools for playing smaller schools UNLESS the smaller school has a really good record in the end. I think it's about right.