Best away places to play and coolest fans

com74bsslc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With me being from Hurley, I thank you guys for compliments on "The Cliff". I tell you what I like about "The Cliff" is the sound echoing off the Mtn. when a big play happens for Hurley or the opposing team. I especially love hearing the little league games because the kids are always excited.

I like Honaker's old and new field. The people are friendly and a good concession.

Belfry KY has an excellent field,fieldhouse,concession,etc compliments of CAM Mining.

I wish some local teams could get Belfry on their schedule, would like to see how a Heyward coached team would do against Richlands,Grundy,Hurley (prolly take us to the woodshed) but I like to see it.

With me being from Hurley, I thank you guys for compliments on "The Cliff". I tell you what I like about "The Cliff" is the sound echoing off the Mtn. when a big play happens for Hurley or the opposing team. I especially love hearing the little league games because the kids are always excited.

I like Honaker's old and new field. The people are friendly and a good concession.

Belfry KY has an excellent field,fieldhouse,concession,etc compliments of CAM Mining.

I wish some local teams could get Belfry on their schedule, would like to see how a Heyward coached team would do against Richlands,Grundy,Hurley (prolly take us to the woodshed) but I like to see it.

+1 my dad used to coach over at belfry

My favorite place to go is Clinchport. Why you may ask do I enjoy a ride to the cow pasture? Because this big 'ol boy loves to eat and the Eagle's nest is the bomb :) Actually liked going to Coeburn as well-nice seating and good hotdogs. Gate City being the worst (again because I love to eat). My buddy from there tried to warn me about the hotdogs,but I had to get ballsy-black tar chili that you could patch a radiator with. I truly hope that has changed :)

The black tar chili has been gone a few years now. They use Pal's chili....or somethin very close.

No kiddin, last year at Grundy the ramp leading to the visitors stands had a panel missing lol The speakers are horrible imo, right in your face and too loud(but its just as bad on the home side

Haysi has a nice visitors side, our facilities overall are lacking but the vsitors have plenty of solid seating and a nice paved walkway behind the bleachers.

I agree that the visitors side at Ernie is not good, and I have to also say the bathrooms suck too, but I guess I am biased, but there is still something special about the place..............check that, I know I am biased.....lol.

I really like the food at Honaker ! All that good deep fried goodness.......mmmmm......mmmmm. I think I just gained 10lbs.

I agree that the visitors side at Ernie is not good, and I have to also say the bathrooms suck too, but I guess I am biased, but there is still something special about the place..............check that, I know I am biased.....lol.

I really like the food at Honaker ! All that good deep fried goodness.......mmmmm......mmmmm. I think I just gained 10lbs.

thats always a good thing at Honaker is the food ... i guess im biased but also the visitor side has just as adequate seating as the home side... maybe more seating because of the home side press box... just to add my 2 cents... everyone be safe to and from games tonight!!!!!!!

I love attending a game at Gate City. Always alot of class,atmosphere, and the history of Legion Stadium. I think Lee High always has a good field to play on and the atmosphere is awesome, no matter what our record is. Pizza Plus pizza is the bomb.lol Never liked going to Battle or Virginia High. Lebanon is a pretty cool place, good food. Powell Valley and Clintwood are awesome. If you want atmosphere though, take a trip down to Harlan County,KY.

The only visitor's side in SWVA that I've found adequate is at Mitchell.

You need to come to Radford, vistors side is better than most Single A home sides. Radford has a really nice field but consessions (sp) suck.

No kiddin, last year at Grundy the ramp leading to the visitors stands had a panel missing lol The speakers are horrible imo, right in your face and too loud(but its just as bad on the home side

Haysi has a nice visitors side, our facilities overall are lacking but the vsitors have plenty of solid seating and a nice paved walkway behind the bleachers.

I have been complaining about the 1950's Korean War/MASH style Army Surplus loudspeakers for years...I hate them and they are actually in the field of view and you can't see around them in certain spots... absolutely horrid....and they crank them up as loud as they can get them for some reason and play Cotton Eyed Joe...it's hella' annoying.

Someone must have been trying to steal some aluminum. The seats over there on the visitor side at Grundy are pretty good compared to some of the others around here...not the best, but not the worst.

Yes. Yet it does.

Mind boggling as this may be, the visitors' side at Liberty(Bedford) is actually worse.

Been there, and you are correct.

I know this is not what you guys are looking for since this is a SWVA board but I was stationed in different parts of the country during the 1990's while serving in the military. I was fortunate to attend games in the Austin and Waco Texas areas, Columbia South Carolina and all over Louisiana. Football here just don't compare.

West Monroe (Louisiana) High School football is something to behold. While I was stationed at Ft. Polk, I attended several games during the state championship seasons of 1996, 1997 and 1998. During that time they had players such as Brady James (Dallas Cowboys), Rodney Reed (Atlanta Falcons), Andrew Whitworth, Brian West, and Jason Ledoux, who all played on the LSU National Champion Team in 2002/2003. Go to google maps and turn on the areal imagery and view the stadium. Major college coaches were lining the field at every home game.

Incredible!

Edited by sixcat

the place that really suprised me was twin valley. when i was doing stats the press box was awesome and they even fed me. it was the only field i had been to where both sides used the same bleachers. but i guess the nicest place that i have been to is mitchell stadium. or to east montgomery in shawsville

I actually forgot about the Eastern Montgomery Stadium in Shawsville. Although small, the facility is very nice with both sides having adequate and comfortable seating. The stadium has a nice overall appearance and just a few years back was always packed to the brim. The folks in Montgomery County did a nice job with that school and the football field. Great accommodations for a smaller D1 school!

the place that really suprised me was twin valley. when i was doing stats the press box was awesome and they even fed me. it was the only field i had been to where both sides used the same bleachersQUOTE]

Hurley is like that

Lance, the panel was there but just knocked out(really a lawsuit waiting to happen). Other than that I liked Grundys stadium, not the best but pretty nice. Did Grundy ever actually fill up their home side? Its HUGE!