Altavista objects to playing at Haysi

Great City

I call BULLSHIT!!!  bunch of sissys!

The field isint in the greatest shape but its fine. I will admit there is little to no grass between the hash marks but its just mud(its not sloppy splashy mud). Its not a dangerous situation.

Imo theres NO WAY the game gets moved to UVA-W or Richlands(an hour car ride is not "homefield"). If it gets moved I think it will be to Clintwood. The field in Clintwood is spectacular, always is. No one on Earth could find anything wrong with that field.

Bearcat Bob, the field sits next to the river at the bottom of a valley(suprise suprise in SWVA), not alot of sun and some damp conditions. Its actually a really good field, imo its right there with Bullitt Park, but its definately a step or two behind the field at Ralphs House(Clintwood).  the 1st round of the playoffs there was a major downpour during the game and that resulted in the field being torn up as much as it is.

If the field conditions posed a danger to the players I would be all about getting the game moved, but thats not the case.

Before I moved the game to UVA-W I swear I would miove it to Riggs Stadium!

Its FOOTBALL, its a dirty game. Get used to it!

I sure hope you all get to keep the game there. I agree also if it has to be moved it should be at Clintwood. Either way we are planning on coming.

Once again I hope its played at Sandlick. Home field advantage is earned and priceless!

I'd be willing to wager almost any amount that the objections have little or nothing to do with the field conditions.  Altavista's coaching staff is just trying to reduce the travel time by any degree and any means possible.

On that note, you can pretty much expect any team from east of I-81 to object to playing anywhere..... well, WEST of I-81.

I'd be willing to wager almost any amount that the objections have little or nothing to do with the field conditions.  Altavista's coaching staff is just trying to reduce the travel time by any degree and any means possible.

Thats exactly what I think, they probably want the game moved to E&H.

Honaker, Richlands, UVA-W are all easier trips for Altavista

Fingers crossed for snow Saturday

I guess I am new school, but I firmly believe all playoffs games should be played on Field Turf whenever possible. The technology is there now so football games do not to be played in a muddy, sloppy mess and there are plenty of stadiums with Field Turf now to accommodate the majority of games. If want to watch kids slopping around playing football go find a backyard game. The kids and coaches work too hard to get to this point to have the ability to shine on the biggest stage taken away by poor field conditions. They couldn't do anything about it in the past, but we can now and kids deserve the best opportunity to succeed. I'll sit back and wait for the firing squad...ha

You say that now that Mitchell Stadium has field turf. If this were a year in which both Bluefield and Graham were hosting multiple playoff games, a grass field at Mitchell were in less than perfect shape and the powers to be were trying to take a home game away from the Beavers then I'm sure your tune would be different.

If the VHSL decides to have the semis at neutral turf sites I wouldnt have a problem with it, but since that not the system we have now I do not want the game moved. I completly understand the arguement of wanting the games to be played on the best surface possible(thats part of the reason the Title games are on neutral sites w/ turf). If the VHSL wants to move the 1A West semis to E&H or UVA-W(E&H would be better imo) begining next season then so be it(I loved the Reg D Finals at UVA-W). When this new system went into place I was suprised that the Semis werent put on neutral turf sites.

I say go ahead and change it before next season but for now Essex, Haysi, Giles and Brunswick deserve to host the Semis at THEIR home fields

You say that now that Mitchell Stadium has field turf. If this were a year in which both Bluefield and Graham were hosting multiple playoff games, a grass field at Mitchell were in less than perfect shape and the powers to be were trying to take a home game away from the Beavers then I'm sure your tune would be different.

Actually I wouldn't objective to a home game being moved onto an artificial surface. Playing on an artificial surface gives the Beavers the advantage over 99% of teams they face in the playoffs. I can understand why Haysi would want to play in the muck because Altavista has some very good athletes that Haysi likely cannot defend against. With that said, however, when I go to Salem I want to see the best team playing. I don't want to see a team that benefitted poor field conditions. Ultimately Haysi, and any other less gifted athletic teams, cannot run from (no pun intended) the athletic foes they will likely face on the Field Turf fields in state championship games.

I said it before in another forum on here and I will say it again.  Haysi deserves and has earned the right to play in sandlick.  The fans deserve to watch the game in sandlick.  AltaVista filing a protest is poor sportsmanship in my opinion.  Did Fort chiswell file one with a 5 hour bus trip in front of them?  I guarantee their bus trip is 2 times as long as AltaVista.....No, they didn't, the community has banded together and raised money to make sure the football team goes there a day early, make sure they have a comfortable bed to sleep in Friday night, a good meal to eat before the game.  They have also raised enough money to make sure the band and the cheerleaders can go.  And they are making sure thru church vans and such that all the players families have he opportunity to see the game. 

Home field is something that is earned and cherished in every sport we play in this country, whether it is high school, college, or pro and it should be respected as such in this case.

I said it before in another forum on here and I will say it again.  Haysi deserves and has earned the right to play in sandlick.  The fans deserve to watch the game in sandlick.  AltaVista filing a protest is poor sportsmanship in my opinion.  Did Fort chiswell file one with a 5 hour bus trip in front of them?  I guarantee their bus trip is 2 times as long as AltaVista.....No, they didn't, the community has banded together and raised money to make sure the football team goes there a day early, make sure they have a comfortable bed to sleep in Friday night, a good meal to eat before the game.  They have also raised enough money to make sure the band and the cheerleaders can go.  And they are making sure thru church vans and such that all the players families have he opportunity to see the game. 

Home field is something that is earned and cherished in every sport we play in this country, whether it is high s

My further two cents....   I think Mike Scharnus is attempting to be very smart in a very insidious way. 

By filing the appeal, he's basically offering a potential distraction in terms of Haysi's preparation for the actual game.  And if the appeal actually receives favorable attention, Scharnus gets to shorten his trip and play on a facility that probably plays better to the physical strength of his team. 

As a native of God's Country, I'm personally offended by yet another example of the disregard that the rest of the Commonwealth has for Southwest Virginia.  But in trying to apply some objectivity to the situation, what Altavista is doing isn't a surprise -- if anything, it's blatantly transparent.

As distasteful as this issue is to most of us (and as much fun as it is to have fodder for argument), I'm not sure that we stand to gain a lot from blowing this up into a huge issue.

We need to remain cognizant of the fact that Haysi is the home team because they are the #1 seed in the West.  Altavista actually has a slightly better VHSL rating (24.9 to Haysi's 24.0).

The best result would simply be for the Tigers to take care of business on the field.  And even then they may also want to consider playing barefoot and/or blindfolded.  Some uppity Easterners can divorce themselves from reality pretty easily when it benefits them.

Actually I wouldn't objective to a home game being moved onto an artificial surface. Playing on an artificial surface gives the Beavers the advantage over 99% of teams they face in the playoffs. I can understand why Haysi would want to play in the muck because Altavista has some very good athletes that Haysi likely cannot defend against.

I quoted your post simply because it bring up a point that seems to be a commonly held belief, that Altavista and the teams from the East have a major speed advantage over Haysi and teams from the West. I dont believe that to be true, not on the 1A level at least.

I have no doubt that if every player on both teams ran 40s and the times were averaged out, that Altavista wouls be faster, but imo not by alot. Haysi has some burners and can run.

If the field is dangerous, move the game to a site of Haysi's choosing.

if the field is not dangerous, play the game as scheduled.

It should be that simple.

Not really sure if I agree with making certain rounds of the playoffs having to be played on turf.  Seems like that would always give the "speed" teams an advantage. That just doesn't seem fair.

Football is (generally) an outside sport played in the elements.  If we are going to worry about having the best playiing conditions possible, then why play ANY regular season games in the rain/snow?

The turf/speed teams will want as many games as possible played on turf because that is what they are used to playing on, and what gives them an advantage.

The natural grass teams are going to want as many games as possible played on natural grass because it is what they are used to playing on, and because it might give them an advantage.

You must not have seen Hays this year. They have very good speed and maybe the fastest player on the field Saturday. The two teams seem to be very similar. Hays can spread you out or power you. Just don't think Altavista has the superior athlete's by no means. I guess we will see Saturday.

You must not have seen Haysi this year. They have very good speed and maybe the fastest player on the field Saturday. The two teams seem to be very similar. Haysi can spread you out or power you. Just don't think Altavista has the superior athlete's by no means. I guess we will see Saturday.

By "maybe the fastest player on the field" I assume you are talking about #3 O'Quinn?  Unless im mistaken #30 Mullins is faster and Bowen isint far behind. Haysi has some speed.