GATE CITY

HawkeyeDan

No that's what you are wanting tho. Not going to Go there. I already said I have all the respect in the world for Gate City. I have done research on them I know they have a lot of tradition. But you are about to prove my point in that athletes make a difference in sports the most of the time. Keep Flashing the 5 time state champions ships. Then we will start calling out the athletes those teams had.

how do you think a school like Gate City wins or contends for  state titles in football, tennis, volleyball softball, baseball, and girls and boys basketball?  GC is up there most years in EVERY sport.  Is that done without athletes?   Buckingham may have a slight edge in team speed and maybe they are stronger on the offensive line, but they ARE NOT better athletes than Gate City.  The conditioning program is too good across the board and has been since Harry Fry.  You are being disrespectful of Gate City and all of Southwest Virginia honestly.   How many championships has Buckingham won in ANY sport?  

If only I were from Buckingham, I would be able to walk up the stairs without hyperventilating.  If only I were privy to the conditioning program of the mighty Knights in high school, I would be able to walk 100 feet in the parking lot at the grocery store.  Why the US Olympic Team is recruiting babies from the remotest geographic center of Virginia and only there, is beyond me.

In 2002, Gate City missed the chance to play Buckingham in the state championship by 1 point. That was probably one of the best, if not the best Gate City team not to win state in my lifetime. 

Speed won't be a factor against Gate City's stingy defense. 

I don't have a dog in this fight but I watched my brother play against Gate City several years ago.  I think Josh Shoemaker, Jake Houseright and Chad Beasley could have played football for anybody in the state, regardless of division.  Shoemaker chose basketball collegiately over football but he had the talent to play football almost anywhere he wanted.   

Replacing Tim Duncan as Wake Forest starting center for four years was a nice consolation prize.  The other two had pretty good careers at Virginia Tech.

With all do respect Mr. Hiltonian. Gate City Had above average athletes on everyone of those titles they have won..... you know this I know this and everyone else knows this. If my research is correct and if it isn't then oh me... Rodgers is a name to throw Houseright D1 vt  I was at the game against Essex the qb that year was the biggest difference in that game the running back was really good also. with out the likes of those players I really doudt you would have the championships you have.

I can send you championship team after championship team and pull names of the standout players from those teams that was the difference.

The best Gate City team not to win state was 1996 hands down that was upset by Brookville by a point.  They easily would have won Group A Division 2 that year, but GC was still playing up in AA Division 3.   The 2000 team is up there as well, but wasn't as loaded across the board as the 96 team.  The 1988 team was doomed by second half turnovers against Martinsville, I would put them fourth and then that 2002 GC team.  Those other 3 teams would have easily won Group A that year if GC was playing in the proper classification.

I know your qb. from last year is really athletic if im not mistaken he was only a freshman. I was telling folks last year that people would be hearing a lot about him in the future. I really don't remember 7 you all have been talking about so I cant say anything about him.

GC would have beaten that Essex team like a rented mule without our quarterback and that running back and the 2003 team was hardly one of our best. So now you are at least saying we have had above average athletes?   Well, no crap.  How do you think you win championships?  We've had so many "above" average athletes that we've had the opportunity to tank in about 4 times as many state playoff football games as Buckingham has ever played in. 

And there is more to championship football teams than reading some names in some old newspaper article where they interview the player with the best plays.  If you are seriously saying that GC would have won NOTHING without 3-4 players over the past 40 years you are completely ignorant and possibly insane.

The best Gate City team not to win state was 1996 hands down that was upset by Brookville by a point.  They easily would have won Group A Division 2 that year, but GC was still playing up in AA Division 3.   The 2000 team is up there as well, but wasn't as loaded across the board as the 96 team.  The 1988 team was doomed by second half turnovers against Martinsville, I would put them fourth and then that 2002 GC team.  Those other 3 teams would have easily won Group A that year if GC was playing in the proper classification.

Those were all teams that went 10-0 and came up short in the state semis.

That 2002 team was something else though. 

that is exactly what im saying. I have been saying that all along I never once said that gate city never had any athletes my friend. But that Normally the most Athletic team wins. and I feel Buckingham is more athletic than Gate City this year may or may not be but that my opinion.......

Are you so Defensive and taking things out of perspective because you may have some concern about what is coming to your little football rich community this coming Sat.

I really have no skin in this game, but some of these comments have been a little over-the-top.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are talking about 15, 16, 17 and 18-year-old kids, aren't we?  You seem to be attempting to tear down a community that has been the standard of excellence in high school sports for a long, long time.  Don't expect that kind of flaming to be accepted without some resistance.  Your team may win, but they also may lose.  If they do lose, since you have been bumping your gums non-stop, please be man enough to come here and admit you were wrong. 

Posting that crap on social media comes back to burn most of the time a kid from abingdon a couple weeks ago was talking about Sam Wagner saying Sam didn't have nothing on him and then Sam ran over him in the 4th quarter and the kid got mad and acted like he was going to get him while Marion was huddling up. It's dumb to talk trash on social media

Words are cheap, actions speak much louder than words...

I'm not sure what you mean or how you get that I'm have been over the top. If gate city wins I will be right here to hand out congrats. I have done nothing but stated facts. Nothing but respect towards Gate City and all the other remaining folks. Got have a little pregame message board smack. And our boys will do the talking Sat. Gate City included.

I'm not sure what you mean or how you get that I'm have been over the top. If gate city wins I will be right here to hand out congrats. I have done nothing but stated facts. Nothing but respect towards Gate City and all the other remaining folks. Got have a little pregame message board smack. And our boys will do the talking Sat. Gate City included.

Nothing at all wrong with some pregame smack talk. Bring some of your friends here to get in on it.