GATE CITY

HawkeyeDan

Over the years have had the pleasure of watching how some of them Old Devils stoke the flame on that Cannonball and let me tell you they know how to get that thing fired up.  One thing I know without a doubt, they will be some bells a ringing in Gate City but the ones in the stands aren't the ones Buckingham will be worrying about.

GO DEVILS GO SWVA FOOTBALL!!!

Hey Dan,

Like the way you let old Jason into that video. lol

If the fans, coaches and players from the 2011 Galax state runner-up team would be honest, they would say they got beat by a Clintwood team full of football players.  Galax had an abundance of athletes in that game.  Clintwood hit them in the mouth and continued to hit them in the mouth until the final whistle.

Watched some of the film of that game and one of the smartest things I think I have ever seen done by a staff was Clintwood having their punter hold the ball an extra couple of counts to give their coverage team time to get down field.  Galax never rushed a single person and it kept Galax athletes in check from making a huge special teams play.

Watched some of the film of that game and one of the smartest things I think I have ever seen done by a staff was Clintwood having their punter hold the ball an extra couple of counts to give their coverage team time to get down field.  Galax never rushed a single person and it kept Galax athletes in check from making a huge special teams play.

VERY good coaching move.

At the same time Galax started the game(first 2 Cw drives) in a 4 man front with two 3 tech DTs, Cw never ran a FB Dive or TB Iso. Sometimes Mullins looks brilliant and sometimes he just leaves you scratching your head. 

The one area coach Dixon continually gets beat or out coached is special teams. Galax also had two turnovers in that game from failing to cover a kickoffs.

Six, you said Galax struggles in pass coverage, passing the ball and special teams. Hard to believe they ever win struggling in all those areas. Should be a pretty easy game for PH Glade.

Six, you said Galax struggles in pass coverage, passing the ball and special teams. Hard to believe they ever win struggling in all those areas. Should be a pretty easy game for PH Glade.

Galax is exceptional along the front seven and the offensive line.  All teams have weaknesses, the key is matching up strengths to expose those weaknesses.  Clintwood, Honaker and Haysi have exploited those weaknesses each of the past three seasons.  Offensively, Galax QB's are 36-90 for 606 yards with virtually all of that yardage coming within the first four games and on swing passes to the RB's in the backfield.  They have nothing in terms of a down the field passing game.  They have not settled on a starter at QB and we are in the second week of the playoffs.  If you have more than one QB, you don't have a QB!  They do, however, have a very powerful running game.  Joseph Dixon has 2,401 yards and 38 TD's.

Defensively, they are as good in the front seven as you will find in 1A football.  They get exposed when teams have a down the field passing game.  They have struggled mightily for years defending a good passing attach.

On special teams, coach Dixon (no relation to the RB) loves to sell out for the big return.  On kickoff return, forward players turn and sprint toward the returners before turning and setting up their blocking lanes.  They have a tendency to sprint before watching the kick, which leaves them vulnerable to pooch kicks which Clintwood recovered twice.  He likes to do the same on punt returns as well.  They do, however, have one of the best field goal kickers I have seen at the high school level and he is only a sophomore.  

I actually think Galax will handle PH fairly easily.  They will not be so fortunate when they play Haysi.

Galax is exceptional along the front seven and the offensive line.  All teams have weaknesses, the key is matching up strengths to expose those weaknesses.  Clintwood, Honaker and Haysi have exploited those weaknesses each of the past three seasons.  Offensively, Galax QB's are 36-90 for 606 yards with virtually all of that yardage coming within the first four games and on swing passes to the RB's in the backfield.  They have nothing in terms of a down the field passing game.  They have not settled on a starter at QB and we are in the second week of the playoffs.  If you have more than one QB, you don't have a QB!  They do, however, have a very powerful running game.  Joseph Dixon has 2,401 yards and 38 TD's.

Defensively, they are as good in the front seven as you will find in 1A football.  They get exposed when teams have a down the field passing game.  They have struggled mightily for years defending a good passing attach.

On special teams, coach Dixon (no relation to the RB) loves to sell out for the big return.  On kickoff return, forward players turn and sprint toward the returners before turning and setting up their blocking lanes.  They have a tendency to sprint before watching the kick, which leaves them vulnerable to pooch kicks which Clintwood recovered twice.  He likes to do the same on punt returns as well.  They do, however, have one of the best field goal kickers I have seen at the high school level and he is only a sophomore.  

I actually think Galax will handle PH fairly easily.  They will not be so fortunate when they play

I agree Six, time to let someone else try and revive Galax Football to respectability.

I agree Six, time to let someone else try and revive Galax Football to respectability.

I never said it was time for a new staff.  It is time to develop something that resembles a passing game though!  2,500 yard backs are great, but they don't win playoff games, balance does.

Well we made it  to Kingsport and got checked in . and then took a stroll over into Gate City and check out the Stadium and all. Very impressed with it and it looks like a very nice place to watch High School Football Game.

Good place for the knights to get another Victory against the Devils in front of all those 1000 plus fans.

Pupster in the House

Well we made to Kingsport and got checked. and then took a stroll over into Gate City and check out the Stadium and all. Very impressed with it and it looks like a very nice place to watch High School Football Game.

Good place for the knights to get another Victory against the Devils in front of all those 1000 plus fans.

Pupster in the House

good luck setting on visitors side.............. LOL