Florida State Fans in SWVA/Southern WV

BHS03

You have to love all of the people from the area who are Florida State "fans" and love to trash WVU and Tech. They also love to bring up national championships to compare. Maybe I will just pick a random ass team from across America and brag about National Championships and then act like it means something special to me.

So are we just supposed to pull for local teams just because we live here? I've been a Notre Dame fan since I was a kid, just like my dad. My friend's whole family are Notre Dame crazy. Yet we all live in SWVA. While there are a large number of bandwagon fans, there's also a large number of true fans of teams across America who may only talk about their team when they're winning (since in that case everyone would be talking about them). In my case, I started watching sports in the 90s so naturally I started following teams that did well then (Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Braves) but I've continued to be a fan even in the crappiest of years. Though don't get me wrong, I still pull for local teams in most games. I like for this area to do well in sports among other things. I just happen to be a major fan of other teams.

So are we just supposed to pull for local teams just because we live here? I've been a Notre Dame fan since I was a kid, just like my dad. My friend's whole family are Notre Dame crazy. Yet we all live in SWVA. While there are a large number of bandwagon fans, there's also a large number of true fans of teams across America who may only talk about their team when they're winning (since in that case everyone would be talking about them). In my case, I started watching sports in the 90s so naturally I started following teams that did well then (Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Braves) but I've continued to be a fan even in the crappiest of years. Though don't get me wrong, I still pull for local teams in most games. I like for this area to do well in sports among other things. I just happen to be a major fan of other teams.

People can cheer for whomever their hearts desire. If you want to pull for Hawaii, do so.

But when the rationale is "the reason I'm cheering for these teams is because they were good when I took an interest in the sport", well...that's pretty weak.

Being a fan is largely about connections. What is tying you to a certain team? How close do you live to a team? Have you ever attended a game for this team? Does the team play a certain style (NOT do they win all the time, a different question) that really connects with you? Does your family or community have a special connection to the team (like Bluefield people being Giants/Colts fans for Bradshaw, or Big Stone Gap people being fans of UVA/Notre Dame)?

We're how many mIles from South Bend? 600? We're over 1000 miles from Dallas, because I've actually looked that one up before making this same argument.

Family is a rationale I can understand, but even then, the vast majority of those fans are "well, Notre Dame was really good when daddy was growing up, so..." types of fans. That isn't very persuasive to me, but still, it's better than the bandwagonism seen from most Alabama fans here.

It's the reason I get overjoyed seeing those programs fail (mostly, Notre Dame and Dallas).

I've been long-winded on this topinion yet again. But in summary, people can cheer for any team. Free world and all. But if you cheer for a team because they win all the time, or some other "because I need an ego boost" reason, and you have the guts to openly admit to that, then I will value your fandom of little worth, and I will dampen any celebration of "your team's" success by calling you out on it over and over again.

Free world and all.

Your opinion, or any body else's for that matter, on whether I'm a Nebraska bandwagon fan or not will never dampen my celebration win they win lmao!!

I became a Nebraska fan at age 9. They lost to Miami when they decided to go for 2 instead of the tie in the Orange Bowl. I was instantly hooked. I have never attended Nebraska, never lived near there, don't know anyone that ever has personally. I just liked what they were about on that night. I have followed them closely since as well.

I guess my opinion of bandwagon fans and other opinions are different. But, bandwagon or not, it's been a long time since they were relevant nationally, and I am still a huge game of the Huskers. Maybe some day I will attend Nebraska and earn a degree from there so I can say I'm not a bandwagon fan anymore HAHAHA!

With pro football I could really care less who someone is a fan of unless they change teams every year. I have known people like that. Although when it comes to college, it's different for me. Being a fan of the home state team means a hell of a lot more than being a fan of a team who was dominate when I was a kid and I happened to like them because of that. When Bob Huggins says if he ever wins a National Championship he will tour around the entire state so everyone who wants to will have the chance to touch the trophy, that means something whether it ever happens or not.

Let's just say if Nebraska follows suit their program and hometown fans could care less about some guy in SWVA.

People can cheer for whomever their hearts desire. If you want to pull for Hawaii, do so.

But when the rationale is "the reason I'm cheering for these teams is because they were good when I took an interest in the sport", well...that's pretty weak.

Being a fan is largely about connections. What is tying you to a certain team? How close do you live to a team? Have you ever attended a game for this team? Does the team play a certain style (NOT do they win all the time, a different question) that really connects with you? Does your family or community have a special connection to the team (like Bluefield people being Giants/Colts fans for Bradshaw, or Big Stone Gap people being fans of UVA/Notre Dame)?

We're how many mIles from South Bend? 600? We're over 1000 miles from Dallas, because I've actually looked that one up before making this same argument.

Family is a rationale I can understand, but even then, the vast majority of those fans are "well, Notre Dame was really good when daddy was growing up, so..." types of fans. That isn't very persuasive to me, but still, it's better than the bandwagonism seen from most Alabama fans here.

It's the reason I get overjoyed seeing those programs fail (mostly, Notre Dame and Dallas).

I've been long-winded on this topinion yet again. But in summary, people can cheer for any team. Free world and all. But if you cheer for a team because they win all the time, or some other "because I need an ego boost" reason, and you have the guts to openly admit to that, then I will value your fandom of little worth, and I will dampen any celebration of "your team's" success by calling you out on it over and over again.

Free world and all.

You have to start somewhere with becoming a fan. The teams I'm a fan of (like Dallas and Chicago) were winning a lot and thus getting a lot of attention when I first started watching sports, so I obviously started paying attention to those teams. I was a kid when all that started, but like I said, I've continued to be a fan of those teams through thick and thin over the years and have no plans to switch teams. It shouldn't really matter why you start liking a team (whether it's a local player, the team is local, family tradition, or just because they're winning at the time), what matters is if you are a true fan over the years by sticking with them even when they suck. The way a lot of bandwagon fan haters talk, teams like Alabama, Notre Dame, New England, Dallas, etc. shouldn't have any fans at all. And on a side note: about liking a team because you went to see them play, many people go their whole lives never seeing their favorite teams play...mostly because it's too far away and too expensive.

Hey guys, imma start cheering for Germany in international soccer, because my grandfather noticed Germans playing soccer while he was in Strasburg in the army. Since it's very obviously a family tradition, Imma do yhat. But I want my rooting interests respected exactly like everyone else when my team whips the Yanks in international competition.

I dont mind when fans hop on the bandwagon and stay on it but if you were a Florida fan 7 years ago, then a Bama fan and now are a Oregon fan then youre really just a football fan, and thats fine but understand what you are.

There are a lot of Broncos fans in this area who are really Manning fans and that came from them being UT fans.

In college I pull for VT because its the local school and the teams are generally made up of players from VA. Also I went up to Blacksburg for a game in 8th grade having never heard of VT(seriously, my family really arent sports fans and only 2 of us have Bachelors degees) and I was hooked. I didnt go to VT but they are still my team. I really dont understand fans of schools from other states in general, For example UT fans, I dont get it. I can understand schools like Duke(academic pride) or ND(academic and history). I dont understand it but im not gonna fault them for it. Personally I pull for Wisconsin because I love their style but I wouldnt call myself a Wisconsin fan

My NFL team is Dallas. My stepdad jumped on the bandwagon in the early 90s and never got off. Ive been a fan since the mid 90s. Ive never been to a game(never really had the $ or time) but thats gonna change soon, im gonna go watch them is DC and eventually im gonna go to Dallas for a game.

In the end sports is about belonging to something, no matter how they do that im probably not gonna say too much to them. Now if they call themselves a "fan" but cant name more than 1-2 players from the team I will give them pure hell! lol

Hey guys, imma start cheering for Germany in international soccer, because my grandfather noticed Germans playing soccer while he was in Strasburg in the army. Since it's very obviously a family tradition, Imma do yhat. But I want my rooting interests respected exactly like everyone else when my team whips the Yanks in international competition.

You don't have to be a dick about it.

I may be showing my age here.  A friend of mine invited me to go to about 1 or 2 Tennessee games a year in the early 80's.  I got to see Reggie White play, and my first Tenn jersey was #92.  I was in HS and still a Tenn fan, but very casual.  In 1985 I saw the goal posts come down and #1 Auburn and Bo Jackson leave the field defeated and from that point on I have been hooked.  Dad finally got season tickets in 1986 and except for the funeral of my grandmother in 2006, attended every home game, and usually one away game.  We would alternate between KY and USC east.  I have never attended UT.  Just a fan.  The reason there are so many UT fans around here is due to the locality and the fact that in SWVA,  Virginia Tech did not really take off until 1999.  Please do not take that out of context.  VT has been a very solid program since then, and yes handed our butts to us in the Chik-Fil-A bowl.  Tennessee playing in the SEC, more TV coverage and playing the name teams (Florida, Alabama, Ga, Etc) has helped their own popularity. 

People can cheer for whomever they wish.  I have friends that have always been Alabama fans and ND fans.  But, these guys were Alabama fans when Mike Shula was there, and fans of ND when Gerry Faust and Bob Davie were there.  Now, If I drive from Bristol to Johnson City I will see 25 crimson A's on the backs of cars.  You cant throw a rock without hitting an Alabama fan.  Just like I used to see 25 Gator heads on the backs of cars during the Meyer/Tebow era. 

Personally Knoxville is closer than Blacksburg for me.  The first college game I attended an uncle of mine took me with him to see Tennessee and I think either Texas El Paso or UNLV during the Cobb-Webb combination years.  I had watched TN on TV before then, but that had me hooked. There are very few people over 35 around here who have pulled for VT since they were kids/preteen age.

Even without Vick VT would have had a great program with lots of support. VT Football was on the rise after 95 and the fan base was growing(admittedly I was just a kid then and before I really got into football)

I'm a mountaineer fan, through and through from football to men's ice skating, and that's from family ties and blue and gold (Grundy) I generally root for local teams UVA, UT..by no means am I a "fan of them, Virginia Tech makes me sick, the one and only thing I like is how they run out with the state flag ...and I despise hokie football fans who are Tar Heel basketball fans (example)

That is such a lame argument.

I am an Alabama fan, and have been since the early 90's. Yes, they were good in the early 90s, but that does not mean much to a 6 year old kid. I became a fan because my mom had a lot of respect for Gene Stallings, who had a handicapped son and never shied away from having him in the public light. He always made sure his son was a part of the program and got to enjoy the successes.

I stuck with Alabama thru the lean years, 1996-2006, the probations, the cheating incidents, Albert Means, etc....

Do I not have a right to enjoy my team's successes now (until last Thursday :( ) after sticking by my team through tough times?

How many UT/VT fans around here actually graduated from those schools?

For me, I don't give a flying spit who anyone pulls for, so long as they are not a fair weather or bandwagon fan. 

I can't even begin to explain how tired I am of answering the question, "Your Colts are playing your old QB this week. Guess you'll be a Peyton fan this week." No. I won't. I'll pull just as hard against him as I did Andy Dalton, and Tony Romo, and Brady, and Eli, and Flacco and etc and etc and etc. Just because he was my QB does not mean that I'm going to jump ship when my team plays him. 

Peyton will come back to Indy and retire as a Colt. That is when I will pull for him again. Until then, I'll be a Colts fan. 

All that to say, if you like a team, just stay with them. I don't care if you like them because they had a dynasty, because Oregon's uni's are the best in college football, if you dad liked them, if your dad hates them, if your girlfriend/wife is from there, if its on a different continent (raises hand), whatever it may be. Just don't change teams when the going inevitably gets tough.