Graham @ Richlands

BlueRazor

Been waiting on somebody to start this one.

I fully expect this to be a great game. I have been very impressed at what the GMen have done since I seen them in person at our scrimmage. Obviously with both Simon and Mance there.....they were not interested in anything other than getting to line up a run some basic plays and trying kids out that they needed to see in action other than practice.

I suspect the Blues will be anxious to try and get back on the winning side of the scoreboard and the GMen will be excited about trying to give the Blues a second loss in a row.

Richlands is just too big, too fast, and too deep for Graham this year.

I will certainly appreciate the kind words that'll pour forth from the respectful Richlands folks in this thread, but this game will not be close, not in terms of final score and not in terms of play. Not to say the talent gap won't close, but give it a couple years.

Richlands-38

Graham-7

Unless the G-Men find a fix for the D-Line getting pushed around this one won't be close. Tazewell pushed Graham's defense all over the field but couldn't finish...Richlands will know how to finish drives. I do have confidence in Coach Palmer to make the defensive line better, just don't think they can stop Richlands.

Richlands 35

Graham 28

Richlands by 10. not enough respect given to Graham on here. the Qb Has thrown 5 td passes in 2 Games. . . But you guys keep thinking that #17 Is all they have. By the end of the season . . If they meet again this would be a dog fight. graham still learning a new offense and defense. Lot of talent on this team. Richlands has the edge right now.

Riclands will win by 20. And #17 is not all Graham has, but if #17 gets the ball 20 times a game compared to the receivers only touching it twice a game maybe if that. You'll never beat these big teams. If the Qb is that good then put the ball in the air more. Richlands is to big to run up the middle 20 times game. I've watched Graham for years and they have a lot of talent you just have to use it.

I am thinking Richlands by several touchdowns.  However, if we don't dial down our defense to suffocate the run in obvious running formations, Graham may find a niche if Palmer jumps in Carlock's wishbone.  Travis Turner utilized his father's T formation to move the chains and change momentum to Union's favor.  Tom Turner won a few championships at Appalachia with it.  Even though I wanted Union off the field, it does bring back the old smash mouth football that some of us around here grew up on.  Kind of like eating soup beans and corn bread now compared to when I was a kid.  Can't get enough of that stuff now.

Riclands will win by 20. And #17 is not all Graham has, but if #17 gets the ball 20 times a game compared to the receivers only touching it twice a game maybe if that. You'll never beat these big teams. If the Qb is that good then put the ball in the air more. Richlands is to big to run up the middle 20 times game. I've watched Graham for years and they have a lot of talent you just have to use it.

17 carried the ball 7 times against Tazewell. If he had gotten it 20 times . . . he would have had 300 to 400 yards. He had 193...

Graham balances the run and pass well.

Didn't read the stat line against Tazewell... But I was at the game and they threw it as much as they needed to. Much of the fourth quarter was spent handing it to the backup rb.

Graham threw 19 passes against Bluefield...

5 TD passes in 2 games speaks for itself, not sure why I'm trying to defend it...I have seen them play, hardly missed a game in 42 years.

Mares and Williams are gone. Palmer has these kids in the right positions and he is using their talent. That being said, I think Richland's would be glad that the are seeing Graham early in the season. Graham will improve as the year goes on.

All of that being said...Richland's size and depth will prove too much. This Graham team is young and has tremendous upside. 8 and 2 or 7 and 3 is not out of the question...even with the tough schedule.

Can't wait to see where they are at at the end of the season.

Have been anxious to see this one. Graham beat Gretna and Glenvar in scrimmages? sounded like they gave Bluefield a good battle. Better come out hungary to get better.   I am glad we have played who we have, it should be very clear what we need to work on and sounds like Graham could be a test.  Its fun to watch a team grow thru the season.  Richlands by playoff time will be fun to see. 

These coaches have a way of finding the strengths and fixing the weaknesses.   Big thing right now is put the points on the board when you have the opportunity, whatever it takes don't let them get away.

Graham has a ton of speed. We all know that is the great equalizer. Graham has not had pride or heart for a while. Palmer has changed the culture and is restoring the pride. They may go and 2. And make a deep playoff run. Or they may go 6 and 4 and be one and done. But one thing is for sure... G men football is making a comeback and i foresee them in the thick of things sooner than later.

Well,  I know I have respect for this Graham team,  but I try to always give the Blues opponents respect.......at least until they show they don't deserve it.  I think Graham deserves it by the way they have played in the pre-season and their first 2 games !

Whether it was a scrimmage or not,  to play Glenvar like they did and then turn around and play Bluefield in their 1st game the way they did shows me they deserve to be taken very seriously.

They have speed and any time a team has speed it scares me.  I think the Blues will win this game,  but it has the possibility of being closer than what some think.

I just can't decide on a score,  because I think this game could go one of 2 different ways.

If the Blues come out with a hangover from last weeks game and are not on top of their game,   they could be in for a real dogfight,  but if the Blues take Graham as seriously as they did Union and clean up the turnovers and penalties,  then the Blues will pull away in the 2nd half.

Coach Mance is usually very good at making sure that the Blues don't overlook any team, he always stresses ONE game at a time so I don't think he will let them have any kind of hangover !

As a Blues fan,  I hope we come out and dominate them,  I think we have a team that is capable of doing that,  but for some reason this game has me nervous.  

This Graham team is very much improved...just not sure they can handle a big strong offensive line yet. I do know that Coach Palmer will have them ready and he and his staff do a good job making adjustments when they need to. Can't wait to see what happens Friday night!

Bottom line is it all rests on Richlands defense.  Stop runs and hang with the receivers and they can shutdown Graham on offense.  Graham's defense can't stop much from what I saw and speed around the end seemed to be the weakness.  Richlands will take it because of being complete on both sides but do expect it to be a tough one.

Cousins may not be the only weapon but he is the hinge pin that make the offense work. With out his threat the offense sputters. He runs hard and fights for extra yards. Fighting for those extra yards may mean a beating against Richlands(they will hit him harder than both Bluefield and Tazewell). Would like to see a competitive game but just don't see it happening.

Richlands just has to many weapons this year I believe. Very physical with good size and the most overall team speed I've seen in many years and maybe ever. Asbury proved to me what many of us wondered the most about him.....can he take a hit and get back up and get the job done afterwards? Well I believe that he answered that with a big yes against Union. They roughed him up several times and he got up every time like it never happened. That was very important to see his mental and physical toughness because he really is a pocket passer.

I still have not figured out why Landon Lowes number was not called but one time against the Bears but expect to see him get more touches against Graham which should open up several more options for us. I also expect Nicks carries will be way down and probably more around the 20 carry range instead of the 38 or so carries against the Bears. I expect to see a whole lot of the wide open four and five reciever formations against Graham.

Defensively I think our Defensive ends need to be better and I think they will. Wade and Addison are just as good as they come around here. Holmes and Alley both had great games Friday Night and expect nothing different in this one. Our defensive backs played about as good as they could but Gavin and Mitchell are just amazingly gifted.

Overall I think our team will improve each week and just get better. Fix the nervous kicker and the turnovers and this bunch will be tough to handle.

Don't know enough about Graham to elaborate about them but they obviously believe in Coach Palmer and that's a great start. They will be physical and not afraid of the Blues and anxious to play us. Can't wait to watch this #17 that has been mentioned here. I just think we have to many weapons this year.

Richlands-45

Graham-21

Agree with several points you made Razor !  Asbury proved a lot to me,  yes he made a couple of mistakes that hurt,  but he is still a young QB that is finding his way and learning to read defenses,  but he did prove to be able to take a hit and also the ability to make a mistake but shake it off and go on to the next play.  The 2nd is big because as a young QB,  he is going to make mistakes so he needs to be able to forget that and move on to the next play,  and he did that !  He will get better as he goes on !

I also wondered why Lowe didn't get the ball more,  he is such a good athlete and soooo hard to bring down when he has the ball,  and has good hands to be so big.  That play they ran for him early was there to be had again but the ball was never thrown to him again,  and why they didn't run him when they were inside the 5,  but hey, coach Mance forgot more football than I will ever know and there could be reasons that I have no idea about.

"Nervous Kicker" is exactly the way I would describe him.  Watching him during warm ups,  it's clear he has the leg to make the kicks that he is missing, but when he gets into the game,  he seems to get nervous and then tries to over kick the ball instead of relaxing and just doing what comes natural and trusting his leg.

Hopefully,  he will settle down and be fine.  I think he may just be be trying too hard.  I'm sure Tarter will continue to work with him and get him where we need him to be.  He doesn't need to be a 40 yard field goal kicker for this team,  just make the extra points, and make the 20 to 25 yarder when called on.   He just needs to settle down and not try so hard, he doesn't need to be great.........just consistent,  although great would be nice.....lol !