GC Basketball

LongTimeSWVAFan

Beware the Richlands "Dream Team"...

Could be a slow start for them. Most of them are on the football team, and if we make that deep run to Salem (I think we have a good shot at it), then it may be a slow start for them. But they should have a wonderful team.

I'd be shocked if Richlands was very good. The two best teams in far SWVA are Gate City and Union. Union drilled Richlands last year and the Bears return everybody off that team. The Blues do get the benfit of playing in a horrible conference that neither GC or Union will get.

I'd be shocked if Richlands was very good. The two best teams in far SWVA are Gate City and Union. Union drilled Richlands last year and the Bears return everybody off that team. The Blues do get the benfit of playing in a horrible conference that neither GC or Union will get.

That was a Richlands team last year having 70% of their players being sophomores. They are juniors now. And you're adding in Howie I believe. If you think they won't be very good, you may be surprised.

@LongtimeSWVAFan According to MaxPreps it was a 14 point loss. Not quite the "drilling" I was expecting prior to looking the score up. (Assumed 25+). Union did have a great team last year and with everyone back only look to make a deep run into March. 

Secondly, if memory serves me correctly, Conference 39 (The weak conference) had two teams in the region semi-finals. I do not think Conference 40 had anyone? Someone correct me if I am wrong. Graham-Martinsville and Dan River-Grundy. Graham had Mville beat but lost it on the last two minutes. 

Va High was a joke last year and only made it because Barry Reed worked the other Ads in the league. He basically manipulated the system to get his team in, they didn't play everybody in the league twice and for some reason the other Ads went along with it. Props to Barry for getting in the 2A west tournament.

That was a Richlands team last year having 70% of their players being sophomores. They are juniors now. And you're adding in Howie I believe. If you think they won't be very good, you may be surprised.

I didn't realize Howie played basketball too. His athleticism alone should be a big boost. I'm still picking Gate City from 39 and 40 and Union second. The extra practice time for GC should be benefitial.

Gate City is returning a ton of experience, but their best player or two may be underclassmen in McClung and Ervin. Union hardly lost anything from last year, and Mitchell is poised for a strong sophomore season. GC and Union should produce some really fun matchups in the CMC. Don't count out VA High, but it should be between GC and Union.

In C-39 I expect Richlands to run away with. Like Ryan said, Richlands returns pretty much everyone from a solid team last year.  I think far SWVA will catch up this year, but we're still going to have a hard time beating Martinsville if any of us wants to win the region. They've been so strong the last few years and return 5 seniors. 

Gate City is returning a ton of experience, but their best player or two may be underclassmen in McClung and Ervin. Union hardly lost anything from last year, and Mitchell is poised for a strong sophomore season. GC and Union should produce some really fun matchups in the CMC. Don't count out VA High, but it should be between GC and Union.

In C-39 I expect Richlands to run away with. Like Ryan said, Richlands returns pretty much everyone from a solid team last year.  I think far SWVA will catch up this year, but we're still going to have a hard time beating Martinsville if any of us wants to win the region. They've been so strong the last few years and return 5 seniors. 

I hope you keep overlooking Ridgeview. Because if you do you'll be in for a BIG SUPRIZE . They can play with anybody around.

I hope you keep overlooking Ridgeview. Because if you do you'll be in for a BIG SUPRIZE . They can play with anybody around.

I'm definitely not overlooking anyone. Heck, GC hasn't even had a scrimmage yet. I didn't mention Ridgeview specially just because, well they've never played a game together. They're a complete unknown as far as I'm concerned. The only thing I know for sure is that RIdgeview basketball has a very nice gym to play in. Best of luck to you guys. 

BIG DIFFERENCE 

Between A and AA

Ridgeview will be very good, but they will discover that there is a big difference in advancing in the playoffs in AA. However, I do think they will have one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the region in AA. 

This is no offense to Single A at all, I've coached in both divisions, in AA the competition out East and I would argue right here in our own back yard is much better at the AA level. Sure some A schools can consistently compete with AA, my comments are in regards to a general observation regarding both A and AA.

Who does Ridgview have that will make them competitive? Clintwood was not exactly a basketball powerhouse and Haysi has been down the last 2 to 3 years. Gate City, Union, and John Battle should be at the top of the district this year.

On the boys side I think it will be mainly kids from Haysi with the Sutherland kid being there probable top player. I am unsure what Clintwood brings to the table this season

On the girls side Ridgeview will be very good and with GC and Central in the same district the CMD might be the best Girls Basketball district in the state (They may have been the best in the state before this season)

I didn't ever get back to many Haysi basketball games, so I probably won't get back to too many Ridgeview games either.  I'm not sure what the boys team will be like... I suspect the girls team should be very good though with key components of the defending 1A state champs on the roster.  Living in Bristol now, at least I should be able to get to quite a few away games being in a new conference at least... (Gate City, Lebanon, Battle)

Who does Ridgview have that will make them competitive? Clintwood was not exactly a basketball powerhouse and Haysi has been down the last 2 to 3 years. Gate City, Union, and John Battle should be at the top of the district this year.

you're right how could we play with gc union or battle we couldn't in football what makes us think we can in basketball