GC Basketball

LongTimeSWVAFan

You can basically pencil GC in as one of the two regional teams every year. Everybody else is playing for one spot.

I hate this type of thinking. Sure GC has had a ton of basketball success across SWVA over the last 15-20 years, but that doesn't mean anything is guaranteed. This type of attitude is what gets you beat. It took an incredible game versus Union last year for GC to make it out of the conference. 

I hate this type of thinking. Sure GC has had a ton of basketball success across SWVA over the last 15-20 years, but that doesn't mean anything is guaranteed. This type of attitude is what gets you beat. It took an incredible game versus Union last year for GC to make it out of the conference.

When is the last time GC didn't make regional play in boys basketball? Facts are facts.

I'm glad to see Richlands has Union on the schedule this season. If we are going to be half as good as we can be, we need to be playing the tough teams. I think we have that more this year with series against Auburn, Bluefield, and Union.

Richlands schedule last year was much more difficult. They added Auburn (A division 1 team) and Union but dropped Radford, PikeView, and Greater Beckley Christian. They played Bluefield last year as well. 

Game for game this years schedule is weaker but is still a pretty stout schedule. 

Richlands schedule last year was much more difficult. They added Auburn (A division 1 team) and Union but dropped Radford, PikeView, and Greater Beckley Christian. They played Bluefield last year as well.

Game for game this years schedule is weaker but is still a pretty stout schedule.

GBC was in a tournament, if I remember correctly, so that's not entirely their fault. I think Union is a major improvement over PikeView. And I don't know enough Auburn to know if it was worth the drop of Raddy.

I think this year, the Union game is a great addition but last year PikeView was a solid team. (They lost to Bluefield by 2 and 6 points). I would say they just swapped a good team with a good team. 

To clarify, Richlands added Chilhowie, Union, Marion and Auburn and dropped Radford, PikeView, and the Va High Tournament. 

Galax took half the season to round into form last year but once they did, it was fun to watch.  Galax, Honaker and Radford were all very good teams.  I am not sure what Honaker lost but Radford and Galax lost a ton.  Radford returns two very good players in Finley and Grant.  Galax lost the entire starting five plus a key contributor.  Galax may struggle this year unless they have something I am not aware of.

Would like to see the GC game tonight against Daniel Boone. Not sure what they have but it should be a decent measuring stick as to how much these boys have improved since the benefit game against Honaker.

The girls team should be solid this year as well. Hope my shift work allows me to catch a few games.

If anyone is at the game tonight at GC if you would be so kind to post an occasional update I for one would appreciate it.

I just saw your post RiverRat so I'm way late. GC won 76-63. It was 45-40 at the half. Our offense is stout, but we definitely need to improve on the defensive side. We played more zone last night than I think we've played in the past several years combined. GC is definitely athletic and fun to watch.

I looked everywhere last night and couldn't find the score anywhere other than the girls game. The news made sure to make it known that the GC girls had lost to a TN school.....but they didn't have anything on KTN online about the guys. Appreciate the update though.

Anyone have a stand out game for GC?

Daniel Boone's girls team was tough. Imagine they will win a bunch of games this year. We lost 37-39. Our girls missed 4 free throws in the final 30 seconds that would have been huge. 

Still think our boy's team is way too sloppy at times. Tons of  talent on that team, but seems we go stretches and do not play as a team. Talent wise, Daniel Boone's team was not in the same league as GC, but they played hard and worked as a team.