Fans from around the area

greatwhitemp36

I thought VA put a stop to noisemakers as well a few years back.  We had a fan that attached a truck air horn to an air tank and would always bring it in.  Mainly for celebration after a score.  But then one year someone said that they were prohibited "inside the stadium"  Always thought it was clever to those sitting outside the stadium with a view that could still sound off their noise.

This year I did notice some things back in the stands and no one ever complained.

I don't have a problem with the band playing, just the fans that think when its 4th and 2 and we really need to get a 1st so let's start yelling and making as much noise as possible...

We have folks with cowbells, air horns, blowing horns, bottles of rocks or beads, a guy with a megaphone(it's not too loud though), and a guy with some sort of air horn setup on a piece of plywood. One guy has a contraption that I refer to as "Thor's Hammer". It literally looks like the one from the Marvel movies. He uses both hands to swing it and it sounds like some kind of ungodly cowbell. A student brought a piece of tin and stick to beat it with at the Richlands game.

I don't recall anything ever being said about any of this stuff. Don't have a clue what rules there are if any regarding its use.

When Stuart's Draft came down in 2012 they did complain about the band playing because they ran a no huddle offense where the coach would yell the play in while they at the line in formation.

Once everyone realized about the band we made so much noise that the QB could not hear the coach from the sideline. They got a couple of delay of games and had to use 2 timeouts until they adjusted to the noise.

We did the same thing to Letcher two weeks ago at their place. Caused some false starts and delay of games. I believe they were not prepared whatsoever for how loud Union's fans were. They were pretty quiet.

Im a huge fan of jugs full of rocks/pennies, clappers, cowbells and such but I do take exception to mechanical noise makers, i.e. airhorns, train horns and bullhorns. I just dont see it as a part of a fans excitement as much as 1-2 fans effort to have a negative impact on the game. Not saying the horns are necessarily negative if used correctly(after big plays, scores, turnovers, etc) but the potential is there(use them to cause false starts, blare them wide open while other teams are in the offensive huddle, etc.) .

Im just loud so im gonna yell and maybe shake a jug of pennies

Totally agree

i had the (mis)fortune of sitting among the Floyd fans when they played at Chilhowie about 15 years ago, was doing a little unofficial scouting for the next week's game. They had the plastic milk jugs filled with gravel, or dried beans or something they shook the entire game. I think my head still rattles... but that's another story :)

i had the (mis)fortune of sitting among the Floyd fans when they played at Chilhowie about 15 years ago, was doing a little unofficial scouting for the next week's game. They had the plastic milk jugs filled with gravel, or dried beans or something they shook the entire game. I think my head still rattles... but that's another story :)

Sound like us last year at GC for the playoffs? ;)

Now a airhorn being controlled by someone in the press box that is associated with the school and is responsible would be completely fine with me. Haysi developed a custom of playing sound clips between plays, especially on Defensive 3rd downs(the Jaws theme, Halloween theme, bells tolling, etc) that has been carried over at Ridgeview with a wolf howl after big plays and on 3rd downs. Not fans, but part of the atmosphere of the place. 

I'd like to see Giles vs Gate City. I haven't heard the horn that GC blows but the one at Giles is right! They brought it to Mitchell Stadium when they played Graham and I say you could probably here it all throughout Bluefield. People complain about it but I love it, especially when they blow it for the entrance! Hopefully Ridgeviews offense can keep from having 3rd down, because that when Giles blows it to pump their defense up

Kentucky has a whole different set of rules than Virginia. Learned about that at Middlesboro and was reminded the other week at Letcher. Band can only play during timeouts, between quarters, and very quickly after a score. As soon as the ball is set for play the band has to stop.

And they announced there was to be no artificial noisemakers. So, no air horns, megaphones, sound horns (that you blow), clappers, etc...

And our fans gave them cowbells and horns 3/4 the game.

Union has the best fans ever ðŸ‘👌🙌

Im a huge fan of jugs full of rocks/pennies, clappers, cowbells and such but I do take exception to mechanical noise makers, i.e. airhorns, train horns and bullhorns. I just dont see it as a part of a fans excitement as much as 1-2 fans effort to have a negative impact on the game. Not saying the horns are necessarily negative if used correctly(after big plays, scores, turnovers, etc) but the potential is there(use them to cause false starts, blare them wide open while other teams are in the offensive huddle, etc.) .

Im just loud so im gonna yell and maybe shake a jug of pennies

Like the infamous GC train horn haha

The horn at Giles couldn't touch the old Cannonball we used to have. You could hear that thing coming through Moccasin Gap while you were sitting in the stadium. I don't understand the "no noisemaker" BS. You're at a sporting event where the object as a fan is to make noise. I do know for a fact though, that Salem Stadium won't allow cowbells and airhorns in during the state championship games. However we did have a "rebel" sneak in with one and thankfully it was used well at the end of the game.