Consolidated schools support

HaysiHigh1969

I realize that Ridgeview is a few miles from Haysi and Clintwood but especially at playoff time in both towns every marquee and storefront window would have signs voicing support for the teams. It's just not there this year, one bank in Clintwood has a go Wolfpack sign, nothing in Haysi. Was that the case in other consolidated schools towns?

Signs EVERYWHERE for PV and Appy in the 80s and 90s. Saw very little in the years before consolidation. However, Union stuff everywhere now. Maybe not so much signs in business, but on vehicles and attire. Definitely more fans at the games than either PV or Appy at the end.

Don't have a clue about Central or Eastside.

For the first time in a long while, the signs and support have started to re-appear in Abingdon.

As to the consolidation issue....I believe that both communities will come on board for support after a little while.....it sometimes takes a little getting used to the new dynamic.

City of Raven, you are correct in your statement that the overall support for HS Football isn't what it used to be.  I've had this conversation many times with my peers.  Back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's,  Friday night football WAS the social event for people.....small towns in particular. 

With the advances in technology, many people, especially students not involved in the band or other sports, found other means to entertain themselves on Friday night.  Gradually, this has resulted in smaller crowds (generally speaking) and less interest in the game. 

To me, HS football still offers a great entertainment value and opportunity.  I know that everyone on this board loves it.  Why can't the rest of the world see what we are seeing??   :) :)

I know Bland Co has a lot of Bear pride stuff supporting them.  Of course there isn't a lot of stores in Bland...

Tazewell and Richlands are the ones thatI say have the most support from what I've seen.  Even in down years there are still lots of places supporting the Bulldogs.  Richlands always looks like a tornado went through with their propaganda.  Seems like used to see a lot of Grundy stuff but with the town "disappearing', seems like the support has as well.  

I have always wondered why I don't see the same level of support for Graham.   Bulldog and Tornado signs everywhere but not so much for the G-Men.  Maybe used to be different, but what I have noticed since I took interest in football... 

I can remember as a kid in Fries, the storefronts would be painted some form of red, white and black with paw prints everywhere.  The pride that surrounded sports in that small town didn't transfer to Grayson County.  

I miss the Fries of my youth!

I feel I should elaborate a bit.  

Hillsville and Woodlawn consolidated in 1969, creating Carroll County High.  This had an affect on every school in the "Twin County area".  Fries, Galax, and Independence remained for another 19 years without change.  Most kids attended school based on previously agreed upon bus routing regardless of residence.  Fries and Galax are both divided down the middle by the Carroll Grayson border.  Kids living near the town of Fries were assumed to go to Fries regardless of county of residence.  The community even had two "Intermediate" schools, Providence in Grayson County and Vaughan in Carroll County.  Every single one of those students would eventually go to Fries even though half would come from Carroll and half would come from Grayson with Fries being a Grayson County school.

Similar things with Independence, Carroll County and Galax.  Kids who lived in Grayson County but lived close to Galax city schools would go to Galax.  Kids that lived in Carroll County but close to Galax schools would attend Galax.  When Fries closed and Grayson came to be in 1988, Grayson and Carroll began busing kids from the entire county.  The kids in the outlying communities of the Galax city limits were now being bused to their respective county high schools. 

Consolidation seems to have been more political here than in many other areas.  It was never as simple as county resident goes to county school, city resident goes to city school.  It is still a source of butthurt for many, especially now that Galax is a top flite athletic program.  Folks in Grayson and Carroll are becoming more and more vocal about Galax "stealing" county kids for athletic success.

Typically it seems like town support didn't really get cranked up until a little later in the playoffs, 2nd round and later.

Ive probably asked this before sixcat, but with the closeness of the 3 school systems why don't Carroll, Grayson and Galax just form a regional school system? Carroll could downsize to 3A, Galax could upsize to 2A and Grayson could hold steady in 2A and all 3 could be in the same district. Does this just make too much sense??? Especially with the situation in Grayson

UVAO added some interesting insight into that a few days ago in another thread.  He may be able to offer better insight than I.  Galax is an independent city operating entirely unto itself.  Esentially, Galax could be considered a very small county.  Admittedly, I don't completely understand the ins and outs of it all but that is a "nutshell" compilation. 

There was some talk in the 2ish year period around Fries closing, maybe 1986-1988, that Galax, Carroll and Grayson would build a large, regional high school to serve all.  I was in my early teens at the time but I remember the conversation surrounding such a proposal.  Luckily for this community, that didn't happen.  The proposed "Twin County Regional High" would have housed some 2,000+ kids which would make the current Abingdon and Carroll situations look attractive.  I don't think that was ever a real alternative.  More of a "scare" tactic to get all sides to the negotiating table.  Hell, for all I know, it could have been fantasy.  I was 13 years old!  But, It was a powder keg for a two year period locally.

I do believe regional partnerships provide the best for the citizens of SWVA, no matter what part of SWVA you happen to be in.  A "regional" partnership for the sake of our students would alleviate Carroll's problems of being on an island enrollment wise.  A centralized administration would also be a positive for Grayson, who has struggled to find competent leadership for two decades.  Grayson hired a new superintendent Monday from Craig County schools.  He is from Wythe County originally and is familiar with the area.  There are a lot of things going on from a political standpoint in this area that could be very good or very bad, depending on the direction taken.  Carroll just lost the county administrator to another locality, who is a very impressive man.  No matter who they chose to replace him, it's a loss for this community.  

Personally I think and like you said Redtiger, it makes too much sense for the powers that be to discuss. 

I have always wondered why I don't see the same level of support for Graham. Bulldog and Tornado signs everywhere but not so much for the G-Men. Maybe used to be different, but what I have noticed since I took interest in football...

Maybe not as much for Graham in businesses due to customers over from the WV side? Don't want to turn away a Bluefield customer because they aren't going to support graham during football season?

You brought up a good point and I'm just speculating.

Typically it seems like town support didn't really get cranked up until a little later in the playoffs, 2nd round and later.

Ive probably asked this before sixcat, but with the closeness of the 3 school systems why don't Carroll, Grayson and Galax just form a regional school system? Carroll could downsize to 3A, Galax could upsize to 2A and Grayson could hold steady in 2A and all 3 could be in the same district. Does this just make too much sense??? Especially with the situation in Grayson

I think like anything else there are a lot of bandwagon fans as well.  Always happy to hop on and support when the team is doing well but like a ghost town when times are rough.  I say that about everywhere, not just singling out any one place.  Some just seem to be worse than others.  With that said, does the consolidated school have a winning tradition?  Has there been enough time lapsed to get the fence riders over to the new side?  My thoughts, if Ridgeview turns into a strong power house look for the fan support to fill everywhere in sight. 

I think like anything else there are a lot of bandwagon fans as well.  Always happy to hop on and support when the team is doing well but like a ghost town when times are rough. 

So, you have spent some time in Galax.  Perfect description!

With that said, does the consolidated school have a winning tradition?  

Traditionally, I think Lee is the only one that really hit the ground running.  Grayson did for a very brief period between 1988 and 1993 but that was strictly based on the influx of athletes it received from Fries.  Several All-State players in various sports and a few State Players of the Year in those early years of Grayson County High School, all but one from Fries! 

stu_bean, I think for Haysi the late arrival of support(2nd round) was a product of Haysi making the playoffs so often. Haysi made the playoffs well over 20 times from 1979-2014. 19 BDD titles with playoff appearances and numerous at large bids. Making the playoffs wasnt a big deal for Haysi, playing for Region was.

sixcat, now that were talking about it I think we have discussed this before. I was thinking more along the lines of 1 united school board with 2-3 members each from Carroll, Grayson and Galax with 3 high schools. I am of the opinion that regional school systems are a much better fit for SWVA than th county based setup that we currently have

All this talk is exactly why I hope "Taxwell" county doesn't consolidate,  I love the home town feel and the fact that my grandparents went to Richlands, my parents went to Richlands and I went to Richlands.  But I know that more than likely one day our county will consolidate,  when and how that will happen I don't know,  but that is the trend now days.

All this talk is exactly why I hope "Taxwell" county doesn't consolidate,  I love the home town feel and the fact that my grandparents went to Richlands, my parents went to Richlands and I went to Richlands.  But I know that more than likely one day our county will consolidate,  when and how that will happen I don't know,  but that is the trend now days.

Bigrhsfan,

I agree with you about consolidation....especially a 1 county high school, regardless of the county.  When looking at Carroll and Franklin County, it is easy to see the disadvantages of a centralized high school.  I guess it has worked ok for Pulaski County....most of the folks I've known that attended Pulaski didn't live a tremendous distance from the school.

Money, or the lack thereof, sometimes makes 1 large county school the best option but I don't believe that those situations are in the best interest of all the students.  Merging of 2 schools within reasonable proximity makes financial sense in many cases. Even if we don't like it, the trend to consolidate smaller schools together will continue....the powers just don't want to or are unable to justify duplicate operating expenses.  

Maybe not as much for Graham in businesses due to customers over from the WV side? Don't want to turn away a Bluefield customer because they aren't going to support graham during football season?

You brought up a good point and I'm just speculating.

I have heard this very reason from the mouth of more than 1 business owner...

I know once upon a time there was at least talk of when consolidation happens in Taz Co that there would have to still be two.  East and West is what was said.  I know none of the current high schools could support the numbers that would come by combining all three.  Don't know if that was just a pipe dream or something they would still look at.

IF that were to ever happen, I think Graham and Richlands fans would still follow their east/west school but how would Tazewell people support it?  I know for me I Physically would be on the East side but still would have a tough time supporting either school since it isn't Tazewell.  What makes it even more difficult is that since my kids are home schooled there would be no attachment anymore.   How do residents of the Pocahontas region feel on supporting athletics.  I know a lot came to Tazewell and some went to Graham originally, but what about now?

I have heard this very reason from the mouth of more than 1 business owner...

Still a poor excuse I think.  As anyone who knows me well can attest for my dislike of Richlands, it doesn't stop me from going into a store down there just because they have blue tornado signs up.  I think its great that they get behind their team and show their support.  Kind of the same thing as being politically correct in my book.