Classification appeals tomorrow.

futbolking

Narrows to the Pioneer going to a vote. Lets voluntarily double our travel budget? Somebody isn't getting paid for their brain appearently.

That is the entirety of the Grayson County argument.  Apparently, the former administration pushed to join the SWD before realizing the travel budget would increase by an estimated 65%.  Former administration in Grayson must have been as bad as all indications suggest.  According to local media, they are still missing several hundred thousand dollars in school resources.  One person has already been convicted and the commonwealth attorney's office may be pursuing charges against others. 

In my opinion, instead of Carroll, Christiansburg and Blacksburg joining the TRD, they should resurrect the old New River District and add Pulaski to those three.  Let the Roanoke area schools make up the River Ridge and Blue Ridge.  Alleghany has complained about their lot in life for two decades.  Byrd is caught up in Roanoke County politics.  That's not going to change and their numbers will fluctuate because of it.

The new look MED and TRD could easily be turned into an entirely 1A and 2A district.  Put Grayson in the TRD and move Auburn to the MED and all member schools will make up the same division.

MED                                             TRD                                        New River District

Auburn                                         Floyd                                       Christiansburg

Bland                                           James River                            Blacksburg

Fort Chiswell                               Giles                                         Carroll

Galax                                          Glenvar                                     Pulaski

George Wythe                            Radford

Rural Retreat                              Grayson

But, as is with most things involving VHSL, common sense will be absent from the equation.

sixcat, how is Graysons stadium coming along?

The stands look good.  In fact, I would say they look fantastic.  The community has rallied around the school to help and it shows.  

Now, if they could just do something about that grass!  The decision to put down bermuda when the Turf Management program at Virginia Tech and a local licensed professional engineer both told them it was a foolish idea, was just that, a foolish idea. The field doesn't get enough sunlight throughout the day to keep bermuda healthy.  That hillside and tree cover keep the field shaded all but just a couple of hours per day.  It looks absolutely horrible.

Narrows to the Pioneer going to a vote. Lets voluntarily double our travel budget? Somebody isn't getting paid for their brain appearently.

i got an idea....how bout we go together and make one High School in this county instead of 2....that would cut down a lot around here

The stands look good.  In fact, I would say they look fantastic.  The community has rallied around the school to help and it shows.  

Now, if they could just do something about that grass!  The decision to put down bermuda when the Turf Management program at Virginia Tech and a local licensed professional engineer both told them it was a foolish idea, was just that, a foolish idea. The field doesn't get enough sunlight throughout the day to keep bermuda healthy.  That hillside and tree cover keep the field shaded all but just a couple of hours per day.  It looks absolutely horrible.

Thats really good to hear.  I saw it in the background of a picture Israel O'Quinn tweeted a week or so ago and thought it looked good but maybe still had some work to do to be completed but wasnt sure.  

Thats really good to hear.  I saw it in the background of a picture Israel O'Quinn tweeted a week or so ago and thought it looked good but maybe still had some work to do to be completed but wasnt sure.  

They have been working diligently to get the work completed.  It will be a down-to-the-wire timeline but one I believe they can achieve.  The new superintendent seems much more capable of generating community support and fosters a sense of pride that SWVA is famous for within its school districts.  That has been lacking in Grayson County for quite some time.  The previous two superintendents were terribly divisive.

On that note, Grayson has hired John Ayers as the new boys basketball coach.  I, for one, couldn't applaud the move more.  Great person and equally great coach.  He was the varsity boys coach at Grayson in the 90's and influenced my brother in ways that can't be described in this space.

I feel like I am thread jacking a bit here and this thread has gotten off topic somewhat.  I only mention the basketball coach in an effort to show how the new administration seems intent on bringing back the community driven support that was once here.

Tell me where I'm wrong Oh Message Board Genius

Eh, the whole "cellar dweller" thing is a little unfair. Since '08 they've only finished in the bottom half of district standings twice (2010 in the SWD, and last year in the Hogo). Four out of the previous five seasons they've either won, or finished second in district standings. Plus we're just one year removed from them being the reigning Hogo Champs, with victories over both the Mountain and SWD Champions.

Are they worldbeaters? No, but after a bad season, we seem pretty quick to forget that they've had a fairly respectable football team over the past few years.

Eh, the whole "cellar dweller" thing is a little unfair. Since '08 they've only finished in the bottom half of district standings twice (2010 in the SWD, and last year in the Hogo). Four out of the previous five seasons they've either won, or finished second in district standings. Plus we're just one year removed from them being the reigning Hogo Champs, with victories over both the Mountain and SWD Champions.

Are they worldbeaters? No, but after a bad season, we seem pretty quick to forget that they've had a fairly respectable football team over the past few years.

Fair enough but why leave the SWD in the first place?

Thank you for taking the time, usually I don't respond to ....

Fair enough but why leave the SWD in the first place?

Shortest trip in the SWD was a thirty minute drive, longest in the Hogo was twenty five. Gate revenue from the out of district Hogo games were better than the in district games in the SWD. They anticipated increases in gates from the Chilhowie, Northwood, and George Wythe rivalries once those games "meant something." All that within a school district that hasn't given their teachers a cost of living pay raise in a decade and has closed two schools in the last three years because they can't afford to keep them open/make the improvements necessary to keep them from being condemned.

At least that's the reasoning that the VHSL used to approve their switch after it had previously been denied.

Thank you for taking the time, usually I don't respond to ....

It's always great to know when someone thinks their better than you and to know they are wrong. 

Shortest trip in the SWD was a thirty minute drive, longest in the Hogo was twenty five. Gate revenue from the out of district Hogo games were better than the in district games in the SWD. They anticipated increases in gates from the Chilhowie, Northwood, and George Wythe rivalries once those games "meant something." All that within a school district that hasn't given their teachers a cost of living pay raise in a decade and has closed two schools in the last three years because they can't afford to keep them open/make the improvements necessary to keep them from being condemned.

At least that's the reasoning that the VHSL used to approve their switch after it had previously been denied.

Then why rejoin the SWD?

Then why rejoin the SWD?

That's a very good question that I don't know the answer to. It's certainly not to fill the trophy case; they won a lot more titles in the Hogo than SWD, but if I were to provide some conjecture:

A) Gate profits didn't increase. The increased revenue from Chilhowie and GW couldn't make up for the lack revenue from playing Holston and PH instead of Richlands and Graham.

B) Political pressure from GW and RR leaving. Being the only 2A team in a 1A district is harder to defend when 2 of the other 4 teams are under 250 students.

C (and this one's the interesting one) Marion's principal is the chairman of the 2A West region. Maybe he knows something about the new playoff structure that we don't, i.e. the return of a postseason district tournament?

The new look MED and TRD could easily be turned into an entirely 1A and 2A district.  Put Grayson in the TRD and move Auburn to the MED and all member schools will make up the same division.

This was the whole point of blowing up the MED the summer of '94 after Radford dropped down from AA and Glenvar wanted out of the Pioneer.  MED would have been Narrows, Bland, Rocky Gap, Shawsville, Auburn, and Galax.  TRD would be Giles, Radford, Glenvar, Grayson, Fort, Floyd.  MED would have been stricltly Div 1 and TRD Div 2 but there was some panties wadded up about travel coming from Grayson I know and from some others as well.   It's been off kilter ever since. 

Retweeted Eliza Evans (@sportslady): VHSL approved Abingdon's request to move to the Mountain District starting with the 2017-18 season. ‪#‎VHSL‬ ‪#‎CoalfieldFB‬

Hmmmm

You seem agitated by this?

One of the best regions from top to bottom, granted gc, union, and Ridgeview are currently dragging lee and central along.

You seem agitated by this?

One of the best regions from top to bottom, granted gc, union, and Ridgeview are currently dragging lee and central along.

Not agitated.  Curious as to why?  Interested in the dynamic.  But not agitated.  I guess it really doesn't matter overall as to which district Abingdon is in.  Being the only 3A school this far southwest.

This was the whole point of blowing up the MED the summer of '94 after Radford dropped down from AA and Glenvar wanted out of the Pioneer.  MED would have been Narrows, Bland, Rocky Gap, Shawsville, Auburn, and Galax.  TRD would be Giles, Radford, Glenvar, Grayson, Fort, Floyd.  MED would have been stricltly Div 1 and TRD Div 2 but there was some panties wadded up about travel coming from Grayson I know and from some others as well.   It's been off kilter ever since. 

Join forces with big brother up the road and you won't have to keep running from the likes of Radford