Richlands @ Abingdon

Ryan4VT

I would like to see Graham, Richlands or Union win 2A, but I just thought it was interesting that all you G Men fans were on here bashing Hurley over their schedule and Graham finishes up with 5 1A schools.

We can't help the district we play in, you ding-dong. And even so, those single-A teams all have winning records. It's not like we're playing 1-9 East Bumfart, KY like Hurley does every single season.

It's amusing.  When you become a winning team how others will try to diminish your success with verbiage. 

I am so happy others are having so much success this year, it means there talking less about us.

Howie should be in that mix of touches out of the back field. Have to be able to play take what is given.

UVAObserver, why can't you help it? All you have to do is get out of that 1A district, tighten up your shoe laces and play the big boys.

Yeah, because teams get to pick what division/district they're in right?

I'm not sure you really understand how the playoff points system really works? It doesn't matter if you play a 2A, 3A, etc. if they don't win games it doesn't benefit you any.

So far Hurley's opponents that they have beat are averaging 3 wins per game.

First thing, I think Graham has a good shot at winning 2A and hope they do, just thought it was odd so many Graham fans were bashing Hurley so much. I am pretty sure Hurley plays no school smaller than they are, and I doubt you can name another school who doesn't

We're not debating the size of the school, we're debating the strength of the schedule.

Paintsville in Kentucky is a fairly small school, but I would put money on them beating probably 90% of the schools in southwest Virginia.

Cloudland in Tennessee used to be another example back in the day.  They're still decent, but are nowhere near as dominant the team they used to be.

Other than Grundy, Hurley hasn't played anyone with a winning record.

First thing, I think Graham has a good shot at winning 2A and hope they do, just thought it was odd so many Graham fans were bashing Hurley so much. I am pretty sure Hurley plays no school smaller than they are, and I doubt you can name another school who doesn't

I honestly hope Hurley wins it all. Coming from Pocahontas I know all about playing bigger schools every week. I always felt like we had plenty of talent to play with other schools but we never had enough depth to hang with them all game. So for Hurley doing what they're doing this year it is impressive. It's amazing for a small school like that to make the playoffs in consecutive years, much less go undefeated.

A few Hurley people anointing theirselves state champions in week 5 or 6 is really what rubbed everyone the wrong way. I'm sure you can trace all the hostility back to that.

Was always curious about situations like this Abingdon vs Richlands game. In no way am i questioning coaching or a players skills. JLA is one of the best passers ive seen in high school. But in games like this where the D is dropping 7-8 in coverage and you cant run the ball do you bring in Brown #2, who is a better runner, for a couple series to see what he might can do. I may be wrong but didnt they rotate Reese and Cody occasionally in 2010?

A few Hurley people anointing theirselves state champions in week 5 or 6 is really what rubbed everyone the wrong way. I'm sure you can trace all the hostility back to that.

No matter how good you think your team is (and they may be the real deal), you cannot assume a state championship.  2 years ago, I attended the 3 and 4A championship game.  In 4A, Salem was matched up with Lake Taylor.  Salem had a really good team but they were no match for Lake Taylor.  

Enter last year and Salem had a lot of seniors to replace and Lake Taylor returned much of their team from the year before.  Salem beat the favored Titans and I will admit that I had penciled in LT as the champions.  

Salem returned much of their state championship team this year and lost to Amherst in the first game.

My point is, even with a TREMENDOUS team, it is very, very difficult to win it all.  Breaks sometimes don't go your way or the underdog team sometimes clicks on all cylinders.  It is a big state and there are quality teams that can win on a given day in every division.

As a side note, I enjoy the participation of everyone on this board.  I get a lot of entertainment/enjoyment from all here who love high school football.

The BDt reported Abingdon had 30 first downs to Richlands' 13. Is that right?

I was at the game and don't think the 30 was correct at all.  Not sure on the 13 either.....don't think Richlands had a first down in the first half (not 100% sure on that)...they moved the ball better in the 2nd half but I was involved watching the game.  

The BDt reported Abingdon had 30 first downs to Richlands' 13. Is that right?

I was at the game and don't think the 30 was correct at all.  Not sure on the 13 either.....don't think Richlands had a first down in the first half (not 100% sure on that)...they moved the ball better in the 2nd half but I was involved watching the game.  

That article game from Allen Gregory with the BHC. Not saying those are correct, but he is usually really good with stats. He posted this on his twitter at the half...

Halftime: Abingdon 10, Richlands 3. Abingdon has 119 yards passing while Richlands has 16 total yards. #hcfh

If you want to destroy some good football schools, consolidate those schools into

One school. The football programs dies a slow death. Great facilities, but no good

Football.

Maybe true with Lee High. Still to be seen with Ridgeview. But the EXACT opposite with Union. Both PV and Appy were already dead. Consolidation was like a kiss from "Prince Charming."

EH31, a few people did get out of hand on that thread that got deleted, I have no idea who they are. Hurley fans know it will be tough to go all the way, we do have a team that could do it, but with George Wythe, Galax, Riverheads and a few more it will be a tough road for them. Best of luck to all Southwest VA teams, maybe we can bring some Trophys our way.

UVAObserver, why can't you help it? All you have to do is get out of that 1A district, tighten up your shoe laces and play the big boys.

We did.... back in Southwest next season...

Where were you when Graham played UP to AA with single A numbers for 40 years????  Graham has never dodged anybody.... they played with 400 to 600 kids against schools with up to 1400 kids, because Graham petitioned the state to PLAY UP... what part of Graham was "forced" to play down don't you understand?

Please read the post I made on the previous page... I specifically made that for you.

It is post #163, please read it.

Yep, Graham needs to tighten up its shoelaces. This explains all the times Graham played Greeneville, Elizabethon, Woodrow Wilson, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, GW-Danville, Princeton, Mount View (back when they were actually competitive), and Tennessee High. This explains why Graham played at AA with A numbers for 25 years.

Graham has tightened up its shoelaces more than any team in SWVA in my lifetime. Period.

All that is aside from the bizarre reasoning that a school can pick its district.

You'd be well advised to refrain from posting on this topic. You have already exposed yourself enough.

Yep, Graham needs to tighten up its shoelaces. This explains all the times Graham played Greeneville, Elizabethon, Woodrow Wilson, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, GW-Danville, Princeton, Mount View (back when they were actually competitive), and Tennessee High. This explains why Graham played at AA with A numbers for 25 years.

Graham has tightened up its shoelaces more than any team in SWVA in my lifetime. Period.

All that is aside from the bizarre reasoning that a school can pick its district.

You'd be well advised to refrain from posting on this topic. You have already exposed yourself enough.

I was about to list those schools, you beat me to it...not to mention the playoff teams they had to face like Jefferson Forrest, Cave Spring (before the split with Hidden Valley, Liberty(Bedford), Harrisonburg....etc...)... you forgot Salem (Twice)....

But they won't play the big boys in "2A"... no, it seems we prefer 3A through 6A.....

Of course he realizes that 2A now is just the upper half of single A back then..... Those "Big Boys" in 2A aren't really that Big...

Maybe true with Lee High. Still to be seen with Ridgeview. But the EXACT opposite with Union. Both PV and Appy were already dead. Consolidation was like a kiss from "Prince Charming."

It is true with Lee. Jonesville and Pennington were good programs. So we're Clintwood and Haysi.

Same at Northwood, with Saltville and Rich Valley.

I say the jury is in on Ridgeview.....RV will be hard pressed to be as good as Cwood & Haysi.

There are more schools that consolidated, with the kiss of death to football.

Look at Holston, formerly Damascus and Liberty Hall. Grayson Co has been trying

To survive after combining Fries and Independence, and Pulaski Co was strong, but not nearly what they were at first after consolidation occured.

Just wait a few years with Union, and you will probably see a big drop off in

The football program if the pattern hits there like at other consolidated schools.

It is true with Lee. Jonesville and Pennington were good programs. So we're Clintwood and Haysi.

Same at Northwood, with Saltville and Rich Valley.

I say the jury is in on Ridgeview.....RV will be hard pressed to be as good as Cwood & Haysi.

There are more schools that consolidated, with the kiss of death to football.

Look at Holston, formerly Damascus and Liberty Hall. Grayson Co has been trying

To survive after combining Fries and Independence, and Pulaski Co was strong, but not nearly what they were at first after consolidation occured.

Just wait a few years with Union, and you will probably see a big drop off in

The football program if the pattern hits there like at other consolidated schools.

There could be a dropoff but it will be awhile. In my opinion and it may seem crazy but the programs that have good teams all have nice ran peanut football programs. Since appy and PV combined their peanut programs that have over 100 kids every year and to me that's the difference in the good and elite programs. I would bet that gate city and Richland's also are well ran.