Richlands @ Abingdon

Ryan4VT

Asbury has sat out the second half of almost every game. He didn't sit against Union, Graham, or Abingdon. I think he played the 3rd quarter against GC and one drive of the 3rd against a couple others. Buts it's not like he's out there up 50 throwing the ball in the 4th quarter.

Justify it how you wish but the truth is there has been plenty of opportunities to work on the run. When you know you're going to blow out a team why pad the passing stats? Use those games to work on your weaknesses. This isn't college football, you don't get style points in the rankings for throwing 7 TD's on Virginia High.

Richlands is a good team and didn't quit.  I wish them well on their playoff run.  For the disgruntled Richlands fans, give Mance a break.  Everyone has off days at work but he is an EXCELLENT COACH.  If you all don't want him, then I'm lobbying Curt Newsome (E&H) to hire him.  You can always find room on your staff for a good coach and he would definitely be a good pickup.  :)   

Coach Mance has certainly had other coaching jobs offers  ...but he's remained loyal to Richlands. Having two sons playing for the Blues until this year certainly was one reason why he stayed.  I'm sure with the bleacher/keyboard coaches on here when/if he does leave...they'll go undefeated every season, if the new coach just inquires/request their expertise.  

A loss is difficult on any winning team including the coaches. 

Even if Richlands had won the game...it takes nothing away from the great game plan Abingdon executed...and hopefully, will  make both teams better in the upcoming playoffs in their respective classification.

I'm always a Blues fan...win or lose. Winning is nicer...however, losing can develop more character and hunger too...

Justify it how you wish but the truth is there has been plenty of opportunities to work on the run. When you know you're going to blow out a team why pad the passing stats? Use those games to work on your weaknesses. This isn't college football, you don't get style points in the rankings for throwing 7 TD's on Virginia High.

What is there to work on? We don't have a running game. I've said that since the start of the season. Every one of our RBs are smaller. Collins and Booker are slot receivers. White is a RB, but he doesn't have the size for tough runs inside.

I love every one of those guys, but we are just a passing team this year. Abingdon had a perfect defensive scheme and it worked. The weather slowed both teams down and Abingdon had the better plan.

What is there to work on? We don't have a running game.

With the size of Richlands' linemen you're telling me that through 2 weeks of scrimmages and 9 regular season games that you're ok with them not having an even decent run game?

No offense to Abingdon but when I watched Graham physically run the ball all over Abingdon I though their defense was so soft that Richlands would name the score on them. Then they stop Richlands from even having 20 yards in a half? That's a real problem going forward.

Overall I would say that Richlands is a better team (not by much) but when it's a rivalry like that anything could happen. Not taking away from the Falcons they are legit and they came with a better game plan. Richlands' cannot control the clock due to not having a run game. if they had a decent run game idk of any team that could stop them. But honestly I don't see them getting past Appo or Dan River right now by just throwing the ball the whole game bc those teams have more speed than the Falcons and are going to use the same game plan. Richlands has multiple receivers but you can look at the stats and if you take Howie out of the scheme of things then you can take down Richlands IMO

I think what happened there was that refs thought the RHS defender had held or PI'd DeSalvo before DeSalvo tackled the defender. Did they call PI or did they call holding on RHS? I can't remember. Either way, I think the refs saw what they thought was a penalty on RHS before the tackle. To me thats the only explanation. The refs huddled for a minute before announcing the call. I'm not saying it was the correct call at all....but we saw the AHS player tackle the defender and that made AHS crowd breath a sigh of relief and the RHS crowd boo when they called it on RHS.

Yeah, it was called DPI. And either that or the fact that they both got their feet tangled just a little before the tackle (which they usually let go) influenced the call and maybe they thought he slipped and fell as a result as opposed to a tackle, but I don't know, it's a reach for me, and the ref was right on top of it as I said. Just blew the call.

With the size of Richlands' linemen you're telling me that through 2 weeks of scrimmages and 9 regular season games that you're ok with them not having an even decent run game?

No offense to Abingdon but when I watched Graham physically run the ball all over Abingdon I though their defense was so soft that Richlands would name the score on them. Then they stop Richlands from even having 20 yards in a half? That's a real problem going forward.

I don't remember Graham really running it OVER Abingdon as much as running it BY Abingdon. Sure, their offensive line was as physical as I've seen this year, and if that's what you're referencing, my bad, but both Cousin and Meade (in particular) was so fast/shifty, they just ran right by Abingdon. Meade may have broken some tackles late on Graham's last drive, but to me it was more of a dropback, designed QB run or no one open, Meade takes off, leaves the front 7 in the dust and jukes out several others on his way to continual first downs.

As for Cousin, AHS had him pretty much bottled up (under 50 yards on the night) except for those 4 long gainers that went for 6. I know it sounds ridiculous for someone who had over 200 yards and 4 TDs, but for the majority of the game, he had nothing going against the Falcons. It's just that when he got 2nd level (again, credit Graham for opening up Monster Truck sized wholes), no Falcon could catch him. Honestly, his performance last year against Abingdon was even better, because he ruled the whole second half.

Overall I would say that Richlands is a better team (not by much) but when it's a rivalry like that anything could happen. Not taking away from the Falcons they are legit and they came with a better game plan. Richlands' cannot control the clock due to not having a run game. if they had a decent run game idk of any team that could stop them. But honestly I don't see them getting past Appo or Dan River right now by just throwing the ball the whole game bc those teams have more speed than the Falcons and are going to use the same game plan. Richlands has multiple receivers but you can look at the stats and if you take Howie out of the scheme of things then you can take down Richlands IMO

Richlands won't play Appo or DR. They will play each other in round 3. Richlands will travel to Graham in round 3.

I like how Union, despite being the potential five seed, is merely an afterthought lol. Its a good thing, its easier bsin the hunter (this season) than the hunted (last year). If anyone else besides Appo gets the #1, it makes anything possible. Just read Amherst lost their QB so there's slim chance of anyone slipping up Appo, but a guy can dream.

(If I'm looking right, in second round if chalk, #5 seed travels to #4 while #8 goes to one on one side while 2 hosts 7 and 3 hosts 6. Then the lowest seed goes to top remaining seed, then follows like that right? Or is it set sides okf a bracket? Say 5 beats 4 but somehow 6-7 beat two or three, would 5 still go to 1 or would the lowest seed go on road to the 1-seed?)

Would Graham not take #1 and Richlands #2 if Appo loses?

Amherst lost their QB for the season a couple weeks ago and have not looked the same. Appo will win that game and finish 10-0.

I actually like the matchup with Graham more than I do Appo. Our line is bigger and more physical than Graham and it showed in the 2nd half of that game.

Not saying Richlands would win, but they stand a better chance than they do against Appo, IMO.

I like how Union, despite being the potential five seed, is merely an afterthought lol. Its a good thing, its easier bsin the hunter (this season) than the hunted (last year). If anyone else besides Appo gets the #1, it makes anything possible. Just read Amherst lost their QB so there's slim chance of anyone slipping up Appo, but a guy can dream.

(If I'm looking right, in second round if chalk, #5 seed travels to #4 while #8 goes to one on one side while 2 hosts 7 and 3 hosts 6. Then the lowest seed goes to top remaining seed, then follows like that right? Or is it set sides okf a bracket? Say 5 beats 4 but somehow 6-7 beat two or three, would 5 still go to 1 or would the lowest seed go on road to the 1-seed?)

5 would still go to 1. They don't reseed or anything. It's a straight bracket like the NCAA tournament.

5 would still go to 1. They don't reseed or anything. It's a straight bracket like the NCAA tournament.

Fuck that's what I thought but wasn't 100%. Beating a 4-seed Dan River on the road seems like a huge task but even if a 5 seed somehow did that, get rewarded with a trip to defending state champ, the 10-0 one seed.

You assholes just couldn't let us win over there earlier this year? Itd have made things way more interesting lol

I don't remember Graham really running it OVER Abingdon as much as running it BY Abingdon. Sure, their offensive line was as physical as I've seen this year, and if that's what you're referencing, my bad, but both Cousin and Meade (in particular) was so fast/shifty, they just ran right by Abingdon. Meade may have broken some tackles late on Graham's last drive, but to me it was more of a dropback, designed QB run or no one open, Meade takes off, leaves the front 7 in the dust and jukes out several others on his way to continual first downs.

As for Cousin, AHS had him pretty much bottled up (under 50 yards on the night) except for those 4 long gainers that went for 6. I know it sounds ridiculous for someone who had over 200 yards and 4 TDs, but for the majority of the game, he had nothing going against the Falcons. It's just that when he got 2nd level (again, credit Graham for opening up Monster Truck sized wholes), no Falcon could catch him. Honestly, his performance last year against Abingdon was even better, because he ruled the whole second half.

That is what I meant. Graham's offense controlled the line of scrimmage and opened up running lanes against Abindgon. Richlands' fans will be the first to tell you that they controlled the LOS against Graham all night so why couldn't Richlands run against Abingdon?

I'm a believer that you can do anything you want in life if you make it a priority.

That is what I meant. Graham's offense controlled the line of scrimmage and opened up running lanes against Abindgon. Richlands' fans will be the first to tell you that they controlled the LOS against Graham all night so why couldn't Richlands run against Abingdon?

I'm a believer that you can do anything you want in life if you make it a priority.

So Richlands controlled LOS v. Graham? That surprises me, Union did well in the LOS against Richlands, I'd go as far as saying Union won the LOS v. Richlands.

Except fly. Trust me dude, its impossible. I jumped off a lot of stuff as a kid with homemade wings. Flying is something we just can't do lol.

It would be close between them and Glenvar. If Union wins out they would out point Glenvar by about 20-25 points. A loss would probably make it a 2-4 point difference

But a loss could send Union to a lower seed? Hmm...

It'd have helped if Floyd had a better team, Glenvar would get more points for beating them.

And I'm just a random Union fan, but we've played Richlands every year and Graham last year. Kinda know those teams as compared to DR/Appo. I'd rather end up playing Richlands/Graham,much shorter road trips of nothing else. Its all speculation tho, a 5/12 with Union hosting a much improved GC team is tough enough.

Richlands won't play Appo or DR. They will play each other in round 3. Richlands will travel to Graham in round 3.

If Union lost one of last two games, would they fall to 6-7? Damnit need tonfind a points expert.

Union can lose to Letcher and will still most likely be the #5 seed.

Also, best case scenario for Dan River versus worst case scenario for Richlands could drop Richlands to #4. With Lebanon beating Va High last night, I'm not so sure that the Bearcats will beat Lee now.