Richlands @ Abingdon

Ryan4VT

Crazy good game guys. Sorry I haven't been on in a few weeks, or to update you on Sturgill's wrist. I never got any news re: what the extent of the injury was, only that he injured it while bracing himself after getting his legs taken out on a run, immediately came out of the game, and that when they were examining him (I mean 3-4 coaches/trainers encircling him), he immediately began to wince and jump up and down.

I don't know if that lingered at all this week, but what with the conditions and all, neither QB played a really good game, and Jake hasn't had what I would call a really good game in weeks now (though I think we unfairly set the standard a little high when a 6 TD night like he had against Virginia High last week as not really a good game). Reed was probably right that defenses are keying in on him and taking his options away, and generally, guys have struggled to get open. But, I guess under the standard that Jake played last year or that Asbury has played the last two years, it's fair to say he hasn't been playing his best.

Neither team was really doing much in that regard in the first half. The defensive lines for both teams were basically overwhelming the OLs at the point of attack knowing what was likely coming given the weather. Abingdon only really established any foothold there late...and then immediately went away from it and threw an INT on the play because Richlands feigned a safety blitz (they may have been blitzing originally, but we'll never know) pre-snap and Abingdon changed out of their run play on 2nd and 2 near midfield.

For Richlands, Howie was doing okay, but he got a little dinged up (or at least it looked like it) and they went to Collins. Collins almost brought Richlands back single-handedly. Kid was a waterbug tonight and Abingdon defenders were ripe for the juking (despite the overall performance of the Abingdon D being quite awesome, Collins made them wish they had some plays back).

Guys it was a really good game with two of better teams in SWVA. Adverse conditions with the weather. It was said earlier in this thread that rain and cold would benefit AHS. Sturgill didn't seem as affected by the conditions as Asbury.

Abingdon made some plays when they had to. Defense played lights out and the scheme was on point.

The blues didn't quit. They played hard to the end. It was a great game. The kind of game you would expect. I thought during the game it was looking like it would come down to the last possession and who wanted it more. I know Abingdon had this one circled on the calendar since last year.

One thing that really gets me is why u roll jla right on 3rd and goal at 2 yd line. If anything roll him left but what do i know?

If you are talking about the last play, I don't think JLA was rolling out the play was going to number 11 on the bubble screen but he fell down as soon as the ball was snapped. Asbury went that direction on his own.

Also, talk about calls, I only saw one each way, but they both were pretty glaring. The first was an obvious Offensive Pass I on Abingdon's Chris DeSalvo who basically tackled a Richlands defender to prevent an INT. Ref was standing right on top of it and called it DPI. No clue there.

One possession later (I think), Howie caught a pass in the flat, look to have made a football move or two after turning upfield, and then straight up lost the ball. Abingdon recovered and Howie gave every indication of someone who had just fumbled, kneeling on the ground for several moments after/despondent. Some of the Richlands players/coaches I imagine (as it was on their sideline) started to lobby the refs and after a period of about 20-30 seconds for discussion, they called it an incomplete pass.

Both were bad calls, but on the one that should have been against Abingdon, they ended up scoring three plays later, so it certainly helped them keep the drive alive.

If you are talking about the last play, I don't think JLA was rolling out the play was going to number 11 on the bubble screen but he fell down as soon as the ball was snapped. Asbury went that direction on his own.

Oh ok. Left before that play hapoened and radio guys made it seem it was a roll out.

Was Asbury outside of the tackle box though? I thought he was from my angle and was confused as to why he didn't throw it away given that it was only 2nd down. Am I way off base here?

If Richlands want to get rid of Mance, I know one school at Exit 1 that would

Probably take him in a heatbeat. No recruiting necessary there; they have

the jitterbugs, just no one to tell them which way to jitter! Just kidding.

Was Asbury outside of the tackle box though? I thought he was from my angle and was confused as to why he didn't throw it away given that it was only 2nd down. Am I way off base here?

In high school football there is no outside the tackle box for a passer there has to be a wr in the area but he could have thrown it out of the back of the end zone over any wr's head and been okay.

The main problem with Richlands is they need a true running back and quit with putting three different players back there to run the ball! Just asked the players who's ready to step up and be the man at the running game period!!!

Also, talk about calls, I only saw one each way, but they both were pretty glaring. The first was an obvious Offensive Pass I on Abingdon's Chris DeSalvo who basically tackled a Richlands defender to prevent an INT. Ref was standing right on top of it and called it DPI. No clue there.

One possession later (I think), Howie caught a pass in the flat, look to have made a football move or two after turning upfield, and then straight up lost the ball. Abingdon recovered and Howie gave every indication of someone who had just fumbled, kneeling on the ground for several moments after/despondent. Some of the Richlands players/coaches I imagine (as it was on their sideline) started to lobby the refs and after a period of about 20-30 seconds for discussion, they called it an incomplete pass.

Both were bad calls, but on the one that should have been against Abingdon, they ended up scoring three plays later, so it certainly helped them keep the drive alive.

I think what happened there was that refs thought the RHS defender had held or PI'd DeSalvo before DeSalvo tackled the defender. Did they call PI or did they call holding on RHS? I can't remember. Either way, I think the refs saw what they thought was a penalty on RHS before the tackle. To me thats the only explanation. The refs huddled for a minute before announcing the call. I'm not saying it was the correct call at all....but we saw the AHS player tackle the defender and that made AHS crowd breath a sigh of relief and the RHS crowd boo when they called it on RHS.

I think the biggest thing tonight was the AHS defense in the red zone. I think RHS is a big play offense and it's hard to have big plays in the red zone. When a team is inside the 5 it's hard to generate a big play because the back of the end zone serves as another player for the defense. RHS is dynamic between the 20's but they sputtered at the goal line. Those WR's for RHS are fast and shifty but speed is nullified inside the 5. Am I explaining my thought coherently? It's 2:07a.m. and I need to go to bed. Lastly, the play of the game for me was the int that JLA threw in the end zone. That was huge stop for AHS, and kinda lends credence to my above point.

The main problem with Richlands is they need a true running back and quit with putting three different players back there to run the ball! Just asked the players who's ready to step up and be the man at the running game period!!!

Agreed. But we've all known this the whole season and now in the 9th game of the season it proves costly.

I mentioned it a few weeks back but maybe instead of letting Asbury try to set records in second half blowouts that might've been a good time to work on the run game? But what do I know?

Abingdon basically defended against the pass.  Howie was double teamed most of the night and Abingdon switched in some speed in the secondary by inserting some receivers (who hadn't played much defense prior to last night) as defensive backs.  With 4 in the box most of the time, Richlands wasn't able to run the ball effectively.

I'm not positive, but I don't think Richlands got a first down in the first half.  The field goal was set up by bad punt snap/handling of the ball.  One of the media members reported that Richlands had 16 yards of offense in the first half.

Asbury didn't have his best night passing for sure.  One thing I noticed was that he didn't seem to look off any receivers last night....paticularly Howie.  This enabled Abingdon to make good breaks on the ball most of the night.

As a side note, this, in my opinion, was the best defensive performance by Abingdon in the last 2 years.  Yes, Asbury didn't have his best game but the AHS coaches had a good scheme.  Abingdon was also pretty physical (at least for us) on the defensive side of the ball.  William Seymore, safety, had a really good game.

Richlands is a good team and didn't quit.  I wish them well on their playoff run.  For the disgruntled Richlands fans, give Mance a break.  Everyone has off days at work but he is an EXCELLENT COACH.  If you all don't want him, then I'm lobbying Curt Newsome (E&H) to hire him.  You can always find room on your staff for a good coach and he would definitely be a good pickup.  :)   

Agreed. But we've all known this the whole season and now in the 9th game of the season it proves costly.

I mentioned it a few weeks back but maybe instead of letting Asbury try to set records in second half blowouts that might've been a good time to work on the run game? But what do I know?

Asbury has sat out the second half of almost every game. He didn't sit against Union, Graham, or Abingdon. I think he played the 3rd quarter against GC and one drive of the 3rd against a couple others. Buts it's not like he's out there up 50 throwing the ball in the 4th quarter.

That's what I mentioned too....it seemed like Asbury just stared down his intended receiver and would never go through any progressions. I know he's a really good QB but that surprised me. I guess he just wasn't used to seeing his WR's triple covered at times and that would throw any QB off.

That's what I mentioned too....it seemed like Asbury just stared down his intended receiver and would never go through any progressions. I know he's a really good QB but that surprised me. I guess he just wasn't used to seeing his WR's triple covered at times and that would throw any QB off.

I pointed that out early in the season. Watch his Hudl tape, he rarely looks away from where he wants to go with it. Forces it an awful lot to Howie but doesn't get talked about because howie is athletic enough to bail him out.