Train Horn at Giles

SWVAgridiron

So I was on VAPreps and seen a 70 comments thread about the train horn at Giles. Having only been a true Giles fan for 3 going on 4 years I see nothing wrong with how it is blew. Yes, there has been times that it was blew when the opposing team was on the ball which is a big no-no. But I don't really see the big deal with blowing it while teams are in the huddle. And he doesn't do it to disrupt the play calling he does it to get our D fired up.

Has anyone been in Lane Stadium in a close game on 3rd down? It's 10 times as loud as a train whistle. My thoughts are that if kids can't handle that at the high school level, then they'll never be able to make it as a college athlete.

I know that many people are against it but since people on here have more sense than the people on VAPreps what are yalls thoughts?

Nothing wrong with train horns. It has been a tradition at Gate City for years. But there are common sense rules that get followed at GC, never blow them before/during a play, during an injury timeout, during a bands halftime or pregame show. But when GC runs out, has a big play, scores a touchdown, or at the end of a quarter when GC is leading they get blown.

Nothing wrong with train horns. It has been a tradition at Gate City for years. But there are common sense rules, never blow them before/during a play, during an injury timeout, during a bands halftime or pregame show. But when GC runs out, has a big play, scores a touchdown, or at the end of a quarter when GC is leading they get blown.

I know GC has had the horn longer so would you disagree with blowing it on 3rd downs before the opposing team gets on the ball?

So I was on VAPreps and seen a 70 comments thread about the train horn at Giles. Having only been a true Giles fan for 3 going on 4 years I see nothing wrong with how it is blew. Yes, there has been times that it was blew when the opposing team was on the ball which is a big no-no. But I don't really see the big deal with blowing it while teams are in the huddle. And he doesn't do it to disrupt the play calling he does it to get our D fired up.

Has anyone been in Lane Stadium in a close game on 3rd down? It's 10 times as loud as a train whistle. My thoughts are that if kids can't handle that at the high school level, then they'll never be able to make it as a college athlete.

I know that many people are against it but since people on here have more sense than the people on VAPreps what are yalls thoughts?

3rd downs are eerily quiet in Lame due to that idiotic key jingling...

• 3 weeks later...

Not trying to jump the gun but I heard that IF Giles and Appo win this week and meet up next week that Appo will not allow the train horn even though they have the exact same horn... I think that's kinda petty because they say that the horn costed them a possible state championship back in '13 even though it was only in the 2nd round. If this holds true then I plan on talking to the booster club about providing air horns for some of the fans and I will more than likely purchase 5 or so myself to hand out.

The difference is one is generated by fans and the other is part of the school. Fans can make all the noise that they wish. In WV noisemakers are prohibited in the playoffs.

The horn at Giles is owned by a fan not the school.

It's an away game, that's why it's called "home field advantage". You'd have to be the biggest jerk in the world to bring a train horn to an away game like that.

Home or Away, Giles pretty much has "home field advantage" considering that there hasn't been a game this season where the opposing team has had more fans

I think the Horns at Gate City and Giles are fine. It's their place and the fans react very favorably to them. They are two of my favorite places to attend a High School football game. I really respect and appreciate their fans also. Play ball and stop them and you won't have to hear it.

I do dislike hearing it though because it means they just put it on the Blues...lol

I remember the Gate City horn coming to Haysi back in the early 2000's.  Dickenson County sherriff's ejected them from the field.  Didn't stop them though, they just went across the Russell Fork to the convenience store parking lot, still within eyesight of the field and blared it from over there.  Lol.

I remember the Gate City horn coming to Haysi back in the early 2000's. Dickenson County sherriff's ejected them from the field. Didn't stop them though, they just went across the Russell Fork to the convenience store parking lot, still within eyesight of the field and blared it from over there. Lol.

Different horn back then owned by a different person. The horn we have now never goes to away games.