Projections/Scenarios for 2016 Playoff Pairings

Union_Fan

What Beamerball said. If you're looking to jump someone and you see the averages and you are .33333334 behind them, you have NO idea what it will take to jump them. If you look at those same teams and see there's an 8 point gap, you know immediately what it will take.

I like the numbers better. It make sure it far easier to know exactly what you need at the end of the day.

I understand that some ppl. just don't get it.

Had a sportswriter tell me that my ratings were misleading. I asked why. He said "because you have Grundy ranked so high".

Some ppl. just "zone" on the whole average thing - it's like they can't see the forest for the trees.

I just keep saying "it doesn't matter what the avg. is today, what matters is where you are after the last game", and my stuff gets you there faster.

I've been doing this for nearly 30 years, and have yet see anyone else even try something like it.

Shoot, haven't even seen someone try my method in other Regions.

Thought I'd try something to see how it would look....

Graham and Glenvar both play a 6-win 2A (or effective 2A) school - Floyd and Narrows, and will get 30 points for a win, 13 for a loss.

Graham  now = 26.56, W/L : +.34 / -1.36
Glenvar now = 22.00, W/L : +.8 / -.9

That's better, makes more sense, right?

Anyone who wants the decimals in, you've only got 48 more school to go... knock yourselves out.

Whether you divide by 10 or give the total, the order is still the same.  It's a breakdown of numbers giving you a better idea of what the team needs, which you don't see giving the avg. rating.  If you need the rating for whatever reason...divide.  You get the same end results at the end of the season no matter how you list it.

Most times than not its the same, but not always.  Lets say Rye Cove had been in playoff contention this year.  Total points would have looked a lot lower than most because they only factor in 9 games instead.

Most times than not its the same, but not always. Lets say Rye Cove had been in playoff contention this year. Total points would have looked a lot lower than most because they only factor in 9 games instead.

Precisely. Not all schedules are made equal.

I would rather use a metric that is correct 100% of the time than use one that is correct 95% of the time, but unwieldy and misleading, because it's slightly easier to compute.

Thought I'd try something to see how it would look....

Graham and Glenvar both play a 6-win 2A (or effective 2A) school - Floyd and Narrows, and will get 30 points for a win, 13 for a loss.

Graham now = 26.56, W/L : +.34 / -1.36

Glenvar now = 22.00, W/L : +.8 / -.9

That's better, makes more sense, right?

Anyone who wants the decimals in, you've only got 48 more school to go... knock yourselves out.

That makes it WAYYYYYY more confusing to look at.

And I'm fully aware that my position on this is likely the minority position, and that's OK. But the overall points calculation does not measure what it intends to measure, and that's the litmus test for a faulty statistic.

It measures the points that you have at that week. We all know Richlands is done. They have more points than anyone right now, but we know that won't be the same because they're off this week.

I myself like the avg and current seeding like the VHSL shows.  But I also like the cheat sheet that gives maximum and minimum points possible and potential seed ranges. 

Either way, I am ready for the final standings and see where everyone is going.  Going to be a fun playoffs

And I'm fully aware that my position on this is likely the minority position, and that's OK. But the overall points calculation does not measure what it intends to measure, and that's the litmus test for a faulty statistic.

I stand with you on this subject.  The average is the final number that counts.

It measures the points that you have at that week. We all know Richlands is done. They have more points than anyone right now, but we know that won't be the same because they're off this week.

Then it is misleading and a factual falsehood to have Richlands listed #1, isn't it? I know I'm being pedantic about something really trivial.

Anyone know if Abingdon is guaranteed a top 4 seed if they beat Marion?

I'm guessing AHS would be at minimum, if they win against Marion, a top 3 seed.  I heard there is a possibility that they could move up.  Again,  I'm no stats or ranking guru.  Maybe ask Union_Fan or VHSL Helper.  They seem to have this numbers game down to an art form.

I'm guessing AHS would be at minimum, if they win against Marion, a top 3 seed.  I heard there is a possibility that they could move up.  Again,  I'm no stats or ranking guru.  Maybe ask Union_Fan or VHSL Helper.  They seem to have this numbers game down to an art form.

From a quick glance at my spreadsheet, I think if Abingdon wins, they stay where they are, possibly move to second.  Brookville plays 2-7 Jefferson Forest, so that could drop them from #1 to 2 or 3 if Rustburg and Abingdon both win.

Most times than not its the same, but not always. Lets say Rye Cove had been in playoff contention this year. Total points would have looked a lot lower than most because they only factor in 9 games instead.

All you need is a little multiplication, problem solved.

Most times than not its the same, but not always.  Lets say Rye Cove had been in playoff contention this year.  Total points would have looked a lot lower than most because they only factor in 9 games instead.

Nope... must not have looked at them

Rye Cove             32       38  # 77.77
# Rye Cove plays ONE "non-public" school, 
  so their total is multiplied by 1.11 to put them on an even keel.

I've been doing that for years

This is what makes the other argument invalid. 9 game teams are already factored into the points.

Precisely. Not all schedules are made equal.

I would rather use a metric that is correct 100% of the time than use one that is correct 95% of the time, but unwieldy and misleading, because it's slightly easier to compute.

SLIGHTLY easier? LOL

See Hurley & Tunstall in 2012 

http://www.angelfire.com/va/vhsl/2012ratings.html

. But the overall points calculation does not measure what it intends to measure,

How so? Except for 1 year when I mis-added, 1 year when forfeits came into play, and 1 year when a score was reported backwards by the AP, I've had the same positioning and seedings as was officially announced. Last year I beat the VHSL by 37 hours, and should do the same again this year.

NOTE TO ALL - There is a game set for Saturday in Richmond which may mean the official pairings won't be released until mid-day SUNDAY.