Union James Mitchell and his recruitment

RiverRat24

I'm a big Notre Dame fan and seen on their rivals site where Mitchell is headed to South Bend this weekend on a visit for the Miami game. I know he's being recruited right now as a TE/WR hybrid type player. Do you guys think James has the chance of playing defense in college? Maybe as a rush end or an OLB thats used in certain packages to get after the QB? Curious as to what you guys think. He looks as if he has the frame to fill out and pack on alot of muscle and has really long arms and good speed. I think he's too talented to be pigeon holed right off the bat to the offensive side of the ball....just my opinion.

I told some guys on rivals I thought he could possibly grow into a DE with his length and speed. I just wasn't aware if he was dead set on going somewhere that he could play offense or if it mattered to him. Heck he may get taller and add on another 25 lbs before he graduates and be a typical monster D1 TE instead of the hybrid TE/WR that he is now.

It will be interesting to see how he continues to develop athletically and physically over the course of what's left of his high school career. Wish nothing but the best for Mitchell and hope he explodes onto the scene wherever he chooses to play.

I sure wish this young man the best !  I hope he goes where he wants and has a fantastic career.  Nothing I love more than seeing a kid from our part of Virginia get to continue playing football, getting his education and seeing his dreams come true !

I will be watching for him on Saturdays............after he is done at Union ! 

Does anybody know if he has any interest in UT? Don't give me grief..serious question.

I think he attended a prospect camp there this summer, but I don't think he has much interest. Just reading all his quotes from interviews, it really seems he's pretty high on Clemson. That's just my inference.

I know he's high on Tech now, but I still say its Clemson or UVA. He really values education.

That sounds like a young man with a good head on his shoulders.  Let's all just wish the best for him in the future whatever decision he makes on where to go.

Tech is a better school than Clemson, in my opinion. Clemson's reputation isn't particularly strong from an academic standpoint.

I would be floored if he wasn't in Blacksburg.

Agreed on Tech being a better school academic-wise than Clemson. I just think UVA may end up where he goes. Tech has a much better program and I like Fuente a lot (like Mendenhall a lot too tho), I jus have a hunch.

Agreed on Tech being a better school academic-wise than Clemson. I just think UVA may end up where he goes. Tech has a much better program and I like Fuente a lot (like Mendenhall a lot too tho), I jus have a hunch.

You are certainly closer to the scoop than am I. :)

Would be thrilled to have him.

Mitchell is looking right now, and he should, but it will take a lot to change his dreams of playing at TECH.Beamer retiring made me think he may go somewhere else but VA TECH has surprised me and many more. James has friends there(BRYCE SPEARS,not playing football) and being a couple of hours up the road for home games is a big advantage to TECH.I think he needs to look at everything and enjoy the ride, he is a plus for any program on and off the field.....good luck james

Of note though, the Hokies have already taken 2 TEs in this class, and a couple of ATHs (who could end up playing TE), so if things stay the same (which is never a given in college recruiting), I don't know how many more spots they're going to use to take TEs. It's a very timing-based industry (the Meat Market that college football recruiting is), so he would be best advised perhaps to figure out where he wanted to go BEFORE NSD because his spot may no longer be there if he waits until then. That's not to put pressure on him or say Tech is the place to go for him, only doing simple math and suggesting that someone could get squeezed. But that's the case at any school, just more so if he's determined to play a position or a side of the ball (as was rumored earlier in this thread) that a school he might want to go to is overloaded on.