Trouble in Unaka

redtiger

Who was it our region that went either 8-2 or 7-3 and didn't make the playoffs, I was thinking it may have been Clintwood. I just don't think teams with losing records should be there to start with but you have to fill a bracket.

Who was it our region that went either 8-2 or 7-3 and didn't make the playoffs, I was thinking it may have been Clintwood. I just don't think teams with losing records should be there to start with but you have to fill a bracket.

Simple solution would be to make a .500 or better record a prerequsite to be eligible for the playoffs.  If there are 16 slots to be filled and you only have 13 teams .500 or better, give the top 3 teams byes and go from there.  If you have 15, give the number one a bye. It's bad enough they let nearly everyone in..but requiring a non-losing record would at least make getting to the playoffs somewhat of an achievement.

Who was it our region that went either 8-2 or 7-3 and didn't make the playoffs, I was thinking it may have been Clintwood. I just don't think teams with losing records should be there to start with but you have to fill a bracket.

Abingdon in 2007 went 7-3 and missed the playoffs

Lee also went 7-3 in 2007 and missed the playoffs

Strange year

Abingdon in 2007 went 7-3 and missed the playoffs

Lee also went 7-3 in 2007 and missed the playoffs

Strange year

Also in 2007, GC went 7-3 and made the playoffs (which kicked Lee out) and hosted Lebanon in round 1. Lebanon was 8-2 and defeated GC in the regular season. Weird how all of that worked.

I had asked if the parents made a move to cancel the season before it started with only 15 players and was told no. I got back 2 responses and both were "they're the #1 team and our boys could get hurt bad". I understand that, but they could've been hurt in the previous 10 games also.

If I'm not mistaken, Unaka won a state championship in basketball not too long ago.

Say one of their regular season opponents happened to be #1. Would they forfeit then?

Injuries can happen against a weak team just as easily as they can against the #1 team.

Way back in the mid 90's, I recall PH Glade Spring and George Wythe both missing the playoffs at 8-2 while Grayson made the playoffs at 5-5 and got destroyed by Radford in the first round.

The playoff format must have been different when I was in school.  We were very good for a number of years in the late 80's and early 90's shortly after Fries and Independence consolidated.  I was a senior in 1991, we went to Lee and beat them when they were the defending state champs.  Lebanon came to Grayson and beat us 48-28 later in the playoffs.  I believe Lebanon ended up losing in the state finals that year and maybe the year after.

I wasn't very perceptive nor did I care enough at that time to recall how the regions were divided.  Maybe someone can refresh my memory.  I don't recall Grayson ever being Region D but I could be wrong.

Way back in the mid 90's, I recall PH Glade Spring and George Wythe both missing the playoffs at 8-2 while Grayson made the playoffs at 5-5 and got destroyed by Radford in the first round.

The playoff format must have been different when I was in school. We were very good for a number of years in the late 80's and early 90's shortly after Fries and Independence consolidated. I was a senior in 1991, we went to Lee and beat them when they were the defending state champs.

Lee was the Div. 4 runner up in 1990...still a very good team back then.

Lee was the Div. 4 runner up in 1990...still a very good team back then.

I think we beat Lee 12-7 in 1991.  It was very early in the regular season.  If memory serves, something happened on a state level with out-of-state scheduling and we were forced to drop Alleghany, NC and Lee was forced to drop someone and we had the same open date just a few months prior to the season starting.  

Glory days of Grayson football.  They have pretty much sucked since the mid 90's.  I still don't know that I understand how we played Lebanon in the playoffs if someone could be so kind as to enlighten me.

I think we beat Lee 12-7 in 1991.  It was very early in the regular season.  If memory serves, something happened on a state level with out-of-state scheduling and we were forced to drop Alleghany, NC and Lee was forced to drop someone and we had the same open date just a few months prior to the season starting.  

Glory days of Grayson football.  They have pretty much sucked since the mid 90's.  I still don't know that I understand how we played Lebanon in the playoffs if someone could be so kind as to enlighten me.

Lebanon was Region C in the early to mid 90's.  Haysi played them in the state semis in 1991 or 1992...

Haysi lost to Lebanon in the 91 state semis. Lebanon had just dropped from AA D3 to A D2.

I think Lebanon was on a run before they dropped, could you have played them in 90?

I went back to the VHSL Book-of-Records.  Lebanon lost in the state finals in 91 and 92.  I would have already graduated the 92 football season and played at Carroll in 90 so it had to have been 91.  

To clarify my comments, we played Lee in the first or second week of the regular season.  Lebanon came to Independence for the, I believe, regional championship game and beat us 48-28.  Grayson was very good at that time shortly after consolidation with Fries in 1988.  The first year or two were a little scattered as parents, administrators and community leaders tried to figure out where the kids surrounding Fries would ultimately wind up.  I was sent to Carroll for the first couple of years even though I lived in Grayson as was many others.  Some of my neighbors even wound up at Fort Chiswell, the current varsity basketball and baseball coach being one.  

I may be a little biased but don't believe many who were here at that time would disagree.  Once Grayson got all of the Fries kids, they really spiked for a decade or so before Grayson stated losing population.  

This is just from memory so don't hang me if I'm wrong. One of the Lee county schools that consolidated won a single A division 1 state title in thier last year and then consolidated to be Lee the next (Can't remember which one, too lazy to look it up). Lebanan Definately played the state semis at Haysi in '91. Biggest crowd in Haysi history at the time.

This is just from memory so don't hang me if I'm wrong. One of the Lee county schools that consolidated won a single A division 1 state title in thier last year and then consolidated to be Lee the next (Can't remember which one, too lazy to look it up). Lebanan Definately played the state semis at Haysi in '91. Biggest crowd in Haysi history at the time.

Jonesville.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...