Trouble in Unaka

redtiger

I understand the kids point but I blame the coaches. You've gotta motivate those kids... someway, somehow.

Explain to them that they are only guaranteed 40 games in their high school careers, don't throw away the chance for one more.
Explain that this is 1 more week of practice to get better for next season.

But I would guess the coaches don't have a great relationship w the players if they're getting beat the way they are and don't want to step on the field one more time.

Some parents need to step up and have their young men finish what they started. It's about much more than winning or losing, it's about honor

At the same time I was never part of a season like that, and never took beatings like that

Unaka has struggled all year with numbers and haven't been competitive in years, they didn't have enough players to even field a team when practice started. I look for them to drop football and if they have players who want to play they can go to Hampton or Cloudland or Happy Valley. They are not the only team in the playoffs at 1-9, there are two more one win teams in 1A. There are 41 teams in the TSSAA playoffs with losing records and several more at 5-5. However I am 1-0 with my playoffs picks and that is what I worry about.

On one hand, I agree that the kids may look back wishing they had that one extra game to suit up for the Rangers, but would they feel fulfilled by getting beat by 60+ by one of the best teams in the state?

It is a county school and Elizabethton is a city school. There is ongoing discussion of consolidating Carter Co. but I haven't heard anything in a while. 

This is why allowing too many teams into the playoffs is a bad thing. If you aren't .500 you don't even belong, and IMO if you fail to win your district, you shouldn't have a gripe.

Horrible time to use this a's an example. We have plenty of teams staying home in 1s and 2aa. This is horrible coaching and worse parents.

This is why allowing too many teams into the playoffs is a bad thing. If you aren't .500 you don't even belong, and IMO if you fail to win your district, you shouldn't have a gripe.

I remember few years ago rye cove made playoffs at 3-7. Not knocking rye cove at all. But they won all district games. IT was 4 team district. I know district are important but it can leave a good 9-1 or even 8-2 team out of playoffs.

Had to find a way to punish the school and most likely wanted to do it without effecting them monetarily.  Probably a good chunk of these football players play basketball is my guess also since its a 1A school.  Surprised it didnt effect all boys sports the remainder of the year.  TSSAA wants to set a precedent to try and keep others from dropping out of the playoffs in the future.

Following is an interesting read on the issue...

Johnson City Press

Unaka's decision could cause problems for TSSAA Douglas Fritz • Updated Today at 12:15 AM

Unaka’s decision to forfeit its first-round playoff game against Greenback is bad for the TSSAA playoff system, bad for high school football, and bad for high school athletics altogether.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/2016/10/31/Unaka-s-decision-could-cause-problems-for-TSSAA.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=

I remember few years ago rye cove made playoffs at 3-7. Not knocking rye cove at all. But they won all district games. IT was 4 team district. I know district are important but it can leave a good 9-1 or even 8-2 team out of playoffs.

I think all district champs should get in before anyone else...never remember RC being in a 4 team district tho. Reason I feel that way is because every team had a chance to win a district title when there actually were districts, and that should be goal #1. After all the DCs are in, go by power rating. Even though some good teams got left out, it's the best system we've had.

Look at it this way, before realignment, Region D had 3 Districts filled with Div 1 and Div 2 schools. Each division had 4 Playoff spots. If you placed the District Champs that left 5 spots total to be filled with teams with the top power ratings in each division. IMO, in a 3 district region, a team that doesn't win a championship or have a power rating adequate to get in simply doesn't belong...and all the reasoning in the world won't change my mind. The playoffs should be for the cream of the crop..not the also rans. Myself, I wouldn't care if it was 1 team per district per division..that way it would only be champs and runner ups.

Had to find a way to punish the school and most likely wanted to do it without effecting them monetarily.  Probably a good chunk of these football players play basketball is my guess also since its a 1A school.  Surprised it didnt effect all boys sports the remainder of the year.  TSSAA wants to set a precedent to try and keep others from dropping out of the playoffs in the future.

Yeah, I understand that there had to be some kind of punishment, but I'm with you in expecting that it could have been all boys sports for the remainder of the year. I know it might seem worse, but suspending all boys teams from postseason play this year would be a more consistent message with regards to all sports at the school and also seem less arbitrary (not just penalizing the basketball program).

I had asked if the parents made a move to cancel the season before it started with only 15 players and was told no. I got back 2 responses and both were "they're the #1 team and our boys could get hurt bad". I understand that, but they could've been hurt in the previous 10 games also.

If I'm not mistaken, Unaka won a state championship in basketball not too long ago.