Virginia Championship Updates: 12/10/16

Deleted Account

There cannot be a tie if he is up 1 and you both have 2 different picks. He goes 2-0 and wins by 3; he goes 1-1 and he wins by 1; he goes 0-2 and you win by 1. This assumes no ties, in which no one wins.

I realized that just as soon as I re-read my post. I edited it as quickly as possible to prevent people from making fun of my idiocy...but, alas, you caught me...lol. I have to win both of our "off" games to win. Being a Cowboys fan, I don't think I've ever pulled for the Eagles...but I will tomorow I guess. I actually picked San Fran thinking gwave would pick the Jets...just trying to create an opening. But, he picked them too...lol. Turns out I have my opening anyway...but I don't think I have a chance. It was fun though! I think I've bugged poor Ryan to death about posting the picks because I oftentimes have to go out of town and I'm afraid I'll miss submitting them being wrapped up in work. Thanks for your patience Ryan!

Richlands has shot themselves in the foot all night long. Out coached,out maned, and playing with no heart!

They did shoot their selves in the foot.  What was telling for me, was when the team came out in the 2nd half, a good many of the coaching staff (or at least the ones I was watching) had their heads down like a bunch of whipped dogs.  What would you expect from the players when your leader's body language reads "we are beat."  If you don't believe you can win, you shouldn't be there, especially as a coach.   Everybody was telling them how great Appomattox was, I guessed they just believed them.

They did shoot their selves in the foot.  What was telling for me, was when the team came out in the 2nd half, a good many of the coaching staff (or at least the ones I was watching) had their heads down like a bunch of whipped dogs.  What would you expect from the players when your leader's body language reads "we are beat."  If you don't believe you can win, you shouldn't be there, especially as a coach.   Everybody was telling them how great Appomattox was, I guessed they just believed them.

Can you not credit Appo for being just that damn good? I mean I understand being a fan and all but this is a bit picky. I see your point... if the coaches body language was poor then there is no place for that on the sideline.  But Appo was a wonderful team... give them credit. They were just better than Richlands this year. 

Congratulations to Richlands! You guys were a class act and have all my respect my hat is off to ya shining a light on you with my bald head. I met some great folks at a McDonalds before the game and we had a good conversation together before the game and really enjoyed that two opposing fans could do that and leave and sincerely wish the best for each other. The Blue Tornados is a great team and jesus Christ they deserve all the respect and praise each and everyone of us can give them. To make it to State and play that game that is loved by so many is the result of more hard work and dedication than most of us have ever put into anything. Your all champs in my eyes. Thankyou guys you were great!

For 2A Appomattox  was an anomaly.  At this level out of 700 kids or what ever their number is, you just rarely ever see this much talent and when you do most  just don't have the coaching to pull them together and max them out. You probably had 7 to 9 who can run a 4.5- 40 yard dash. Without them Richlands had a good shot both years. We are at a place and time where we have meet somebody better than what the best  would normally  be.

Congrats to Appomattox

Proud of them BLUES.

Can you not credit Appo for being just that damn good? I mean I understand being a fan and all but this is a bit picky. I see your point... if the coaches body language was poor then there is no place for that on the sideline.  But Appo was a wonderful team... give them credit. They were just better than Richlands this year.

Appomattox does have a very talented and disciplined team, they were obviously better than Richlands, and they are certainly the very best 2A team by a long shot. But yesterday's game itself (viewed as a singular event in an overall season) didn't provide a gauge as to how good they really are. Over the season Richlands demonstrated an ability to play much better than what they displayed yesterday. No discredit to Appomattox -- just an observation.

If the Blues were firing on all cylinders, my opinion is that they still would have lost (and probably by a significant margin). And we probably wouldn't feel a lot better in that case either.

Great year for the alma mater overall. Congrats to Appomattox.

I never said Richlands was a better team; however, I don't feel that they were 40 points worse either.  They were completely in the game at 14 - 7, and the wheels fell off in the last two minutes of the first half.  From what I saw from some of the staff, not all, they may have well hoisted a white flag up.  I have seen better teams than Appomattox fall to worse teams than Richlands.... psychology.  It's a good thing Blacksburg didn't listen to all of the "experts."

As for Appomattox, Smith is one of the best coaches in the state.  I have been very impressed how he interacts with the players before, during and after the games.  I hope for Appomattox's sake, he stays there, as he will have many opportunities at larger schools.

Oh and by the way, for those on here that said James White was too small, too this or to that....he looked like to me like he ran the ball pretty damn good against a team that nobody could run on.  Kudos to White and the offensive line yesterday for that.  It looks to me like next year's team could have some smash mouth element.

That team was a buzzsaw. Plain and simple. Props to them. What a team.

Richlands/Mance had the right gameplan, run when they gave it to you and complete short/medium passes to try and sustain drives and play keep away. Richlands drove the ball on their defense several times. When you get inside the 20 four times and zone away with 7 points, you're not gonna beat a team as good as Appo. Special teams also imploded. Have them right where you want them down 14-7 going into half with the momentum and then 2 special teams disasters break the back of the team and fans.

I'm actually proud of our defense. Appo really only had 2 or 3 actual scoring drives. Hard to win when you give Appo the call on a short field.

Good season Blues. Losing sucks, but use it as fuel to get right back next year.

Also, thank you to Coach Phipps for his 4 years of service with our boys. Best of luck!!

I've met him a few times and seems like a good guy to me...very nice

Bottom line is people didn't like him because he won titles....simple as that

You sure we are talking about the same Willis?  Not the one from Different Strokes...

I'm sure he is a good person and was certainly a great coach.  But he ranks right up t here with Phil Robbins in the Popularity Contest.

You sure we are talking about the same Willis? Not the one from Different Strokes...

I'm sure he is a good person and was certainly a great coach. But he ranks right up t here with Phil Robbins in the Popularity Contest.

All I am saying is the times I talked to the man he was a nice guy...don't know nor care how others feel about him....he was nice to me and that's all I cared about