Rivalry Game(s)

Tigers_07

56 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

That's the thing... I thought it was a RUMOR.  Not CONFIRMED.

Well, it's progressing past the rumor stage unless enrollment stabilizes. If another Wise Co school closes, it will be Eastside.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Wow! I don't know what to say. I hope the 8th and 10th grade classes can pick up the slack. I don't understand kids these days. :/

I would agree to a point.  How much of it is due to the ongoing studies of CTE and the unknown.  Many parents are trying to lookout for their kids as well.

I have to admit myself that I am torn about should my kid play or not at 8 yrs old...

EASTSIDE closing will just make CASTLEWOOD become bigger and close SAINT PAUL down too, because the younger kids will want to follow the older siblings.JI BURTON wanted to have what?two seats on the school board , in order to join WISE COUNTY ,right? I thought that was reasonable, there should have been something worked out. I was told that the school system in NORTON accounts for a large amount of the budget and that barring a large influx of kids=$$$$ that they would have no choice but to revisit the offer from WISE COUNTY in less than 5 years.I dont know how the kids at BURTON feel about things, all I know is that the kids deserve the best education that we can give them

Its like that top to bottom at Gate City. Little League is hurting for numbers. I can see some of the problem for little league. If they could get all 4 teams practicing at one location it would help get a few more out. Right now I have to drop one off in Weber City for the packers and then take two more to Grogan Park to the Rams. They ended up waiting on me for 45 minutes last night because their practice ended earlier than the Rams practice. The one I take to Weber City is staying with us to go to school at Yuma instead of going to Church Hill. We tried to get him on the Redskins or Rams team since both those teams practice at the same place but they said they couldn't ad him to the Rams with my kids because they are not blood relatives. With the economy it would make more since to have all 4 teams practice at the same location to help with those needing to car pool. 

1 hour ago, jarhead24219 said:

EASTSIDE closing will just make CASTLEWOOD become bigger and close SAINT PAUL down too,

Personally I believe if Eastside were to ever close the numbers at Castlewood will see a very minimal change.  The folks around SP who want their kids to go to Cwood instead of Eastside most likely already have them there.

4 hours ago, stu_bean said:

I would agree to a point.  How much of it is due to the ongoing studies of CTE and the unknown.  Many parents are trying to lookout for their kids as well.

I have to admit myself that I am torn about should my kid play or not at 8 yrs old...

You have a legitimate point about CTE. Can't argue that. If I had a young son, I would let him play, but I would be very cautious.

13 hours ago, Jason said:

Its like that top to bottom at Gate City. Little League is hurting for numbers. I can see some of the problem for little league. If they could get all 4 teams practicing at one location it would help get a few more out. Right now I have to drop one off in Weber City for the packers and then take two more to Grogan Park to the Rams. They ended up waiting on me for 45 minutes last night because their practice ended earlier than the Rams practice. The one I take to Weber City is staying with us to go to school at Yuma instead of going to Church Hill. We tried to get him on the Redskins or Rams team since both those teams practice at the same place but they said they couldn't ad him to the Rams with my kids because they are not blood relatives. With the economy it would make more since to have all 4 teams practice at the same location to help with those needing to car pool. 

Jason, I think that as Gate City improves on the field, the numbers in LL will grow again. It makes no sense to have practices that spread out. The numbers should pick up a little when the Sullivan County consolidation starts to happen.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:50 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

WHEN Eastside closes?  Didn't know that was a thing?

Its just a matter of time.   

Coeburn was right at 400 students and that enrollment was deemed too small to justify a high school, well when St Paul was consolidated the majority of St Paul kids went to Castlewood. The number of St Paul kids not going to Eastside has only increased and Eastsides enrollment has continued to decline - in 2010 Eastside had an enrollment of 441, now that number sits at 407 and that decline will only continue. The number was expected to be closer to 500. In time Eastside will be closed and the students will go to Central.

When JI Burton closes(and eventually it will) the logical choice for the kids would be Central but many will go to union for various reasons. JIBs enrollment is currently 239, that's really small and considering Central is at the furthest 5 miles from a student living within Nortons city limits its a easy choice

17 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

EASTSIDE closing will just make CASTLEWOOD become bigger and close SAINT PAUL down too, because the younger kids will want to follow the older siblings.JI BURTON wanted to have what?two seats on the school board , in order to join WISE COUNTY ,right? I thought that was reasonable, there should have been something worked out. I was told that the school system in NORTON accounts for a large amount of the budget and that barring a large influx of kids=$$$$ that they would have no choice but to revisit the offer from WISE COUNTY in less than 5 years.I dont know how the kids at BURTON feel about things, all I know is that the kids deserve the best education that we can give them

Imo Castlewoods numbers would see a slight increase if any. most parents who want their children at close schools are already sending them to Russell Co.

If the school board was increased to 10 members then 2 positions was very reasonable.

$ is tight in Norton, like it is all over. Like Eastside, its just a matter of time.

This epidemic of consolidation will just continue to spread. I think the only schools systems the may not be effected in the next several years are Scott County and Washington County, Va. The rest of the counties are all fair game for it, Oh and maybe Smythe County is safe for now.

10 minutes ago, SXSW said:

This epidemic of consolidation will just continue to spread. I think the only schools systems the may not be effected in the next several years are Scott County and Washington County, Va. The rest of the counties are all fair game for it, Oh and maybe Smythe County is safe for now.

There's not a feasible way to consolidate Tazewell County, either. Three schools in basically a straight line. If you consolidated to two, you'd have to decide where the Tazewell kids would go, east or west. If you tried to put all three together, you'd end up with the lone 4A school west of Blacksburg. Unless enrollment at all 3 schools drops dramatically, I don't see it happening. 

28 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

There's not a feasible way to consolidate Tazewell County, either. Three schools in basically a straight line. If you consolidated to two, you'd have to decide where the Tazewell kids would go, east or west. If you tried to put all three together, you'd end up with the lone 4A school west of Blacksburg. Unless enrollment at all 3 schools drops dramatically, I don't see it happening. 

They wouldn't be the "lone 4A school west of Blacksburg" but then again, everyone forgets Carroll because....well, it's Carroll!

With that said, Carroll is a prime example that avoiding isolation from an enrollment perspective should be a key consideration when planning for consolidation. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

The enrollment numbers may drop enough to keep the schools 3A, but it's just blind speculation. I think everyone knows it's coming down the road but no one really wants it. When schools close or consolidate communities die and the pride of living there goes with it.

Not that I think this will be beneficial but I foresee consolidation of high schools in Wise County on the agenda sooner than people will think. I just have a feeling that every school will consolidate into one. 

58 minutes ago, sixcat said:

They wouldn't be the "lone 4A school west of Blacksburg" but then again, everyone forgets Carroll because....well, it's Carroll!

With that said, Carroll is a prime example that avoiding isolation from an enrollment perspective should be a key consideration when planning for consolidation. 

Carroll is basically NC. ?

If that happens anytime soon it would be a financial disaster, with Union would set empty and unused.  The location of Central is really important imo; close to JIB and not far from Eastside. 

I think there will always be at least 2 schools in Wise County,I may be wrong but the TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP has more population that the other towns and cities in WISE COUNTY, with that comes votes ,not only in the local election but state wide.That was proven in the 2 schools one site concept a few years ago.The Kilgores went to bat for BIG STONE GAP,and the rest is history.I agree with the other post in that UNION being empty would be a political nightmare and that CENTRAL being "THE WISE CO SCHOOL"would just insure that every kid would go to LEE HIGH, hell most of the NORTON kids dont like CENTRAL

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

I think there will always be at least 2 schools in Wise County,I may be wrong but the TOWN OF BIG STONE GAP has more population that the other towns and cities in WISE COUNTY, with that comes votes ,not only in the local election but state wide.That was proven in the 2 schools one site concept a few years ago.The Kilgores went to bat for BIG STONE GAP,and the rest is history.I agree with the other post in that UNION being empty would be a political nightmare and that CENTRAL being "THE WISE CO SCHOOL"would just insure that every kid would go to LEE HIGH, hell most of the NORTON kids dont like CENTRAL

I hope this happens, that would keep twhs in the clear,  jokes aside

Transportation out of a county would be difficult for those in financial need, meaning they are locked in the county. Much like Eastside, those that want or will have already moved to Castlewood. More will go, but not the entire Eastside population, I say 30 to 40 more.

I fear for 1a when wise county does consolidate. Thomas walker traveling is a night mare already, taking jib and eastside out will only lengthen our district drives if 1a is even a thing

15 hours ago, SXSW said:

Jason, I think that as Gate City improves on the field, the numbers in LL will grow again. It makes no sense to have practices that spread out. The numbers should pick up a little when the Sullivan County consolidation starts to happen.

When did the field house become so pathetic? I was in there a couple days ago and there is hardly any weight lifting equipment. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the field house was full of equipment back in the 90s. 

Houseright almost drained the life out of the Gate City program, and when Collier was bought in it destroyed support from the community as well as financial support. Coach Akers has a lot of work to do just to build that trust back up. I do not envy him in that task! In the facilities department the school is way behind and has no plans I know of to improve any time soon.

20 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Would actually be 5A, which would be even worse.  At least 4A schools have Pulaski and Carroll, and at least 6A has Franklin...

I don't see Tazewell county consolidating for a long time. (Could be wrong, I'm wrong all the time.)

Buchanan county on the other hand needs to just go ahead and bite that bullet. Who knows what they will end up doing with Council though.