Numbers?

Ryan4VT

1 hour ago, bgibb said:

I can't remember the last time Bluefield wasn't in the 50-60 range. 48 seems about right for the G-Men, usually we have 40-50.

In the Carlock years, yes.  Afterwards, not so much...

2 hours ago, techfan said:

Those are great numbers for Grundy.  The were down around 20 just a couple of years ago right?

Most I can remember Grundy having in the last 20 years. My senior year we had 28 and that was after going to two straight region championships.

I know dwindling numbers are a trend with almost every school, but I remember when Lee consolidated, looking at their roster in the program, they had players with numbers 1 through 99, with no gaps.  That's unbelievable.

29 minutes ago, gwave0333 said:

Most I can remember Grundy having in the last 20 years. My senior year we had 28 and that was after going to two straight region championships.

Grundy has never had real big numbers. The years I played during our four years in a row going to the regional championships we were lucky if we 20 to 30 come out. Whittled that down to around 20 by the end of the year. So I'm glad to finally see some kids show up. Can't wait to catch a few games this year, work willing. 

Official count for Gate City is 43 at Media Day. 

Coaches

Head Coach: 

Chris Akers

Assistants:

Tim Burke 

Aaron Daugherty 

Fred Selfe 

Joel Davis 

Jamie Hackney 

Brian Gibson

very young coaching staff that's full of energy. Glad to welcome all the new assistants to Gate City, and welcome back Jamie Hackney as he is a GC grad. 

About 65 "Bears" practicing at Union. The team looks big and fast. I see no reasons why the young men from Appalachia and Big Stone Gap shouldn't be able to continue the successes they've enjoyed during the 2015 and 2016 seasons (13-1 and 11-2).   

GW had 40 on day 1 of practice but alot more are expected to show up after vacations are over. That's how it usually is at GW last year we had around 40 week 1. And ended up with 54 so I think our #s will improve. 

21 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Winning brings kids out period

No question, winning brings out players, but there is something more to it in my opinion. I think winning for a long time matters and Richlands has done that, but still, Gate City has been good for a long time and even longer than Richlands with more titles. This leads me to believe, your Head Coach's ability to sell the program to the town and kids at a young age is equally an important factor. It explains why Richlands has more kids out each year compared to Gate City. GC has had coaching turbulence compared to Mance being there a long time, and winning, but also selling the program and building interest. It sounds like the same thing is happening at Graham with their new coach. Their numbers will likely incease the next few years. With the above written, I am talking about programs of similar size. A school like Robinson in NOVA or Landstown in the Tidewater area are huge schools and will likely have out more kids than Div/Class 2 schools if they have a half way decent program. In these two examples, they certainly do. In the case of Richlands, credit winnig and winning for a long time, but also credit Mance's ability to build enthusiasm and interest in the town which is fueled by winning, but there is still that "it" factor for the coach.